timbotina
timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
Looking for some soup recipes. Creamed soups a plus ❤️

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    This recipe is similar to a family favorite, I make it slightly different. You could make it creamier by pureeing some of the beans.

Cuban Black Bean Soup
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/black-bean-soup-recipe-1916368
    I don't use ketchup, I add more types of spices, more cilantro/coriander and a LOT more lime.

THIS IS AWESOME! (This broke me of the idea that cilantro taste like soap)

To make it vegan eliminate the bacon and use vegetable broth.

• MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    https://pinchofyum.com/sweet-potato-peanut-soup
    I just made this Spicy Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup

Recipe Notes:
    This was delicious. I also added 8 oz riced butternut squash, and subbed the kale for a full 6 oz bag of baby spinach, still chopped.
    We did probably 3/4" sweet potato cubes, could have gone a little smaller.
    It simmered much longer than the recipe suggested it might take; next time I would keep the lid partially on, which would help it cook faster and also retain more liquid - mine definitely finished as a chili/stew and not a soup, liquid-wise.
    But it was warm and hearty and tasty and very, very nice last Sunday (cold, gray, rainy).

And then for funsies I instant-potted two boneless/skinless chicken breasts over broth and seasoned with hot madras curry powder (used that + garam masala to season the soup), shredded, stirred in at the end, and then instand-potted rice in the broth/chicken liquid to serve the chunky stew over. I think this worked really well with shredded chicken; I don't think that cubed chicken would have been as good.

We got 8 servings out of this, with each serving coming in at ~550 cals, including chicken and brown rice. Obviously you'd want to do your own calorie calc by ingredient weight because sweet potatoes have a big impact - and WEIGH your peanuts/PB!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    I like soupe au pistou. You can use a official version of the recipe such as this
    https://www.davidlebovitz.com/soupe-au-pistou-french-vegetable-soup-recipe/

My cheat's version is to boil two cups of mixed frozen vegetables in enough water to call it a soup. Toss in a can of white beans and a chopped tomato, skin, seeds and all. Add a stock cube. Put a large dollop of pesto in each bowl and ladle in the vegetable soup.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like Jaime Olivers Asparagus soup recipe. I do dink around with the seasonings a bit though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do you have an immersion blender? It makes “cream” soups that much easier to make.

Curried red lentil:
    https://pin.it/b5nhcasihh2xoi

Spicy Black Bean:
    https://pin.it/frsnhnciexugrd
  • HeidiLAQ
    HeidiLAQ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Jaime Olivers Asparagus soup recipe. I do dink around with the seasonings a bit though.

And asparagus is a great vegetable to eat for weight loss because it's a natural diuretic, helps you shed that excess water weight.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite soup:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/56927/delicious-ham-and-potato-soup/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringContentType=Search&clickId=cardslot 13

I add in 2-3 slices of chopped up cooked bacon too lol. I wouldn't bother with that but my husband says it tastes better that way.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I love bean soups/ or ham and bean type meals but I can't really eat them without having... issues. Which is a real bummer. Black bean soup, ham and beans, split pea soup, etc. :( All delicious but I can't eat them.
  • timbotina
    Options
    Oh, gonna try asparagus soup 😍
  • FrostysHouse
    FrostysHouse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculously good and easy, and can be made pretty much with all pantry ingredients:
    Curried Lentil, Tomato, and Coconut Soup
  • timbotina
    Options
    This is ridiculously good and easy, and can be made pretty much with all pantry ingredients:
    Curried Lentil, Tomato, and Coconut Soup

This sounds delicious
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Roasted tomato soup.

Roast tomatoes on baking sheet with an onion and garlic cloves. Remove from oven, add chicken stock (or vegetable) but I use homemade chicken stock because I have it, puree with immersion blender, add greek yogurt until you get the 'creaminess' you want, salt, pepper, some cayenne. Serve with grilled cheese. Perfect meal.
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    timbotina wrote: »

I make a very low sodium, sugar free, low fat squash soup. Here's the recipe:

4 Cups 1" cubed, raw butternut squash
    1 small red apple, cored and cut into 1" pieces
    1 small diced white onion
    1 cup fat free, no salt added. Swanson's chicken broth
    2 tsp real maple syrup
    1/8th tsp nutmeg
    1 tbsp butter

Begin by melting the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add in the butternut cubes. Cover and cook in medium for 20 minutes to 30 minutes, checking to make sure its not burning or sticking (if it is, lower the heat).

When the cubes are tender but not completely soft, stir in the onion and apple. Cover and continue to cook on medium for another 20 minutes or until everything is softened.

Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cover for another 20 minutes or until everything is kind of mushy.

In batches of 1/2 of the blender height, place in both chunks and liquid and puree the ever lovin' out of it! You will want to put each batch into a large measuring cup or bowl.

Once all is done, bring together in the pot, on low, and add the syrup and nutmeg. Stir and serve warm or place in containers in fridge. FREEZES WELL!!!

Because I don't add in any sugar or salt, all you really taste is the squash itself. If you want salt, you can add it though. I sometimes put a drizzle of Mexican Crema (Cacique) on the top. 3ct0uszmehrj.jpg

If you use a NINJA or other heavy weight blender, you can puree it so smooth!
  • timbotina
    Options
    OddDitty wrote: »
    timbotina wrote: »

I make a very low sodium, sugar free, low fat squash soup. Here's the recipe:

4 Cups 1" cubed, raw butternut squash
    1 small red apple, cored and cut into 1" pieces
    1 small diced white onion
    1 cup fat free, no salt added. Swanson's chicken broth
    2 tsp real maple syrup
    1/8th tsp nutmeg
    1 tbsp butter

Begin by melting the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add in the butternut cubes. Cover and cook in medium for 20 minutes to 30 minutes, checking to make sure its not burning or sticking (if it is, lower the heat).

When the cubes are tender but not completely soft, stir in the onion and apple. Cover and continue to cook on medium for another 20 minutes or until everything is softened.

Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cover for another 20 minutes or until everything is kind of mushy.

In batches of 1/2 of the blender height, place in both chunks and liquid and puree the ever lovin' out of it! You will want to put each batch into a large measuring cup or bowl.

Once all is done, bring together in the pot, on low, and add the syrup and nutmeg. Stir and serve warm or place in containers in fridge. FREEZES WELL!!!

Because I don't add in any sugar or salt, all you really taste is the squash itself. If you want salt, you can add it though. I sometimes put a drizzle of Mexican Crema (Cacique) on the top. 3ct0uszmehrj.jpg

If you use a NINJA or other heavy weight blender, you can puree it so smooth!

OMG this sounds so healthy and Delicious 😋
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Always start with a good base - some chicken or beef bones will do. Let them simmer for an hour or so. Add vegetables which are in season - sometimes I puree the veggies once they are soft - instant creaminess without added calories.