Is it safe to lose weight while pregnant?

Options
I'm only 7 weeks pregnant, but would like to lose weight... I'm 5'2 135lb...

Replies

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should lose weight for the reasons stated above but tracking with MFP could help ensure that you don't gain too much weight over the course of your pregnancy. Best thing to do is discuss this with your doctor.
  • beytuh13
    beytuh13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ive been logging for the past three days and have noticed i easily eat 2000 or more. Should I try and aim for 1300?
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you want a second opinion to your doctor on this one, ask another Dr.! This is too important and has too many variables to ask a bunch of schmucks on the internet.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight - you can work on losing after your baby arrives (not right away obviously!). Eat at maintenance cals for first two trimesters and 200 cals above maintenance for final trimester is the usual rule of thumb but please see your own doctors/midwife's advice on this.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You should print out your food diary and take it to your next doctor's appointment with you... I'm thinking you might walk away with a referral to a dietitian...
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    You should print out your food diary and take it to your next doctor's appointment with you... I'm thinking you might walk away with a referral to a dietitian...

And a lecture.

OP, you don't need to be perfect, but remember your body is constructing a person and needs some quality fuel. And NO alcohol. :(

This. The OP's dietary choices are no longer just about herself. Her body needs to build that baby, and needs fuel to do so. If she doesn't care about herself, fine, but she needs to provide adequate fuel for the baby, and not create undue stress.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

I concur with this recommendation.

Also, if you have no medical reason to track Sodium, I suggest you swap it out for something more useful, like Fiber, and strive to hit your fiber goal, which is obtainable by eating less hyper-palatable food and more vegetables. Fiber often keeps people fuller, making it easier for them to not go over their calorie targets.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I concur with this recommendation.

Also, if you have no medical reason to track Sodium, I suggest you swap it out for something more useful, like Fiber, and strive to hit your fiber goal, which is obtainable by eating less hyper-palatable food and more vegetables. Fiber often keeps people fuller, making it easier for them to not go over their calorie targets.

Many pregnant women are told to watch sodium. Personally, I think swapping sugars for fiber would be a better idea.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Not at your weight and height.
    Set your diary to "maintain" your weight.

One thing I'm REALLY happy I did most of my last pregnancy was lifting. Obviously get the "okay" from your doctor first. But lifting really REALLY helped me hide my pregnancy weight gain.