FINALLY GOT A GIRLFRIEND!!!

Options
SeresaEarl
SeresaEarl Posts: 11 Member
After years of rejection... I decided to workout. From scrawny and nerdy to less scrawny and still nerdy... WAM! Any relational advice for asking the right questions?

Replies

• IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Great job. Have fun, make sure you don't take her for granted, and value yourself in the relationship.
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Take it slow!
    Get to know her.
    Have fun and enjoy each other’s company.
    Make her laugh!
  • marksweightloss
    marksweightloss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Take it slow!
    Get to know her.
    Make her laugh!

That's great advice!

• SeresaEarl
    Options
    Great job. Have fun, make sure you don't take her for granted, and value yourself in the relationship.

Wow, that really helps, thanks!
  • SeresaEarl
    Options
    Take it slow!
    Get to know her.
    Make her laugh!

That's great advice!

That is good advice, but what about when it starts getting awkward? I feel like I just ask the dumbest questions all the time..

• huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Does your girlfriend like to talk?

My hubby is the strong silent type, which works for me because I like to talk.
    So just be there and listen to her.
    She's not really looking for you to solve any problems...

OH: maybe you can talk about the 5 love languages, to find out HOW she likes to be loved.

I love #4 Acts of Service:
    - unload the dishwasher, charge my electric car, bring the laundry up from the basement.

I can't stand #3 Receiving Gifts:
    - it's usually the wrong size or he spent WAY too much (of OUR money), etc.

5 Love Languages

1. Words of affirmation
    According to Dr. Chapman, this language uses words to affirm other people. For those who prefer the words of affirmation language, hearing "I love you" and other compliments are what they value the most. Words hold real value within this language. Furthermore, negative or insulting comments cut deep — and won't be easily forgiven.

2. Quality time
    This language is all about giving the other person your undivided attention. Unlike the words of affirmation language, talk is cheap and being a loved one's main focus leaves quality timers feeling satisfied and comforted. Distractions, postponed dates, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful to these individuals. Being there for them is crucial.

3. Receiving gifts
    Dr. Chapman says for some people, what makes them feel most loved is to receive a tangible gift. This doesn't necessarily mean the person is materialistic, but a meaningful or thoughtful present it was makes them feel appreciated.

4. Acts of service
    For these people, actions speak louder than words. People who speak the language of service want their partner to recognize that their life is rough and help them out in any way possible. Lending a helping hand shows you really care. People who thrive on this language do not deal well with broken promises — or perceived laziness — and have very little tolerance for people who make more work for them. Basically, if you're not willing to show your appreciation by doing them a favor, you're saying you don't value them.

5. Physical touch
    To this person, nothing speaks more deeply than appropriate touch. That doesn't mean only in the bedroom — everyday physical connections, like hand-holding, kissing, or any type of re-affirming physical contact is greatly appreciated. A person who speaks the language of physical touch isn't necessarily an over-the-top PDA'er, but getting a little touchy-feely does make them feel safe and loved. Any instance of physical abuse is a total deal breaker.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Always ask about Texas.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    SeresaEarl wrote: »
    Take it slow!
    Get to know her.
    Make her laugh!

That's great advice!

That is good advice, but what about when it starts getting awkward? I feel like I just ask the dumbest questions all the time..

always try to say less, instead of more.
    you wanna guide the convo sure, but only ask questions you really do wanna know basically- don't just try to fill the empty air with empty questions.

and let her talk as much as she wants. you wanna be the one who listens more instead of just talking over her.
    basically try to treat her like she's in a romantic movie, but she's the star, not you.
    you can keep her as long as you make her feel like that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How old are you OP?
  • SeresaEarl
    Options
    huango wrote: »
    Does your girlfriend like to talk?

My hubby is the strong silent type, which works for me because I like to talk.
    So just be there and listen to her.
    She's not really looking for you to solve any problems...

OH: maybe you can talk about the 5 love languages, to find out HOW she likes to be loved.

I love #4 Acts of Service:
    - unload the dishwasher, charge my electric car, bring the laundry up from the basement.

I can't stand #3 Receiving Gifts:
    - it's usually the wrong size or he spent WAY too much (of OUR money), etc.

5 Love Languages

1. Words of affirmation
    According to Dr. Chapman, this language uses words to affirm other people. For those who prefer the words of affirmation language, hearing "I love you" and other compliments are what they value the most. Words hold real value within this language. Furthermore, negative or insulting comments cut deep — and won't be easily forgiven.

2. Quality time
    This language is all about giving the other person your undivided attention. Unlike the words of affirmation language, talk is cheap and being a loved one's main focus leaves quality timers feeling satisfied and comforted. Distractions, postponed dates, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful to these individuals. Being there for them is crucial.

3. Receiving gifts
    Dr. Chapman says for some people, what makes them feel most loved is to receive a tangible gift. This doesn't necessarily mean the person is materialistic, but a meaningful or thoughtful present it was makes them feel appreciated.

4. Acts of service
    For these people, actions speak louder than words. People who speak the language of service want their partner to recognize that their life is rough and help them out in any way possible. Lending a helping hand shows you really care. People who thrive on this language do not deal well with broken promises — or perceived laziness — and have very little tolerance for people who make more work for them. Basically, if you're not willing to show your appreciation by doing them a favor, you're saying you don't value them.

5. Physical touch
    To this person, nothing speaks more deeply than appropriate touch. That doesn't mean only in the bedroom — everyday physical connections, like hand-holding, kissing, or any type of re-affirming physical contact is greatly appreciated. A person who speaks the language of physical touch isn't necessarily an over-the-top PDA'er, but getting a little touchy-feely does make them feel safe and loved. Any instance of physical abuse is a total deal breaker.

This is so incredibly helpful. She is not a talker, but she is only when it comes to something she feels really passionate about! She definitely has the love language of quality time and acts of service. Dang! Thank you so much!

• SeresaEarl
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    Take it slow!
    Get to know her.
    Make her laugh!

That's great advice!

you wanna guide the convo sure, but only ask questions you really do wanna know basically- don't just try to fill the empty air with empty questions.

and let her talk as much as she wants. you wanna be the one who listens more instead of just talking over her.
    basically try to treat her like she's in a romantic movie, but she's the star, not you.

Interesting, she doesn’t say too much, so it is hard to guide the convo when neither of us are saying anything. But I definitely agree that I should stop asking random questions to fill the air. Thanks for the insight!

• slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Take it slow!
    Get to know her.
    Make her laugh!

That's great advice!

Interesting, she doesn’t say too much, so it is hard to guide the convo when neither of us are saying anything. But I definitely agree that I should stop asking random questions to fill the air. Thanks for the insight!

Being comfortable together with no talking can be a really good thing.
  • SeresaEarl
    Options
    -just be yourself, the right girl will like you for you.
    -take it slow, or you’ll be in a race towards the end.
    -don’t be one of those people who ditch their friends when they get into a relationship.
    -be kind, show respect and careful with your words when angry.
    - a tight hug and forehead kiss wins you brownie points.

Congrats on the bulking! Have fun with your new girl :)

This is gold! This sounds like its from personal experience, thanks for sharing this!
  • SeresaEarl
    Options
    slessofme wrote: »
    Take it slow!
    Get to know her.
    Make her laugh!

That's great advice!

Being comfortable together with no talking can be a really good thing.

Possibly, I just may be over thinking too much, but I don’t think we feel comfortable when we both aren’t talking.