Lipid Panel Transformation

Options
In 2017, I went to the doctor's for my first physical exam in several years. Most everything came back healthy-ish, and normal-ish except my lipid panel being a little high but not quite a concern yet. I told myself I would make some changes to my eating habits and maybe exercise more (read: exercise any at all) and the problem would go away. I never actually did either of those things, although I did stop eating double cheeseburgers with bacon and fried eggs, so I felt like that was something, right??

In March of 2018 I went back to the Dr for my annual exam, and was disappointed to see that I had gained another 10 pounds over the year, but even worse my cholesterol numbers went up further, and now my blood pressure was in the realm of hypertension. I was faced with the decision of going on cholesterol/BP medicine, and based on my research I realized that coming off of these medications is not easy and sometimes impossible. I felt that I was way too young at 31 to go on medication for potentially the rest of my life, but I also knew that something had to change. Heart disease has plagued half of my family tree, so I couldn't ignore it any longer, and I definitely couldn't pretend to do something about it like last time.

I chose not to go on medicine, and instead immediately started eating a more balanced diet. In August, I joined a gym and started an exercising regimen consisting of both cardio and strength training. Medicine should be a last resort in my opinion, and should only be used in emergencies or when diet and exercise either don't work or aren't as realistic/feasible. Last month (September) my wife and I decided to participate in the Whole 30 program (No booze, grains, soy, dairy, legumes, or added sugars). I just went in for a 6-month follow up with my doctor, and the results are amazing. Aside from the numbers, I feel infinitely better about myself. I have lost a significant amount of weight, but beyond that I have noticed there is way less inflammation throughout my body likely a result of going through Whole30 and one of those food groups reacting poorly with my body in excess (still trying to identify which one so I can get back to a more balanced and sustainable diet). Most importantly, I am more determined than ever to celebrate this victory but also to keep this momentum going.

I wanted to share my numbers, as I am sure others are in a similar situation. I still have some work to do, and even then it will be a continuous effort to maintain because I know if I slack off then I'll be right back where I was. But I am ecstatic at the progress I've made in a short period of time, and even more thrilled knowing that at least for now the only medicine I need is a healthy lifestyle.

March 2018

Weight: 261
Cholesterol, Total: 246
Triglycerides: 214
HDL Cholesterol: 42
VLDL Cholesterol Cal: 43
LDL Cholesterol Calc: 161

LDL/HDL Ratio: 3.8

September 2018 (6 months later)

Weight: 230
Cholesterol, Total: 170
Triglycerides: 64
HDL Cholesterol: 44
VLDL Cholesterol Cal: 13
LDL Cholesterol Calc: 113

LDL/HDL Ratio: 2.6

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Nice! Keep up the good work!
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    After seeing your before/after cholesterol numbers change the way they did, I'm going to give Whole30/exercise a serious attempt to improve my numbers. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm very impressed.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Very impressive; Your hard work has paid off. Keep it up!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Great Job!

I had a similar experience myself! Let me see if I can find my numbers.

Here: September 2017/Sept 2018

Total cholesterol: 252/148
    HDL: 54/54
    LDL: 169/81
    Non HDL Chol: 198/94
    Triglycerides: 143/47
    Chol/HDL Ratio: 4.7/2.7
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    That triglyceride change is amazing. I would look up some ways to improve your HDL but review your cardio a regime and try to incorporate some foods for HDL improvement. You want your HDL higher than your triglycerides.
  • staleysj487
    staleysj487 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    jean133mjg wrote: »
    After seeing your before/after cholesterol numbers change the way they did, I'm going to give Whole30/exercise a serious attempt to improve my numbers. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm very impressed.

I was definitely a skeptic over Whole30 at first but I am officially a believer now. Just know it's not meant to be sustainable beyond the 30 days, and weight loss should not be the primary goal. I suggest starting an exercise regimen a month or 2 before starting Whole30 so you aren't introducing multiple major changes to your body at once. Good luck! There are a ton of great recipes out there to get you through the 30 days!
  • staleysj487
    Options
    Great Job!

I had a similar experience myself! Let me see if I can find my numbers.

Here: September 2017/Sept 2018

Total cholesterol: 252/148
    HDL: 54/54
    LDL: 169/81
    Non HDL Chol: 198/94
    Triglycerides: 143/47
    Chol/HDL Ratio: 4.7/2.7

That is some awesome progress too! Great work!
  • staleysj487
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    That triglyceride change is amazing. I would look up some ways to improve your HDL but review your cardio a regime and try to incorporate some foods for HDL improvement. You want your HDL higher than your triglycerides.

Thank you! I was totally shocked over the triglycerides! I agree I still need to work on my HDL. I started taking fish oil hoping that would help, but more effort is needed there for sure! Do you suggest longer cardio workouts or adding in more cardio days than strengthening? I have typically been doing 30-45 minutes running/elliptical 2-3 days/week.

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »

Thank you! I was totally shocked over the triglycerides! I agree I still need to work on my HDL. I started taking fish oil hoping that would help, but more effort is needed there for sure! Do you suggest longer cardio workouts or adding in more cardio days than strengthening? I have typically been doing 30-45 minutes running/elliptical 2-3 days/week.

I know that years back I researched this and I should have some references I'm going to look up. I would try to hit 3-4 cardio workouts, but try to do 10-20% of your time doing cardio in high intensity levels. For instance finish your run with some sprinting or maybe kettlebell swings.

From a diet perspective if you are doing whole 30 then your diet is pretty clean. Try to avoid polyunsaturated fatty acids (vegetable oils, trans fats, etc) and focus your fats on tropical oils like olive, avocado, coconut, and a lesser extent butter. No need to avoid animal fats but don't go out of your way to eat them either (trim fat off a steak for instance).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!