Another why can't I lose weight thread

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @Lifterofheavystuff Follow the advice above. Read the information on the posted links. Your weight of 215 is close to mine, which today is 217. I have my activity level set to "sedentary". I log all my exercise and eat most of the awarded calories. My goal is to lose 0.5 lb per week. My calorie budget is 1730 per day, modified by added exercise. Due to the large difference between my calorie budget of 1730 and yours of 2100, I'm going to suggest that you have incorrectly interpreted the instructions on the Settings>Diet/Fitness Profile.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    No I am 5.11 mfp gives me 2100 to work with so I eat at a deficit to that to lose weight I still have about 30 lbs to lose to be at a healthy weight for my height

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

MFP, this poster is a prime example of why this information needs to be front and center both when people sign up and each time they go back to update their diet & fitness profile, as well as guidance on how to choose the proper weekly weight loss goal.

From the number of users I see with this same misunderstanding, you are probably correct. But I have trouble understanding the confusion. It's (to me) perfectly clear that the deficit is built in, and was from the very first time I filled in my profile. Short of a flashing red banner, I'm not sure what they'd do.

It was clear to me too. But it seems silly that a new one would have to go hunt for such basic info.

Flashing red banner sounds good ;)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    No I am 5.11 mfp gives me 2100 to work with so I eat at a deficit to that to lose weight I still have about 30 lbs to lose to be at a healthy weight for my height

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

MFP, this poster is a prime example of why this information needs to be front and center both when people sign up and each time they go back to update their diet & fitness profile, as well as guidance on how to choose the proper weekly weight loss goal.

Yeah, well to be fair, the Setup Wizard in GOALs when you sign up does say, "Choose 1 pound per week." Human nature being what it is and people not doing their own research is the problem. This info is readily available not only in "Help" (at the top of every page) but we harp on this in 80% of the threads on this site. The responsibility was 100% on ME to figure this out based on the mountains of information available.

I still stayed at 1200 about three weeks too long and had to go up about +500 when I hit a wall with no weight loss and just general malaise.
  • try2again
    Options

From the number of users I see with this same misunderstanding, you are probably correct. But I have trouble understanding the confusion. It's (to me) perfectly clear that the deficit is built in, and was from the very first time I filled in my profile. Short of a flashing red banner, I'm not sure what they'd do.

It was clear to me too. But it seems silly that a new one would have to go hunt for such basic info.

Flashing red banner sounds good ;)

I wish they'd do the flashing red banner for recommended rate of loss based on user stats. That's my personal MFP pet peeve :wink:

100% agree :)
  • GlynIrish
    GlynIrish Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes I ate at maintenance for 2 weeks and lowered the workout amount to see would it give me a kick start but made no difference I know I'm not gaining 10lbs of muscle in 3 months so that can't be the case

Just to be clear, are you saying you haven't lost any weight in the last 3 months or that you have actually gained 10 lbs?

I have not lost nor gained any weight in the past 3 months while strength training plus cardio on a restricted diet
  • try2again
    Options

Yeah, well to be fair, the Setup Wizard in GOALs when you sign up does say, "Choose 1 pound per week." Human nature being what it is and people not doing their own research is the problem. This info is readily available not only in "Help" (at the top of every page) but we harp on this in 80% of the threads on this site. The responsibility was 100% on ME to figure this out based on the mountains of information available.

I don't disagree. Personally, I always read the instructions for a new tool before I use it. It is helpful when the instructions are readily available, though, and you don't have to track them down.
  • GlynIrish
    Options
    @Lifterofheavystuff Follow the advice above. Read the information on the posted links. Your weight of 215 is close to mine, which today is 217. I have my activity level set to "sedentary". I log all my exercise and eat most of the awarded calories. My goal is to lose 0.5 lb per week. My calorie budget is 1730 per day, modified by added exercise. Due to the large difference between my calorie budget of 1730 and yours of 2100, I'm going to suggest that you have incorrectly interpreted the instructions on the Settings>Diet/Fitness Profile.

I will look into it and adjust my only thing is I am not abit sedentary unfortunately I don't get time to sit around so if I lower my daily calorie intake like you are suggesting I would be in the same situation considering I only consume between 1200 and 1600 a day anyway
    Thank you for your input I do appreciate it
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options

I will look into it and adjust my only thing is I am not abit sedentary unfortunately I don't get time to sit around so if I lower my daily calorie intake like you are suggesting I would be in the same situation considering I only consume between 1200 and 1600 a day anyway
    Thank you for your input I do appreciate it

I worked in restaurants for a couple decades.

As a male chef in his late 20s or early 30 (just looking at you, sorry if wrong), then I bet your Maintenance calories are somewhere around 3000 per day.

When you go back to your GOALS to reset that "1 pound per week" thing, choose Very Active as your Activity level. I think one of the categories says, "on your feet all day (server)" you are at least as active as that.

Here, more reading:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals
  • GlynIrish
    Options
    easily - i average 2700-3000cal a day - rarely do i have pizza; ice cream on occasion - i eat 330-430g carbs a day; 130g protein and 68-83g fat

But what do you eat to make up that amount of calories
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    bagels; rice; farro; shredded wheat cereal; chicken, greek yogurt, protein shakes - it depends on what i'm feeling on a given day and if i've taken the time to do good meal prep or if i'm flying by the seat of my pants - i've had more microwave dinners recently (healthy choice, evol) because my work hours and then class at night plus marathon training have been kicking my *kitten*
  • GlynIrish
    Options
    bagels; rice; farro; shredded wheat cereal; chicken, greek yogurt, protein shakes - it depends on what i'm feeling on a given day and if i've taken the time to do good meal prep or if i'm flying by the seat of my pants - i've had more microwave dinners recently (healthy choice, evol) because my work hours and then class at night plus marathon training have been kicking my *kitten*

Well done on the marathon training

You must eat these in high amounts to build up those calories
    I eat breakfast a snack few hours later dinner and a snack again at night
    I can't see how I can factor in more food
    I eat healthy no chocolate fried food or takeaway I'm at a bit of a loss with it all at this point
  • GlynIrish
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Bro... 1600 cals. I am 6'3" active... lost 220 lbs... I am at relative maintenance at 3200-3300 cals. 350c 250p 100f

Man that's crazy I just don't know how to get in those calories bud