Fitbits are solving crime now?

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Our local police caught a cyclist who assaulted a jogger on a trail using Strava. It's both kind of awesome and kind of creepy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    they had to ban the use of Straava and other programs for some of the milatary because it was basically mapping out bases.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Crazy. Big Brother is always watching.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Our local police caught a cyclist who assaulted a jogger on a trail using Strava. It's both kind of awesome and kind of creepy.

Right?!?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Well, all they did was give a more accurate time of death compared to normal means of estimating. A home video surveillance or even a well placed public video surveillance camera (pointing in the window, etc) would do the same thing. Even cell phone records can sometimes do that kind of thing (making a call/responding to a text after you passed?).

None of the data they alleged to use is GPS related data, just heart rate data. I wouldn't exactly call that big brother or super technology watching us.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Right?!?

That's kind of how I feel about the spit in a tube DNA tests being used to find close relatives of DNA on file for old crimes. Awesome but creepy. Imagine getting that call!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    To my understanding you don't have to have a warrant to get information from the dead during an investigation...it's all evidence already...so victim cell phone data (particularly navigation details) have long been used in court cases...this seems like a pretty logical extension of that...
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Well, all they did was give a more accurate time of death compared to normal means of estimating. A home video surveillance or even a well placed public video surveillance camera (pointing in the window, etc) would do the same thing. Even cell phone records can sometimes do that kind of thing (making a call/responding to a text after you passed?).

None of the data they alleged to use is GPS related data, just heart rate data. I wouldn't exactly call that big brother or super technology watching us.

True. They matched outdoor CCTV with the time of death to see that the suspect's car was at the house at the time of death. I think it's ingenious detective work.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Right?!?

That's kind of how I feel about the spit in a tube DNA tests being used to find close relatives of DNA on file for old crimes. Awesome but creepy. Imagine getting that call!

It's amazing what investigators can do with technology.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

No, but the fact that they were able to find surveillance of both her house and his house with time stamps is.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Interesting book/movie "The Circle" by D. Eggers. This is our future. YIKES!