Waist Size Risks?

Options
I went to a wellness lecture yesterday and they said that any woman with a waist above 32 inches is at greater risk for several health problems including CD and Diabetes. So since mine is 33 inches I was a bit surprised. I am 5'9" and a size 10 at 161 lbs. My BMI is normal and I don't look as if I have a large waist anymore. So stuff I read online says anything above 35" causes a higher risk and others said the ratio of height to waist should be more than 2. Mine would be 69"/33" which is 2.09. Anyone have anymore info on this and what is the best measurement for the increased risk? I guess with my weight loss I thought I was finally at a healthy weight and had assuredly decreased all my risks, but I was completely surprised.

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You really need to compare your waist to hip ratio. There are lots of calculators on the web if you want to use them (I googled "waist to hip ratio" and came up with a dozen. You want the ratio to be less than .8 to be in the "low risk" category.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    You've definitely decreased your risks! I'd say what the numbers are saying is that you're right there on the border--maybe barely ok, or maybe barely over. Your ticker looks like you are still trying to lose a few more pounds. I bet that'll be enough to put you decidedly on the safe side!
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's less the exact number than your waist to hip ratio: apples are riskier than pears. You are taller than average and giving a single number in the lecture is just a rule of thumb. Simply put, if you have excess weight that goes to your upper body, you have a higher risk for health problems than someone who has extra weight that goes to their hips and thighs. Bottom line: reduce the extra weight. If you still have 13 pounds to go, is that perhaps your "healthy weight" and not your CW? Your ticker looks like you are making fantastic progress - go you!!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I went to a wellness lecture yesterday and they said that any woman with a waist above 32 inches is at greater risk for several health problems including CD and Diabetes. So since mine is 33 inches I was a bit surprised. I am 5'9" and a size 10 at 161 lbs. My BMI is normal and I don't look as if I have a large waist anymore. So stuff I read online says anything above 35" causes a higher risk and others said the ratio of height to waist should be more than 2. Mine would be 69"/33" which is 2.09. Anyone have anymore info on this and what is the best measurement for the increased risk? I guess with my weight loss I thought I was finally at a healthy weight and had assuredly decreased all my risks, but I was completely surprised.

Dr. Oz, on youtube says, your waist from your bellybutton should be half or less than your height in inches. So you are 69 inches tall so half of that is 34.5 and your waistline is 33--you are fine in that regard. You can also suck in your tummy when you measure.
  • ditzydoodle2
    Options
    I am 5'9 also and I think sometimes when they make general "women should be 'this' size" they don't take into account the taller ones like us. I think you are doing great and are right on track! Your ticker says you've lost 57 lbs which is FANTASTIC! You just keep going and just focus on being healthy and exercising. You are doing great, girl!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I hate these sweeping generatlities that get labeled as "risk factors." It gets even more confusing when they put metrics to it. It makes it hard to seperate media hype from actual facts. I mean, I think it's messed up to apply the same standard to a 4'9" person as a 6'3" person.

I think it's best to rely on scientific measures like BMI and focus on being better than you were yesterday. At least BMI is a benchmark for yourself and you have complete control over where to set that goal. Also, If you are concened about diabetes and stuff, I think it's a good idea to have regular checkups. Blood work is the only way to verify these things (until pharmacies figures out a way to make those blood pressure kiosks more comprehensive) :tongue: .

BTW, congrats on your progress!
  • lauradupree
    Options
    I have heard that a waist size above 32 inches is a health risk as well, but you have to remember it is a general guideline. Most women are somewhat shorter than you are, so taking into account the law of averages, I would think that it wouldn't hurt you to lose a bit more, but your risk is probably relatively low. If someone were 5 feet tall and had a waist measuring 31 inches, then that person would most likely be at higher risk for CD and diabetes than you are. :-) If you are unsure, check with your doctor.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Just to add another confusion. I was told (by the British Heart Foundation) that for women a waist measurement of more than 31.5 inches was a risk factor.

The irritating thing is, the waist size thing doesn't vary by body type, I have very narrow hips, I don't put on weight there at all, it all goes on round my waist, and I don't go in at the waist even when I am very low weight, I barely have a gap between the top of my hips and the bottom of my ribs, so there just isn't room to go it. So I have a waist size much bigger than most people with 35 inch hips. Sometimes I wish I was a pear!
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I dunno how I feel about that at 200lbs my waist was 35inches. My waist is small considering my thunder thighs. If I go by that I will be in the "healthy" range around 175lbs and I know that is still too heavy.
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I hate these sweeping generatlities that get labeled as "risk factors." It gets even more confusing when they put metrics to it. It makes it hard to seperate media hype from actual facts. I mean, I think it's messed up to apply the same standard to a 4'9" person as a 6'3" person.

I think it's best to rely on scientific measures like BMI and focus on being better than you were yesterday. At least BMI is a benchmark for yourself and you have complete control over where to set that goal. Also, If you are concened about diabetes and stuff, I think it's a good idea to have regular checkups. Blood work is the only way to verify these things (until pharmacies figures out a way to make those blood pressure kiosks more comprehensive) :tongue: .

BTW, congrats on your progress!

I agree with what I think you are trying to say, stick to estabished methods. Although BMI is a very crude measure really, it does not take into account body composition or weight distribution. Waist to hip ratio is a very easy and effective tool that assess if you have an unhealthy fat distribution around you waist. I attended a lecture recently that discussed fat distribution. If you look at paintings of nude ladies from a couple of hundred years ago they have huge bums and thighs and no tummy, which is how a woman should store fat. When fat is stored on the stomach it is within the muscle and applies pressure to internal organs. On the bum and thighs it sits between the skin and muscle happily. The reason we now store fat that way is due to the differences in diet compared to then.

So to answer the OPs question as long as your tummy is smaller than it was, you are doing fantasticly well and reducing your risks every day! Work out your waist to hip ratio and monitor it.

Another interesting point from the lecture was that it is better to be fat and fit, than thin and unfit, in terms of chronic disease risk. One to keep us all going. If you keep fit you may have less chance of a heart attack or diabetis than the thin person sat next to you who doesn't!