Anyone else in the medical field? Support and motivation nee

Options
Anyone else in the medical field? Support and motivation needed, STAT!

Hi you guys. I'm a nurse and as all of you in the medical field know first hand, we never have time to eat a normal healthy meal, our days and nights can be, and usually are a bit insane. By the time we get off we are too tired to even think out going to the gym.

How do you keep yourself motivated? I don't know about the rest of you but I could sure use some extra support and motivation so please feel free to add me as a friend. Lets help each other out so that we can not only become healthy, but be good examples for our patients too.

Ideas? Add them below.

Replies

• woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm a front office medical assistant so I know about time. However, I am lucky enough to have a job in an office where they make sure everyone has a full hour off for lunch from 12pm to 1pm. About eatting, I make sure to either pack a lunch, go to a sandwich shop or Taco Bell.
  • IOWAlapbanderette
    IOWAlapbanderette Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    *waving*
    I'm an ER nurse so I know exactly what you are talking about! it's all about eating when you can, and as fast as you can..

so here's what I do..
    I take a protein drink to work , that has 23 grams of protein, and sip on it as the night goes..it helps keep the cravings down. Mine is 129 calories, is chocolate and it hits the spot!!
    I try and pack snacky stuff that is GOOD for me..that is flavorful and fills me up..I keep a bag of lettuce and a can of chicken with me in the fridge for when I have the time to eat, that and a little fat free ranch and I'm a HAPPY RN!!
  • VaBchNurse
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Hopefully we can help each other out.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Ahh yes! Our patients always come first. We need to make ourselves the priority in this assignment! It sure is tough sometimes. I especially struggle on the night shift. Tons of junk food in the break room, and feeling like hell at 4am is a recipe for disaster. There is hope! Make small changes to start and before you know it, you will be healthier and happier. Welcome! I'll friend you.
  • VaBchNurse
    Options
    Thank you Jbug100
  • ghostorchid
    Options
    I'm a 3rd year med student. I generally keep a mini Lara bar in my pocket (90-100 calories each--not the full sized ones!) for when I don't have a chance to actually eat something. Keeping carrot sticks somewhere is good, as well as packing some protein powder to just mix with water as protein is pretty filling. Limit anything really sweet, including some protein powders/shakes out there, as that will likely only stimulates your tastebuds. You want just enough sweet so that it's tasty but not like a dessert! Amazing Grass makes powders called Amazing Meals--the chocolate is a bit grainy but tolerable and the mango pomegranate one is supposed to be pretty good (I haven't tried it yet). I find them to be filling, but don't taste like a usual whey protein powder drink and are only 6g sugar. Also apples and boiled eggs are pretty convenient and keep well at room-temp if you don't have access to a fridge.

Avoid temptation as much as possible, but not so that it drives you bonkers. If you don't have access to anything that's healthy, eat only a limited amount of what isn't as some calories are better than none.

A water bottle is also a really good friend. I have a couple from Contigo that auto-seal and they're super convenient! I have the 24oz ones and find it's the perfect size for me. Filling up on water definitely helps avoid senseless snacking when evil coworkers try to naively sabotage your efforts!

As far as working out, I'm using the Insanity videos at present. They're 30-50 minutes each session (generally 40-45) and being on the timer helps keep me focused--I just have to get myself to get in workout clothes and start and I'll stick with it. I've read that the Jillian Michael's '30 day Shred' ones are only 20 minutes but still very effective. Let yourself have 1 day off, 2 at most or give yourself a punishment if you go longer. When you get home, just automatically think of working out as part of your job hours without thinking of it as a job--don't sit down, don't get caught up in chores, and make this YOU time!

Worse to worse, think about all the really unhealthy, sick people you meet during the day and how you do NOT want to be like that! Change the disease motivation according to a compelling case you came across that day--MI, DM, high cholesterol, CVA, cancer, morbid obesity (think of all the 400-lbers), PAD, etc. Yeah, they're so rampant, but just really focus on the disease process and dedicate that workout to it!
  • VaBchNurse
    Options
    Great post ghostorchid. Thanks!
  • CalamityCat
    Options
    I'm a second year medic and I struggle like mad - I seem to hang around with tiny people who eat nothing but cake! Although I spend my life in a lecture theatre I seem to feel the urge to constantly eat and I really need to do the water bottle thing! But yes, the pressure is on to lose some weight!