How to avoid weight gain while on a steroid dose pack

I had an allergic reaction & my dr gave me a steroid shot & a 5-7 (forgot exactly) script of prednisone. Thankfully the steroids have curbed the allergic reaction & things are looking up. Now I worry about the side effects of taking steroids such as fluid retention, increased appetite (haven’t had a problem with this yet), & weight gain. Is there anything I can do to help with the fluid retention/weight gain? Any certain foods help? Do I hold back on my fluid intake a bit? Just curious.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Seffell wrote: »
    You should worry only about fat gain not about general weight gain. If you eat within your calories you're not going to gain fat.
    Count your calories and don't overcomplicate it.

The only thing I would add is: if you retain enough fluid for it to be an issue, you should speak with your doctor. There are ways to reduce it but I wouldn't play around with any unless it is under a Dr. supervision. Definitely do NOT reduce your fluid intake. All that will do is stress your kidneys or set you up for bladder issues like infections.
  • GeauxL
    GeauxL Posts: 57 Member
    That’s kind of how I feel right now. Not sleeping sucks but I’ve got lots of energy & haven’t noticed an increase in appetite
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    GeauxL wrote: »
    That’s kind of how I feel right now. Not sleeping sucks but I’ve got lots of energy & haven’t noticed an increase in appetite

Yeah, the insomnia blows. That too will ping right back to normal once you're off the pred.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Short term steroid use doesn't usually cause too much fluid buildup. That usually occurs with longer use.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Do no hold back on drinking fluids. That would be counter productive. Also remember steroids zap out your electrolytes so eat fruit high in potassium to replenish. Also Gatorade or drinks like that will help, they have the ones with zero calorie as well. If you are looking for ones with less calories. Hoping you only have to go through the steroid pack once.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    I was on prednisone for a year after having a bunch of food restrictions lifted, and I gained about 2.5lbs because my overall energy intake didn't increase much. You'll be fine as long as you stay the course. Get well soon!
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Luckily the dose you seem to be on is not high enough or long enough to cause any issues. Its a miracle drug with MANY horrible effects for those on longer term/higher dosage protocols...speaking from experience. And yes, on high doses it does seriously effect your weight and its not just water. It literally stops your adrenals from working and practically shuts down the metabolism. Again, higher dose/longer term issues.