Gastric Sleeve

Options
Hello! So It’s recently been suggested to me by my physician to look into weight loss surgery..with several things I have going on it seems like a good option. Yes I’m aware this is no miracle solution, it’s a complete change and is merely a tool to help me but I’m willing to take that leap. So those of you that have had either sleeve or bypass, did you have any complications? What was your recovery like and how long did it take for you to see changes? Any regrets? Thanks all!

Replies

• RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Not personal experience, but I know one person who had the procedure. She achieved half of her desired weight loss, started regaining, and has now stalled for a year. It certainly is no cure for weight, just a tool as you say, to use or not use. WLS addresses nothing regarding the mental reasons why people overeat.
    On the other hand my sister had gastric sleeve and through what she says is very hard work, has maintained her weight loss for 5 years. From what I checked out online, the overall success rate for WLS is about 50%.
  • sinha23
    sinha23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi...Sleeve Gastrectomy is a completely safe procedure and is minimally invasive in nature. I do not have a personal experience with the procedure but I am working for a healthcare company so fairly knowledgeable on the subject. It is a good option for people with BMI over 40. However, you have to keep a watch on your diet etc. This link has all the information that you would probably want to consider https://medigence.com/treatment/sleeve-gastrectomy
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    AreneeS22 wrote: »
    Hello! So It’s recently been suggested to me by my physician to look into weight loss surgery..with several things I have going on it seems like a good option. Yes I’m aware this is no miracle solution, it’s a complete change and is merely a tool to help me but I’m willing to take that leap. So those of you that have had either sleeve or bypass, did you have any complications? What was your recovery like and how long did it take for you to see changes? Any regrets? Thanks all!

I don't have any regrets. No complications. Recovery was harder than I thought it was going to be but I feel fine now. It's not a cure all. You still have temptations to eat too much and the wrong foods but it does make it easier to stop when you should. You still need a lifestyle change (eating well, exercising and getting mind off food), IMO. I had the sleeve done in June and am down about 50 lbs now. I lost 60 on my own before surgery. It makes it so much easier to stick to eating less. Before surgery it was like I had to struggle every day with eating less and every day seemed long and now it is easier. I just have some days like that.
  • BuccaneersFan
    BuccaneersFan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is worth it. You still have to do all the things a person on a diet would do, plus deal with the fact that you can no longer absorb all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs. All the surgery does is force you to cut calories, it's no miracle. The only reason they consider the surgery a safe alternative is because they believe the person is in such bad health from being overweight that it's no riskier. If you were only 30lbs. overweight, and you were going to pay for the surgery out of pocket, there is no doctor that would ever recommend the surgery! In fact they would tell you it's unsafe.

I personally think the sleeve is way to risky, I would do a lap band before having part of my stomach cut out. There is no going back with the sleeve, whereas the lap band can be adjusted and even removed altogether.

Long term complications: https://www.verywellhealth.com/long-term-complications-after-gastric-sleeve-surgery-4158320
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had gastric sleeve surgery 5 years ago and have been successful. I had a very easy recovery and no issues as a result. I have zero regrets. I am healthier and living a better quality of life than I ever cold have imagined. I have maintained a healthy lifestyle after surgery which is a must - surgery is not the be-all, end all, like others have said you still have to do the work. It's a very personal and individual decision and surgery is not for everyone. I chose surgery because I was pushing 400 lbs and felt it would help me get out of danger faster, and that it would provide me some of the extra checks and balances I would need going forward, which it has. On the general boards here you will get a lot of opinions that are helpful but not necessarily based on experience - I suggest posting your questions in this group, they are brutally honest and helpful and they will absolutely tell you about ALL experience, the bad and the good - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband