Struggling on Keto

Options

Replies

• LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to eat more. Cut the fat back and replace with more protein and greens. If you're still feeling hungry through the day, munch on low calorie snacks or hell, even cook up a couple of eggs to eat. Also, make sure you're drinking enough. If you're not drinking enough water, you could be mistaking thirst for hunger.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    bafred123 wrote: »
    Hi Emma, it seems that people want to give you their opinion of keto diets in general and no good advice. If you have chosen to try a ketogenic diet, then great. There is nothing unhealthy about it and for many of us(me) with insulin resistance issues, it is a great choice. And despite the belief by many that calories in calories out is the end all be all of dieting, there are studies that show keto might actually burn more fat.

https://sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1871402116303137#!

The most common problem people have at the beginning of a keto diet is they aren't eating enough fats. Keep your carbs under 20. Some people can handle a bit more but it's a slippery slope. You want moderate proteins. depending on your activity level. I try for roughly .8 grams per pound of lean body mass. The rest will be fats. And it will seem like a lot of fat. But that's ok. Early on, you'll want to eat enough that you don't get really hungry. Don't worry about going over your calories by a bit. It can take some time for your body to adapt and restricting fats will cause your body to turn proteins into sugar.

Also, you need to drink water like crazy.

Keto works for me, but it isn't a magic bullet. Your initial loss was probably mostly water. You are going to plateau. Your body will hold water for a while to replace the fat weight you have lost. (whoosh effect) It is no different than any other diet plan. It can take a couple months to start seeing the real changes. Slow and steady wins the race, blah blah blah

As far as the abstract goes, there's no indication that calories were held steady between groups. There's no basis for a conclusion that reducing carbs and increasing fats was the cause of increased weight loss in the keto group, as opposed to a reduction in calories. The study was also done on individuals with metabolic syndrome, and there's no evidence that any positive result would translate to any benefit for healthy individuals.

Just no on protein turning to sugar in the absence of dietary fat.

no but a body can turn protein into glucose if needed through gluconeogenesis
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited October 2018
    Options
    bafred123 wrote: »
    Just no on protein turning to sugar in the absence of dietary fat.

no but a body can turn protein into glucose if needed through gluconeogenesis

And what is glucose? Sugar

yes and it can be converted IF needed. but you made it sound like it would be turned into sugar if fat was restricted. fat still can be burned IN A DEFICIT whether keto or not. I restrict fat and have had NO issues when I was losing weight. Im maintaining and still losing fat because Im recomping and I eat a lot of carbs and low fat amd moderate protein. so if any of those things I am doing hindered fat loss then I would have never lost weight or fat or continue to do so. I have done keto in the past before I knew I had a health issue restricting me from doing said diet and fat loss was NOT any faster than it is now or while I was in a deficit.
  • davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Another piece of advice I've seen floated around is that it can help to do a lot of brisk walking to kick your body over into fat metabolism. That's the scuttlebutt. But then again, low-intensity exercise doesn't really hurt, so why not give it a try?

may I ask where you got this info from?
    Tracey,

This I gathered from a wealth of published studies where ketosis is induced in the test subjects through exercise. I'll link you to a search term through Google Scholar here.

The ketogenic diet, being a front-line medical therapy for a number of conditions, and unlike other diets, is fairly well studied. Including recent studies on otherwise 'healthy' (not condition specific) test subjects for efficacy in body fat and overall weight reduction.

This of course, measures the net effect of putting subjects on the ketogenic diet so it's not as if CICO doesn't apply. But you'll find as you read into the ketogenic diet that it is very effective.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Another piece of advice I've seen floated around is that it can help to do a lot of brisk walking to kick your body over into fat metabolism. That's the scuttlebutt. But then again, low-intensity exercise doesn't really hurt, so why not give it a try?

may I ask where you got this info from?
    Tracey,

This I gathered from a wealth of published studies where ketosis is induced in the test subjects through exercise. I'll link you to a search term through Google Scholar here.

The ketogenic diet, being a front-line medical therapy for a number of conditions, and unlike other diets, is fairly well studied. Including recent studies on otherwise 'healthy' (not condition specific) test subjects for efficacy in body fat and overall weight reduction.

This of course, measures the net effect of putting subjects on the ketogenic diet so it's not as if CICO doesn't apply. But you'll find as you read into the ketogenic diet that it is very effective.

its effective for some not all. and its only been effective in certain health conditions so far such as type 2,pcos,IR and epilepsy. it has helped some with alzheimers but the studies on that are still not conclusive.as for fat loss the fat loss may be quicker to a certain point in those that are obese but the studies show that the rate of fat loss slows down and they still have to be in a deficit. keto made my health issues worse and my health decline,so it wasnt effective for me or my healt issues. oh and many of the studies you linked to through google scholar are behind paywalls. Im not paying for studies where I can get them elsewhere for free
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    oh and most of the studies state NAFLD,elderly and people with type 2. I cant find one that shows a study in a healthy person on the page you linked. as for entering ketosis during exercise that can also happen if a person fasts. and works out before they break the fast and it can happen without them thinking about it. but thats another subject that I have not thoroughly studied yet. fat burning is also not any faster in fasted states either. like I said when I did keto before I knew I had a health issue my fat loss wasnt any faster than it was during non keto and I was obese. I lost a total of 5 lbs of water weight and that was it during the 2 months I did it.