Side bends and waist

Options
So, to the more experienced...

Is it true that weighted side bends (like, with heavy dumbbells) can make the obliques grow, thus, making your waist look bigger?

Or is it just another ole' misunderstanding/myth (like lifting will make you bulky)?

I literally googled and found conflicting answers... and even though I'm quick to disregard rubbish click-baity myths or exaggerations, I genuinely have the concern that this could be a real thing. Thought I'd ask...

Oh... I'm a woman and while I'd enjoy some strong muscles (and strength train just for that), I'd rather have a smaller waist , you know what I mean? r😬

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Muscles like to grow if you work them.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I was told by a couple of trainers back when I was toying with the idea of doing a figure competition to NEVER do the side bendy things as it would not be good for the symmetry.
  • sophia162
    sophia162 Posts: 115 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Sigh...

I tried to phrase it out to avoid an answer like this, but I guess I should've added: I know muscles grow if you work them ¬¬, but people train abs without the intention of getting a bigger stomach, don't they?

I mean, I know what you're saying is technically true (abs grow, but as you lose fat you lean out anyway and blabla.. and I'm eating at a deficit, btw, so my muscles aren't exactly growing that much anyway), but can you really not figure out what I'm trying to say?

The thing is, most ab exercises are used by everyone... except these ones, which seem to be a big no-no for some people. And it's not because they can hurt the back (like other "conflicted" ab exercises), it's because they can have the opposite effect than we seek for.

The current program I'm doing has them, so I was a bit hesitant doing them. Thought I'd ask people who've been in this longer (and know what to consider and what to disregard = ). )

But thanks for your valuable input, muscles grow if you work them... 😬✌
  • sophia162
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I was told by a couple of trainers back when I was toying with the idea of doing a figure competition to NEVER do the side bendy things as it would not be good for the symmetry.
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    oh yeah and by the way - if you get your lats nice and wide your waist looks smaller :) working for me so far!!

Thanks! = )

I think I'll avoid them as well. The program I'm following has them, but I'll just replace them with any other ab exercise.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i'd say don't do them. do something else instead.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Everything you do is involves your core. Have you read this link? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sophia162 wrote: »

Sigh...

I tried to phrase it out to avoid an answer like this, but I guess I should've added: I know muscles grow if you work them ¬¬, but people train abs without the intention of getting a bigger stomach, don't they?

I mean, I know what you're saying is technically true (abs grow, but as you lose fat you lean out anyway and blabla.. and I'm eating at a deficit, btw, so my muscles aren't exactly growing that much anyway), but can you really not figure out what I'm trying to say?

The thing is, most ab exercises are used by everyone... except these ones, which seem to be a big no-no for some people. And it's not because they can hurt the back (like other "conflicted" ab exercises), it's because they can have the opposite effect than we seek for.

The current program I'm doing has them, so I was a bit hesitant doing them. Thought I'd ask people who've been in this longer (and know what to consider and what to disregard = ). )

I have no idea what you're asking if it's not "does working X muscle make it bigger?" I have no idea why you seem so steamed about the answer.
  • sophia162
    Options
    Everything you do is involves your core. Have you read this link? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Yeah, I read it when I first joined the forums, along with the other stickies ")

But it's a very specific little question I had and that thread doesn't address it, however, between google and a previous answer, I've made up my mind. Thanks (really).
  • sophia162
    edited October 2018
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Sigh...

I have no idea what you're asking if it's not "does working X muscle make it bigger?" I have no idea why you seem so steamed about the answer.

lol, I'm not so steamed... are you? o.O

So people work abs with the sole intention of having a bigger midsection, got it. Silly me ^^
  • L1zardQueen
    Options

Yeah, I read it when I first joined the forums, along with the other stickies ")

But it's a very specific little question I had and that thread doesn't address it, however, between google and a previous answer, I've made up my mind. Thanks (really).

What did you decide? Side bends, yes or no?
  • sophia162
    Options

What did you decide? Side bends, yes or no?

Haha, I decided: nay.

I'm going to skip them and in that part of the workout I'll just do any other more traditional, non-polarized, tried and true ab exercises.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan! Yes
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It happened to me. I was training a lot of weighted side-bends/crunches/planks and rotations. I then backed off and work that area less. Moderation is key.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Sigh...

So people work abs with the sole intention of having a bigger midsection, got it. Silly me ^^

Sigh...

No. Where did I say that? People work them either to become stronger or because they mistakenly think it will result in spot reduction.
  • sophia162
    Options

Sigh...

Sigh...

No. Where did I say that? People work them either to become stronger or because they mistakenly think it will result in spot reduction.

Ah, so you see? "People mistakenly think it will result in spot reduction." So maybe those who are more knowledgeable, can help these less informed people out? Without making them feel dumb or that it's the most obvious thing ever. It's nicer, it's faster.

Anyway, this is basically the one weighted exercise that many fitness instructors seem to say is detrimental to good abs (especially from a woman's usual goal's point of view).

I'm clear that spot reduction is not possible, my question was always more of a: do people here steer away from this particular exercise (for the reason I mentioned: it could make your obliques grow so much your waist actually becomes thicker), or do they disregard this as rubbish and keep it in the mix?

I've gotten two answers from women who avoid them, so that helps me make a better decision.

• sophia162
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    It happened to me. I was training a lot of weighted side-bends/crunches/planks and rotations. I then backed off and work that area less. Moderation is key.

I see, interesting.
    Thanks!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I personally avoid heavy weighted ab work, especially with the obliques and I definitely avoid it while bulking as to not put on muscle there. Even in a deficit I don't overdo it or do any progressive overload or go to failure. My waist looks exactly how I want it to as a result.
  • sophia162
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I personally avoid heavy weighted ab work, especially with the obliques and I definitely avoid it while bulking as to not put on muscle there. Even in a deficit I don't overdo it or do any progressive overload or go to failure. My waist looks exactly how I want it to as a result.

Cool. Thanks, I value the input = )

After reading many articles (which you can never fully trust are quite right, since you can find conflicting point of views on so many subjects) and other fellow women's replies on this thread, I've come to that very conclusion. I'm going to avoid heavy weighted work on the old abs, because it's the one part of my body I don't want to grow, like at all. (It's enough that I have the most stubborn area of fat right there, lolnotlol u.u ha)

So just some bodyweighted ab work to stregthen the core... and leave the weights for all the other muscles.

Thanks again!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do the exercises, get stronger, continue fat loss, take measurements, and you should end up a good place in the end.