Weight-loss struggles amongst so many success stories

Options

Replies

• bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I wish the food industry made it easier to live more healthily. Not even lose weight because there are loads of pills and fad diets to ‘help’ you there.
    It’s hard to make good choices in this day and age. Who agrees?!?

It's both easy and hard. Depends on your lifestyle.

Modern packaging has tons of information concerning nutrition. That helps. The issue is most processed items have TONS of sodium. A good guide is that you should average between 1-2mg of sodium per Calorie (Kcal) consumed each day. One can of chicken noodle soup with 2 servings is 200 calories total, but 690mg of sodium per serving! That's past the minimum, and over half-way past the maximum sodium you should consume each day.

I'm not someone who preaches "Paleo" or "Organic", especially if you are on a budget. That being said, those products are sometimes better than average consumer products when it comes to nutrition. Not always. Also, low/no sugar usually means high fat, and low/no fat usually means high sugar. I would say having a big freezer, and cooking/prepping meals and desserts in advance makes it easier. You are in control of your nutrition. I spent a day making a ton of food yesterday, and now I have meals for the next couple weeks ready to go.

Ultimately, it comes down to research. The tools are out there to make that part easy. It's the time and effort that makes it hard.

As a side note, I buy small containers/bags for snacks. I pre-measure and leave them in my drawer at work. That way I can pull it out and know what I'm getting without having to measure or do any thinking. Also, it's nice if you want to share... :-)
  • svlofthouse
    svlofthouse Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @bigbandjohn that sodium tip is excellent and I’ll start using that. MFP’s always telling me that I go over my sodium guideline.
    I’ll also try that meal prep and snack trick. Especially snacks - I try not to snack but sometimes lunch seems an awfully long way away!
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I wish the food industry made it easier to live more healthily. Not even lose weight because there are loads of pills and fad diets to ‘help’ you there.
    It’s hard to make good choices in this day and age. Who agrees?!?

Yup, sometimes it is, I still go to KFC some days, even when I bring my lunch...
  • jrdockham
    jrdockham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    svlofthouse

All I can offer you is my experience. I weighted 240 and I’m 5 foot 4 in. I had a gastric bypass because I had tried everything, and nothing worked. I lost the weight and was down around 120, but I gained it back to 160. So I had to find a solution, and everyone will tell you will power is the key. For me, it was finding a support group who ate like I did. I changed the way I ate removing sugar and most carbs, weighing and measuring every. Not everyone needs to weight and measure, but for me I have too because I can’t tell 2 lbs of protein from 4lbs. Honestly, I’m a piggy and can justify eating the 4 lb too. I have to be accountable for what I put in my mouth, and using a scale and logging it helps. The other thing that has really help me is preparing my food ahead of time and taking it with me. Sometimes I can’t get health food in places and I have to pack my own food.
    Hope this helps...keep trying.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If you don't log you are only cheating yourself. Log everything, that way it might make you make different choices. Learn from it. It takes time to lose weight, so try to be patient and stick with it, you will be glad you did.

I tend to agree with this. Logging those surplus calories is painful, right? EXACTLY. It forces you to take a hard look at what you did, rather than stay in denial.
  • bigbandjohn
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Try leaving bread, potatoes, rice, pasta,cereal, and anything with sugar out of your diet. Stock up on Dannon yogurt, 80 calories, keep boiled eggs on hand, and turkey slices, a little fruit. Very carefully, log everything you eat. You will lose weight

And after a week or 2, chances are you’ll have an epic binge!

How about instead of that extremely limited diet, eat foods you like, weigh and log (not just log), stay in your deficit and you will lose weight - kind of how I lost 98 lbs eating bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereal and sugar along with many other foods.

I agree.... I'm not the type to recommend total denial especially if you love something. What worked for rachelannette may work for you, or it may not. For me, what worked was moderation. I strictly did do the shiritake pasta substitute for a while and it helps, but even so having real pasta occasionally is nice.

Heck, most nights when doing super strict, I had a small Peppermint Patty as a snack. that 50 calories was a welcome treat. Again, we are all different.
  • svlofthouse
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Try leaving bread, potatoes, rice, pasta,cereal, and anything with sugar out of your diet. Stock up on Dannon yogurt, 80 calories, keep boiled eggs on hand, and turkey slices, a little fruit. Very carefully, log everything you eat. You will lose weight

And after a week or 2, chances are you’ll have an epic binge!

How about instead of that extremely limited diet, eat foods you like, weigh and log (not just log), stay in your deficit and you will lose weight - kind of how I lost 98 lbs eating bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereal and sugar along with many other foods.

Yeah it’s so hard. You want to lose weight, but a restrictive diet (that would work for weight loss) eventually causes a binge that sabotages your efforts. Do you believe that all calories are created equal??
  • bigbandjohn
    Options

Yeah it’s so hard. You want to lose weight, but a restrictive diet (that would work for weight loss) eventually causes a binge that sabotages your efforts. Do you believe that all calories are created equal??

A can of Coke (140 calories) is less healthy and less filling than 140 calories worth of lettuce. Although, 140 calories of spinach has more of certain nutrients (e.g. iron) than the lettuce and is as filling. Mind you, if you cook the spinach, water will cook out and the perceived portion will become a lot smaller for the same amount of calories.

Calories = energy. Nutrients are separate from the formula.

1gram carb or protein = 4 calories
    1gram fat = 9 calories

So, based on those numbers, not all calories are equal. Also, a carb acts different in your body than protein, and both are different than fats. Different types of fats also act different. That reminds me, different types of carbs act different as well (sugars vs. starches).

Sorry if I'm overcomplicating things.
  • bigbandjohn
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You don't get bonus points for eating a 100% virtuous foods/drinks diet. You have to find the balance, and that's very individual. I try to prelog all my protein, veggies, and whole grains and see where I stand. Then see if I can fit some treats or not. I try to focus on getting enough of what I need more of, rather than what I need to avoid. I find when I do that it all works itself out :drinker:

Well said!
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps me is to stay off the scale! I know for some people this has the opposite impact, but for me, when I weigh myself and don't see a number I was hoping for, I get EXTREMELY discouraged. Nothing can cause me to binge faster than not losing as much weight as I hoped. I get that this may sound weird, but for some reason in my head if I "didn't lose enough", something happens subconsciously in my head that causes me to say screw it, I'm not succeeding so what's the point?!

I realize my thoughts are NOT true, but in my head, telling myself that it's enough just doesn't work. I weigh myself once per month. This helps me not be as obsessive, and usually seeing a more substantial drop because I've waited a whole month between weigh ins makes me feel more motivated.

Good luck!
  • svlofthouse
    Options

A can of Coke (140 calories) is less healthy and less filling than 140 calories worth of lettuce. Although, 140 calories of spinach has more of certain nutrients (e.g. iron) than the lettuce and is as filling. Mind you, if you cook the spinach, water will cook out and the perceived portion will become a lot smaller for the same amount of calories.

Calories = energy. Nutrients are separate from the formula.

1gram carb or protein = 4 calories
    1gram fat = 9 calories

So, based on those numbers, not all calories are equal. Also, a carb acts different in your body than protein, and both are different than fats. Different types of fats also act different. That reminds me, different types of carbs act different as well (sugars vs. starches).

Sorry if I'm overcomplicating things.

No that’s fascinating. I’d really love to know more; especially about the different types of fats and carbs.
    I’ll definitely have a think about the differences between nutrients and calories the next time I meal prep.