Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Just trying to get some ideas on what kind of pricing I am looking at for a decent heart rate monitor. I would like to not go over $50.00 but if I have to then I will. What brands/models do you use and how accurate are they? Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions! :drinker:

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 - $100 perhaps. I have the Polar FT4 and it was $90 through my gym.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I just bought a polar FT4 from Amazon last week and it was around $63. Still learning the features, but I like it so far.
  • NWLARealtor57
    NWLARealtor57 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a MIO Petite heart rate monitor watch with calorie burn, no chest strap. It works ok, but the best one that I want to get is the BodyBug! It rocks! Was 47.00
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 that I got for about $75 on Amazon..its well worth it. You don't want to go cheap on this -- especially do not get one without a heart strap! I think the FT7 allows you to program more personal settings than the FT4 so it may be a tad more accurate for the extra few bucks.

Here is the article that helped me make my decision - :
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4! It may cost alittle more but it is well worth it. Don't forget, u get what you pay for!! Do your research first.
  • jocraw66
    jocraw66 Posts: 52
    Options
    Polar FT7 is what I have. I got it at www.heartratemonitorsusa.com.
    I googled a coupon code and got it for about $70.00 with no shipping fees. It also came in the very next day.
  • JaneWrastle
    Options
    When I went to look for HRMs I had a relative who had access use the Consumer Reports site to look up brands. I believe it said for ones under $50 TIMEX was a good buy. However, I went the 'extra mile' and got a Polar F6 which was around a hundred dollars. I love it not to mention its cute! It's water resistant. I have used it at least 5 days a week for over two years. It has fancy features I haven't bothered to learn to use - daily and weekly dairy, etc. It came with a chest strap which I hope is helping it get a more accurate reading....
  • syreetahasting
    Options
    I have the FT7 & love it, just make sure you get one that is coded.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Just trying to get some ideas on what kind of pricing I am looking at for a decent heart rate monitor. I would like to not go over $50.00 but if I have to then I will. What brands/models do you use and how accurate are they? Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions! :drinker:

New Balance N4 for women. I highly recommend it. Very accurate, and comes with a comfortable cloth chest strap that continuously monitors your heart-rate. The watch is cute and non-bulky. I paid $45.00 for mines, brand new from e-bay. I use it all the time, and great if you just really want your calories burned. It also syncs with any gym equipment like the treadmill so you don't have to look at the watch if your running or something.
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7, off amazon.com. I love it.
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Ok so what is the difference between FT7, FT6, and FT4 LOL! Sorry I am totally new to all of this!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I read the reviews on amazon and ordered a Polar FT4 for $63, not got it yet, will let u know! Gotta be better than my last one, I went cheap and got low spec Oregon, its was useless. But that was a few years back.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    One more thing- beware, if you're on the UK Amazon site, the lower priced Polars don't seem to have the calorie count on there- where as the equivalently priced US amazon Polars DO!! Different models i guess
  • Ninotchka
    Options
    I bought a MIO Petite Drive watch and I love it. Not a lot of bells and whistles which is fine by me. It does exactly what I want it to do. It was around $50.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have yet to buy, but have done hours of research and if you are looking for a HRM that is accurate to track calories burned then you're going to need to spend more than 50 bucks. I am looking at getting the Polar FT7. It retails at 109 online, but I know that Amazon carries it cheaper. Hope that helps and happy shopping!
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    It all boils down to what frills you want on your monitor and what you are trying to accomplish. Some keep data for a few days where others may keep data up to 30. If you Google them you will find some pretty informative info to help you make your decision. Also how the buttons are laid out and how easy to use the watch while you’re actually running
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7. I got it for $55 on ebay. It tracks calories, avg/max heart rate and the display lets me know what target heart rate zone I'm in so it pushes me to do more.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Ok so what is the difference between FT7, FT6, and FT4 LOL! Sorry I am totally new to all of this!

From what I can tell, the higher the number : 4, 6, 7, the more gadgets it has for serious athletes (and higher the cost). And those are just the Polar brand.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar is where it's at! Either the FT4 or the FT7.. both are excellent HRM's. Check on Amazon.. they have some pretty good deals on them.

Don't get ones without a chest strap as they are not accurate at all. Timex also gives a very inflated calorie burn, so I'd steer clear of them too!
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions! I will be doing some research, but apparently Polar is the one that I should get! Thanks again!