Help me run 3 miles

Options
2»

Replies

• divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Try an interval timer - you can download several free ones on your phone. Set a pace... like run 3 minutes, walk 1, etc. That way you can aim for keeping a steady pace? My first 5K that was my initial plan as I wasn't much of a runner. I ended up jogging the whole thing, but there were two guys near me that were doing a version of walk/run throughout the 3 miles and we were basically playing cat and mouse with them the whole time and finishing about the same time - even though I had "jogged" the entire time and they ran/walked. But interval training did help me build up my overall endurance - my last 5K was over 10 minutes faster than that first one!

And good music/playlist always helps me with running outside. Also doing the same route, so I kind of know where the mile markers are and then one day could run to a certain point, the next day aim to run another block past that, etc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lesstjm wrote: »
    After work I will try to just run a slowww 3 miles. If that does not work then I will try the run/walk tomorrow. Thanks for all your input

Do you always run every day?
  • lesstjm
    lesstjm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    eatyogarun wrote: »
    I am not a big fan of C25K either. I feel like it gets you running for 30 minutes, but that's not necessarily 3 miles. I found this program that I think is great because it focuses on distance, not time. I am working on the walking still but if you're already running, it might be a good plan for you to get to that 3 mile mark.

A CONSERVATIVE PLAN FOR THOSE MAKING THE TRANSITION FROM WALKING TO RUNNING

Thanks everyone. I decided to take eatyogarun's advice. I started out at week 7 since I can already run a mile and a half without stopping. I will just keep plugging away.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I have done C25K in the past and it is a great program. This time around I just started doing what I call music interval running. I would plug in headphones and walk for the first song, then run the next, alternating back and forth. Once I got comfortable, I would walk the first song, and run for two. Now I am running 3 miles 4-5 days per week.

Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I hate to run but I love to walk. So I walk.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling to get my miles back up since a ski ankle injury last winter sidelined me for a while. I have been doing 4.3 miles every other day but I think I am going to start running to the gym to work out on the non running days to see if I can kick start the runners high I used to get.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Remember treadmill running is just bouncing on the spot whereas running outside involves propelling yourself forwards.

C25K programs are good but if you're already running 1.5 miles I wouldn't bother with it. Personally i'd just look at implementing a basic run/walk strategy and see how it goes.

Run for 8 mins and walk for 2mins then repeat. 3 times round is 30 mins and probably close to 3 miles. It's better to walk before you're tired than to walk when you can't run any more.

And as other have said, slow down a bit!