Attitude Adjustments! (please share YOURS)

Options

Replies

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Telling myself that I did not wake up like this, no one does. My friend told me that my progres is the result of consistency and endurance. I have been so tempted by the quick result schemes out there that I've lost sight and gratitude for what I have done and what works. I know what to do and how. I just need to focus on that instead of the how long.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,747 Member
    Options
    Personally- I think if it’s hard, your doing something wrong.
    I’ve spent about 15 years doing a diet that was hard, restricting and would leave me giving up. I always wanted quick results. I wanted to be thin yesterday. It was all or nothing for me.
    This time round it’s different. I’m not on a diet so I can’t fall off. This time I told myself, there is no time limit. There is no end goal. I’m just going to eat a little bit better and exercise and if in a years time I’ve maintained and not gained then that is success.
    I also used to think oh I won’t exercise today- one day won’t make a difference. But this time I’ve told myself -
    Every day counts.
    It’s not about perfect, it’s about effort. And when that effort is implemented every single day, great things will happen.
    I’ve changed my attitude now for a year and I’ve lost 42 pound. It hasn’t been hard. I still have all the things I want, Chinese food, chocolate, crisps but I have them in moderation as part of a balanced diet. In the beginning I was exercising to lose weight now I do it because I enjoy it.
    Be kind to yourself. You can do anything you want

I love your whole attitude, but this sticks out for me. I am doing the same thing. A loss is a loss no matter how tiny it seems at the time.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,747 Member
    Options
    susanmc31 wrote: »
    I needed an attitude change so I started a gratitude journal that I do every night and fill in 3 things that I'm grateful for that happened during that particular day. Funny, when you start looking for the good in the day your whole attitude can change.

I did the same thing, it has made such a difference in my life. Not just the weight loss, but my relationships, my peace and mental well being.
  • nicholeunt
    nicholeunt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me the biggest change came from an old boss who told me to stop trying to restrict foods and focus on adding healthy foods. So I eat whatever I want in moderation but if I want seconds I'll eat something healthy (veggies/fruit) and drink water and if I still want more I have more. It is so much more enjoyable than cutting out all the food I love.
  • lunarlake
    lunarlake Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to check my weight multiple times a day, looking for when it would "work."

I will tell you one thing: it gets EASIER. The power of habit kicks in and you are automatically doing the things you need to do to lose weight. Just as I used to mindlessly order the same number on the drive-thru menu is the same way I now mindlessly get ready to go to the gym. And when that happens - when you automatically reach for the healthier option or automatically portion a smaller amount, or automatically start getting in your exercise, that is where the results start showing.

It gets easier the longer you do it. So don't quit.

Reading this has helped me so much today - thank you! It perfectly sums up the approach I’ve been slowly working towards, as I also have that big internal child making a noise over it being “so hard”. The truth is that I am lucky that my body is strong enough to let me work out, and I get to eat great nourishing food - that awareness is usually enough to keep that internal child quiet and the adult me focused on the prize.... but not always 🙂. Sometimes what’s needed is to read a thoughtful and very positive post like yours.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Lots of things. Part of which is reminding myself that this isn’t hard, this is easy.. I know exactly what I have to do to lose fat, and when I do it, I lose fat.. it’s literally that simple.

Yes, taller people get more calories, as do people with more to lose, as do males, as do people who work out more than I do... but it’s a simple math equation. I have set mfp up to reflect that (I have my maintenance calories set as my daily total and whatever is ‘leftover’ is fat loss... 7700 calories leftover (whether it be over a week or a month) is 1kg... I’d rather it be over a week or two than a month or two so I find myself getting more creative with cutting calories).

What I do find is that this is boring... it seems like it will go on FOREVER... and so I change things up, I eat different food (as long as I hit my protein goal then I’m happy), I changed my workout plan to one which progresses every workout (StrongLifts), I have found low cal alternatives - reduced fat spray cream on my fruit saves me 40odd cals, shiritaki noodles instead of rice noodles in my soup saves me 150 odd, cauliflower rice saves me 100 or so cal.. if I do all three of those in one day then it’s 300cal... and I can eat something delicious like a wispa bar or two instead 😉 or that’s a 2000 cal saving a week... which is .25kg... it all adds up.

