NEEDED Good soup recipe

Options
2»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/thai-red-chicken-soup/

^^ this right there is the most flavoursome soup I've made recently - easy to make, 5 ingredients but I add more veggies to bulk up the nutrition - using the recipe builder here my portion of that is under 400 cals for it - win win :smile:
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    My favorite easy soup is equal portions of black beans and salsa. Heat it up then use an immersion blender to soup it. Serve with cheese and chips if you're feeling fancy. (Note: all of the flavor comes from the salsa, so use a salsa you really like)
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    timbotina wrote: »
    OddDitty wrote: »
    Looking for some soup recipes. Creamed soups a plus ❤️

I make a very low sodium, sugar free, low fat squash soup. Here's the recipe:

4 Cups 1" cubed, raw butternut squash
    1 small red apple, cored and cut into 1" pieces
    1 small diced white onion
    1 cup fat free, no salt added. Swanson's chicken broth
    2 tsp real maple syrup
    1/8th tsp nutmeg
    1 tbsp butter

Begin by melting the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add in the butternut cubes. Cover and cook in medium for 20 minutes to 30 minutes, checking to make sure its not burning or sticking (if it is, lower the heat).

When the cubes are tender but not completely soft, stir in the onion and apple. Cover and continue to cook on medium for another 20 minutes or until everything is softened.

Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cover for another 20 minutes or until everything is kind of mushy.

In batches of 1/2 of the blender height, place in both chunks and liquid and puree the ever lovin' out of it! You will want to put each batch into a large measuring cup or bowl.

Once all is done, bring together in the pot, on low, and add the syrup and nutmeg. Stir and serve warm or place in containers in fridge. FREEZES WELL!!!

Because I don't add in any sugar or salt, all you really taste is the squash itself. If you want salt, you can add it though. I sometimes put a drizzle of Mexican Crema (Cacique) on the top. 3ct0uszmehrj.jpg

If you use a NINJA or other heavy weight blender, you can puree it so smooth!

OMG this sounds so healthy and Delicious 😋

It really is. And if you want to salt it up, you can.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    OddDitty wrote: »
    Looking for some soup recipes. Creamed soups a plus ❤️

I make a very low sodium, sugar free, low fat squash soup. Here's the recipe:

4 Cups 1" cubed, raw butternut squash
    1 small red apple, cored and cut into 1" pieces
    1 small diced white onion
    1 cup fat free, no salt added. Swanson's chicken broth
    2 tsp real maple syrup
    1/8th tsp nutmeg
    1 tbsp butter

Begin by melting the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add in the butternut cubes. Cover and cook in medium for 20 minutes to 30 minutes, checking to make sure its not burning or sticking (if it is, lower the heat).

When the cubes are tender but not completely soft, stir in the onion and apple. Cover and continue to cook on medium for another 20 minutes or until everything is softened.

Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cover for another 20 minutes or until everything is kind of mushy.

In batches of 1/2 of the blender height, place in both chunks and liquid and puree the ever lovin' out of it! You will want to put each batch into a large measuring cup or bowl.

Once all is done, bring together in the pot, on low, and add the syrup and nutmeg. Stir and serve warm or place in containers in fridge. FREEZES WELL!!!

Because I don't add in any sugar or salt, all you really taste is the squash itself. If you want salt, you can add it though. I sometimes put a drizzle of Mexican Crema (Cacique) on the top. 3ct0uszmehrj.jpg

If you use a NINJA or other heavy weight blender, you can puree it so smooth!

This is very similar to a soup I make. Basically I use a bit more stock and add in Apple, Butternut Squash, one large Carrot, an Onion, sometimes some celery even. But I use some Yellow Curry and Cayenne Pepper instead for spice instead of the Maple Syrup and nutmeg. At the end (after you use a Stick Blender) you mix in a can of full fat Coconut Milk. Fantastic with a Grilled Cheese (though we use goat/sheep cheese and GF Bread for my wife's intolerances).
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    https://therecipecritic.com/creamy-tuscan-garlic-tortellini-soup/

I made a variation of this tonight. It's not low calorie per say but 360 calories for a hearty bowl full for dinner works for me.

p3r0jigblw4a.jpg

I halved the butter, used milk instead of cream, cut out the chicken (because I didn't have any on hand), added carrot and extra beans. It was delicious, very quick to put together, and even my insanely picky 7 year old emptied her bowl.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    https://therecipecritic.com/creamy-tuscan-garlic-tortellini-soup/

I made a variation of this tonight. It's not low calorie per say but 360 calories for a hearty bowl full for dinner works for me.

p3r0jigblw4a.jpg

I halved the butter, used milk instead of cream, cut out the chicken (because I didn't have any on hand), added carrot and extra beans. It was delicious, very quick to put together, and even my insanely picky 7 year old emptied her bowl.

LOVE tortellini, and would have to be decent in protein...could definitely slim it down....would be filling so worth the extra calories as a meal paired with a salad ❤️❤️ thanks!!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Clean out the fridge (or freezer) soup. I grew up eating this often thanks to a thrifty mom and it's always a staple at my house. Whenever I have leftovers (even small amounts) I put in a ziploc bag and stick in the freezer.

There's really no recipe, just use what you have on hand.

Start with broth. I use bone broth I've made and stored in the freezer, but you can use canned or boxed broth of any type.

Add whatever chopped veggies and leftover bits of meat you have in the fridge or freezer. Simmer until everything is tender. Salt and pepper to taste. I've thrown in leftover rice and pasta, as well. If not flavorful enough add a can of beans or diced tomatoes. Top with chopped cilantro, parsley, basil or grated parmesan. The options are endless and I've never made a pot that didn't get eaten. :smiley:
  • mamasita76028
    mamasita76028 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Look on Pinterest. search healthy soups. My fave is the Weight watchers Taco soup. I use ground turkey and rotel tomatos for my taste
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yummy ideas!
  • amgpaints
    amgpaints Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Italian Lentil Soup

TOTAL TIME: 55 MINS PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOK TIME: 40 MINS
    INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 cups diced white onion (about 1 large onion)
    1 cup diced carrots (about 2 large carrots, peeled)
    1 cup diced celery (about 2 celery stalks, leaves removed)
    4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    7-8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
    1 cup rinsed lentils (red, green or brown)
    1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
    pinch of crushed red pepper
    2 cups roughly-chopped spinach
    optional toppings: freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, finely-chopped fresh parsley or basil, hot sauce
    DIRECTIONS:

STOVETOP DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery, and saute for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
    Add the stock, lentils, tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, black pepper, and crushed pepper, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer.
    Reduce heat to medium-low and cover the pot partially with the lid. Keeping the soup at a low simmer, continue cooking for about 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender and cooked through, stirring occasionally.
    Stir in the spinach, and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until the greens have softened.
    Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Remove the bay leaves.
    Serve warm, garnished with optional toppings if desired.
    This soup can also be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.

Even better the next day!