Is it safe to lose weight while pregnant?

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    You should print out your food diary and take it to your next doctor's appointment with you... I'm thinking you might walk away with a referral to a dietitian...

I concur with this recommendation.

Also, if you have no medical reason to track Sodium, I suggest you swap it out for something more useful, like Fiber, and strive to hit your fiber goal, which is obtainable by eating less hyper-palatable food and more vegetables. Fiber often keeps people fuller, making it easier for them to not go over their calorie targets.

Many pregnant women are told to watch sodium. Personally, I think swapping sugars for fiber would be a better idea.

Fair enough. That works too :)
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Don’t try to lose weight while you are pregnant. Your baby needs the extra calories.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Definitely a question for a doctor. Every situation is different. My doctor had me lose weight when I was pregnant the second time only, because I was obese and diabetic then but not the first time. But that's my situation, not yours, only your doctor can tell you this based on your weight and health history.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    You should print out your food diary and take it to your next doctor's appointment with you... I'm thinking you might walk away with a referral to a dietitian...

I concur with this recommendation.

Also, if you have no medical reason to track Sodium, I suggest you swap it out for something more useful, like Fiber, and strive to hit your fiber goal, which is obtainable by eating less hyper-palatable food and more vegetables. Fiber often keeps people fuller, making it easier for them to not go over their calorie targets.

Many pregnant women are told to watch sodium. Personally, I think swapping sugars for fiber would be a better idea.

Fair enough. That works too :)

Especially since she eats way more prepared foods/restaurant foods than fresh fruit...