I’m eating better and more varied foods because it means I can eat more in my calorie allowance, I exercise to become strong because muscle looks good, it prevents bone density loss, it’s important for my work to prevent injuries, and it’s bad *kitten* to surprise people when I can lift heavy stuff as a short female and I keep reminding myself that the more I get off my *kitten* and do these things... the less time it will take, the more it will become habit (so I don’t have to focus on it so much) and the less bored of it I will be :)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    potokat wrote: »
    "What are some bad attitudes you had to overcome? How did you change your thinking, or what do you tell yourself that helps you lose weight?"
    I'm 39, lost almost 60 pounds over the last 2.5 years, former yo-yo dieter. One of the big reasons I decided I had to change is because I was tired of being tired. I live in Colorado, land of people who are super fit, and I couldn't even walk down the street without being out of breath. At 37 I decided I wanted to learn to snowboard, and there were days I'd go down the bunny hill once and be done, because I didn't have the stamina to continue. I took a long look at what I wanted to be able to do, and whether or not my sedentary life of Taco Bell, craft beer, and Diablo was making me truly happy. Short answer: no. It helped that my parents are in terrible shape, refuse to exercise, and continue to eat garbage. My dad is on so many medications I've lost track, and everything started to go downhill for him in his early 40s, which isn't too far off for me. So I had all kinds of motivation of the negative sort. Not gonna lie, those first six months of exercising SUCKED. I cried almost every workout, everything was super hard, and I kept telling myself that it was punishment for all the years I sat on my butt and did nothing. I kept asking people when it would stop feeling like torture. I wanted to quit, but I'm also stubborn, and had vowed to make a change, and I knew what the alternative was. The fact that things were so hard for me really drove home how much harder life was going to be as I aged if I didn't follow through with this change. So I kept at it. And six months is about when stuff started to suck a little less. Still couldn't do a push-up, but I could do them from my knees, which was better than the wall push-ups I started with. It was those little victories I held on to, as well as the weight loss that happened, that kept me motivated for awhile. That helped change the internal monologue from "This is torture, I deserve this" to "Holy *kitten*, LOOK WHAT I CAN DO NOW that I couldn't do before! This sucks WAY less than it did at first!"
    With regard to nutrition, I remind myself that food isn't going to make me feel better. Food isn't going to take my stress away - it's just going to cause a different type of stress, and I don't need any more than I already have. I'm not perfect - there are periodic KitKat binges, and those stupid flavored Oreos are super dangerous - but I'm learning to moderate more than I have in the past, and I don't use them as rewards or punishments - they are food. I log them, and I move on with my life.
    Wow, this got long.

Your story is my story, only I'm almost 65 wishing I had done this when I was 39. Believe me, I tried over the years, then just gave up. In my early 60's it all caught up with me. My hips and knees hurt, I was on cholesterol and acid reflux meds, all of this in spite of being very physically active with hiking, skiing and such. 2018 has been a tough year for me emotionally and I back slid a bit, but I'm back on track now. I'm from Montana, also full of very fit people, people who I thought looked anorexic until I lost 60 pounds and realized that is what normal looks like. Good for you, learning from your parents health issues and realizing early on that was going to be your path if you didn't change. My lifestyle change has allowed me to eliminate all my meds and to be able to hike and ski without my knees screaming at me. Keep up the good work!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Lots of things. Part of which is reminding myself that this isn’t hard, this is easy.. I know exactly what I have to do to lose fat, and when I do it, I lose fat.. it’s literally that simple.

Yes, taller people get more calories, as do people with more to lose, as do males, as do people who work out more than I do... but it’s a simple math equation. I have set mfp up to reflect that (I have my maintenance calories set as my daily total and whatever is ‘leftover’ is fat loss... 7700 calories leftover (whether it be over a week or a month) is 1kg... I’d rather it be over a week or two than a month or two so I find myself getting more creative with cutting calories).

What I do find is that this is boring... it seems like it will go on FOREVER... and so I change things up, I eat different food (as long as I hit my protein goal then I’m happy), I changed my workout plan to one which progresses every workout (StrongLifts), I have found low cal alternatives - reduced fat spray cream on my fruit saves me 40odd cals, shiritaki noodles instead of rice noodles in my soup saves me 150 odd, cauliflower rice saves me 100 or so cal.. if I do all three of those in one day then it’s 300cal... and I can eat something delicious like a wispa bar or two instead 😉 or that’s a 2000 cal saving a week... which is .25kg... it all adds up.

I’m eating better and more varied foods because it means I can eat more in my calorie allowance, I exercise to become strong because muscle looks good, it prevents bone density loss, it’s important for my work to prevent injuries, and it’s bad *kitten* to surprise people when I can lift heavy stuff as a short female and I keep reminding myself that the more I get off my *kitten* and do these things... the less time it will take, the more it will become habit (so I don’t have to focus on it so much) and the less bored of it I will be :)

@23rochelle23 - I am really enjoying this statement. Thats a really good way of looking at it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!