Whole 30 (Strict or Modified) October Challenge

Options
jenkofb
jenkofb Posts: 43 Member
Anyone up for an Oct W30 challenge? I've completed 2.5 rounds (lol) of the W30 and lost about 22 lbs total. I've done strict and modified versions and lost both times. Strict is following the plan to a T. Modified is deciding beforehand that you will allow specific unapproved items decided beforehand and stick to the plan otherwise. The decision is up to you.

So, first and foremost this is NOT a strict W30 Challenge unless you want it to be! But if you do not want it to be strict, list which unapproved items you will allow upfront so that you have a plan to follow.

Also, any exercise/activity goals you may have to go along with your plan.

If you've never done W30, here are the strict rules:

Copied from The Whole30 Program Website
The Whole30 Program Rules

Yes: Eat real food.

Eat moderate portions of meat, seafood, and eggs; lots of vegetables; some fruit; plenty of natural fats; and herbs, spices, and seasonings. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re whole and unprocessed.

No: Avoid for 30 days.

Do not consume added sugar, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, date syrup, stevia, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.
Do not consume alcohol, in any form, not even for cooking. (And ideally, no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, sprouted grains, and all gluten-free pseudo-cereals like quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn, and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch, and so on. Again, read your labels.
Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat, or sheep’s milk products like milk, cream, cheese, kefir, yogurt, sour cream, ice cream, or frozen yogurt.
Do not consume carrageenan, MSG, or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30.
Do not consume baked goods, junk foods, or treats with “approved” ingredients. Recreating or buying sweets, treats, and foods-with-no-brakes (even if the ingredients are technically compliant) is totally missing the point of the Whole30, and will compromise your life-changing results. These are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, even if it’s made with coconut flour.
Some specific foods that fall under this rule include: pancakes, waffles, bread, tortillas, biscuits, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pizza crust, alternative flour pastas, cereal, or ice cream. No commercially-prepared chips (potato, tortilla, plantain, etc.) or French fries either. However, this list is not limited strictly to these items—there may be other foods that you find are not psychologically healthy for your Whole30. Use your best judgment with those foods that aren’t on this list, but that you suspect are not helping you change your habits or break those cravings. Our mantra: When in doubt, leave it out. It’s only 30 days.

One last and final rule:

Do not step on the scale or take any body measurements for 30 days. The Whole30 is about so much more than weight loss, and to focus only on body composition means you’ll overlook all of the other dramatic, lifelong benefits this plan has to offer. So, no weighing yourself, analyzing body fat, or taking comparative measurements during your Whole30. (We do encourage you to weigh yourself before and after, so you can see one of the more tangible results of your efforts when your program is over.)

Post your plan and let's get started!!

Replies

• jenkofb
    Options
    Alrighty then. Here is my plan for a modified W30:

Rule Breakers:

Unapproved items I will eat:
    ketchup/mustard
    salad dressing
    Lara Bars
    Splenda

I will also be weighing myself.

Exercise/Activity Goals: At least 3 times a week for 40+ minutes

Long term goal: Use this challenge to quit chips for good. As a reference point, I have not had desserts since Feb and I quit them during my first W30.

• jenkofb
    Options
    Okay, so it is Day 1 and I guess I am all alone in this, lol. My plan is to eat W30 with listed unapproved items. Walk my dog and maybe do a bike ride. Starting weight is 178.8.
  • jenkofb
    Options
    Day 1 - success!

Here's what I ate: 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 handfuls of nuts, grilled chicken with cucumbers and tomatoes and vinaigrette, Lara bar.

Walked for 50 mins.

Weight: 176.8

• jenkofb
    Options
    Day 2 - success

Food: 3 hard-boiled eggs, handful of nuts, rotisserie chicken, kale salad with poppyseed dressing, Lara bar.

Weight: 175.4
  • jenkofb
    Options
    Day 3 -- success

Food: 3 hard boiled eggs, few handfuls of nuts, pork chops, plain baked pot, Lara bar.

Weight 175.4
  • _Deviant
    _Deviant Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. I'll join this.
  • jenkofb
    Options
    Day 4 -- success

Food: 3 hard boiled eggs, handful nuts, grilled chicken salad with ranch dressing, Lara bar, orange.

Exercise: 1 hour at gym. Stairmill - 10 mins, 20 min walk, weight training, body weight squats, etc.

Weight: 175.4
  • FaileAybara
    FaileAybara Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We are starting this on Monday so I will join your post :-)

We are doing the whole family, though my youngest will be allowed milk because she cried about that when we talked about it as a family and I don't think it is mentally healthy to deny a 8 year old like that.

My exercise goals are a brisk walk at least 4 times a week for 45 min to an hour. Once I hit that regularly I will look at adding more intense exercise.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    jenkofb wrote: »
    Anyone up for an Oct W30 challenge? I've completed 2.5 rounds (lol) of the W30 and lost about 22 lbs total. I've done strict and modified versions and lost both times. Strict is following the plan to a T. Modified is deciding beforehand that you will allow specific unapproved items decided beforehand and stick to the plan otherwise. The decision is up to you.

So, first and foremost this is NOT a strict W30 Challenge unless you want it to be! But if you do not want it to be strict, list which unapproved items you will allow upfront so that you have a plan to follow.

Also, any exercise/activity goals you may have to go along with your plan.

If you've never done W30, here are the strict rules:

Copied from The Whole30 Program Website
    The Whole30 Program Rules

Yes: Eat real food.

Eat moderate portions of meat, seafood, and eggs; lots of vegetables; some fruit; plenty of natural fats; and herbs, spices, and seasonings. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re whole and unprocessed.

No: Avoid for 30 days.

Do not consume added sugar, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, date syrup, stevia, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.
    Do not consume alcohol, in any form, not even for cooking. (And ideally, no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
    Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, sprouted grains, and all gluten-free pseudo-cereals like quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn, and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch, and so on. Again, read your labels.
    Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
    Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat, or sheep’s milk products like milk, cream, cheese, kefir, yogurt, sour cream, ice cream, or frozen yogurt.
    Do not consume carrageenan, MSG, or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30.
    Do not consume baked goods, junk foods, or treats with “approved” ingredients. Recreating or buying sweets, treats, and foods-with-no-brakes (even if the ingredients are technically compliant) is totally missing the point of the Whole30, and will compromise your life-changing results. These are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, even if it’s made with coconut flour.
    Some specific foods that fall under this rule include: pancakes, waffles, bread, tortillas, biscuits, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pizza crust, alternative flour pastas, cereal, or ice cream. No commercially-prepared chips (potato, tortilla, plantain, etc.) or French fries either. However, this list is not limited strictly to these items—there may be other foods that you find are not psychologically healthy for your Whole30. Use your best judgment with those foods that aren’t on this list, but that you suspect are not helping you change your habits or break those cravings. Our mantra: When in doubt, leave it out. It’s only 30 days.

One last and final rule:

Do not step on the scale or take any body measurements for 30 days. The Whole30 is about so much more than weight loss, and to focus only on body composition means you’ll overlook all of the other dramatic, lifelong benefits this plan has to offer. So, no weighing yourself, analyzing body fat, or taking comparative measurements during your Whole30. (We do encourage you to weigh yourself before and after, so you can see one of the more tangible results of your efforts when your program is over.)

Post your plan and let's get started!!

Thanks for spelling out the rules since I have never seen them before that I recall. Except for the dairy I have been eating this way for four years now. It has been a lifesaver to me.