Breakdown

Options
Does anyone ever feel like you're just defeated?

I had a bit of a mental breakdown this morning over my weight. I know that I need to do something about it, so why don't I? I am healing up from my 7th surgery in 10 years and I just feel like "it's always something". I struggle with health issues and the depression and the anxiety that goes with it. I guess I just feel like it's never going to happen for me. I'm going to be this way forever and i'll never lose the weight.

Replies

• 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Is the significance of the surgery that it impedes exercise?

maybe a pure CICO approach would help. Exercise is not needed to loose weight if caloric consumption is limited correctly.

as for the hopeless feelings of giving up ... i feel them too ... i live with them and sometimes they ruin my life.

How about you list us out some reasons WHY you want to lose weight; and we can examine them more deeply and remind you of the finer points in the times when you feel like giving up.
  • cholloway88
    cholloway88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, surgery keeps me from exercising for right now until I'm cleared by my doctor.

Reasons I would like to lose weight:
    1. My health! I want to live a long life and being healthy is part of that. It will be easier on my joints and my body.
    2. I want to learn to love myself. I am my own worst critic and my weight plays a big part in that.
    3. I want to be able to feel comfortable in my own skin. I dread going places because my friends love to take pictures together and it gives me anxiety.
    4. I want to get past feeling so self conscious all the time.
  • cholloway88
    Options
    @stepmill_jack I'm sorry to hear that! Sending good vibes your way for things to turn around for you!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Buck up, younguns.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I do think it's important to know that if you use thermodynamics anda calorie in really does equal a calorie out then you can lose as much weight as you want without doing any exercise that said perhaps In the beginning you could look into upper body focused things that do not hurt the knees

1. My health! I want to live a long life and being healthy is part of that. It will be easier on my joints and my body.
    ... no matter how good you imagine it feeling to be in shape you're probably under estimating how amazing it will really feel to do tasks that used to be so difficult with ease and to have more energy in everything you do this is a really good thing to focus on

2. I want to learn to love myself. I am my own worst critic and my weight plays a big part in that
    ...I disagree with this mindset learning to love yourself how you are will increase your motivation and will help remove a lot of the negative thoughts you have about yourself so I don't want to focus on this one

3. I want to be able to feel comfortable in my own skin. I dread going places because my friends love to take pictures together and it gives me anxiety.
    This is actually a huge one for me, my friend had a pool party and posted a bunch of pictures and I wanted to cry I was so embarrassed at how I looked so I can totally understand I don't have the answer as to how to make this go away other than to focus on being photogenically thin and I think that's an okay goal

I want to get past feeling so self conscious all the time.
    This has more to do with your own psychology and anxiety Then how you look but I agree if I looked better I would be less self-conscious and I think that relates closely to the point directly above

• cholloway88
    Options
    @73CL350 all very good points. And something I tend to lose sight of sometimes. Thanks for all your kind words and advise :smile:
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Yes, surgery keeps me from exercising for right now until I'm cleared by my doctor.

2. I want to learn to love myself. I am my own worst critic and my weight plays a big part in that.
    @cholloway88, as @stepmill_jack said, you look gorgeous in your profile photo. :)

Your photo seems to have captured a moment when you were happy and were sharing that happiness with those around you. Seeing photos like that helps to remind me that beauty isn't about what a person weighs. Beauty seems to be more about believing that you are beautiful; or, at least, forgetting for the moment of the photograph that you think you might not be beautiful. (Because we all have beauty, we are all in possession of it. It's befriending that beauty within ourselves, and finding our own way of expressing it outwardly, that seems to be the part that is so difficult to do.)

Okay, moving away from the deep philosophical thoughts, at least for a little while:

I have health problems that make it extremely difficult to exercise, and I am losing weight. I lost a lot of "water weight" at first, and now I seem to have settled into losing about a pound per week, which is what I set my MFP goal at. I'm taking in fewer calories than I'm using up, and proving that math, science and CI<CO really do work.

And if I can do it, you can very probably do it, too. :)

As to the reasons why you would like to lose weight:
    I've only lost 15 of the 125 lbs I need to lose, but I'm already feeling better. My feet don't hurt so much when I've been on them for a while; and I'm now much better than I was at catching up to my cat and bending down to scoop her up whenever she runs out into the hallway like she's not supposed to.

Losing weight - in a slow and healthy way, of course - is better for your joints, your body, your heart, your pancreas, your liver, your kidneys, your gallbladder... it's good for the whole corporeal kit-&-kaboodle, when it come right down to it.

That one's a toughie. I'm not sure that losing weight, in and of itself, will necessarily help with that. But proving to yourself than you can lose weight, and seeing your successes on the scale and in the mirror and in so many other places, can help you shout down the skeptical and negative part of of yourself. If your weight is what your inner critic has been basing most of his/her/its criticism on; once you take that away, it will be easier to look at any other self-criticisms with a skeptical eye (e.g. "So what if I never became a ballerina? Ballerinas have miserably demanding lifestyles, and their careers are generally over by the time they're 30").

For me at least, losing weight has involved making friends with my body, and being kind to it, in ways that are helping me to learn to love it and the rest of myself. I hope it works like that for you, too. :)

My nephew got married this last summer, and of course there are wedding pictures, and of course all his aunts had to be in some of them. I wish I had been thinking of my above advice about feeling and expressing my internal beauty, but I wasn't - the pictures make it pretty clear that I was thinking was "Try not to look too horrible. OMG, these pictures are going to come out looking terrible, aren't they? Geez, I hope I don't look too fat and awful."

Next time I'm roped into having my picture taken, I hope that I will remember to think about the people I'm with and what I enjoy about being with them. (Oh, and the weight I've lost; and the various small improvements I've made to my hair, makeup and wardrobe since last summer. ;) )

The good news is that confidence, unlike knowledge or love or equanimity, is something that can be created out of being faked. Pretending to be confident can result in feeling confident, or at least in getting involved enough with what's going around you to forget about how self-conscious you feel. Weight loss can play a part in this because the better you feel about how you look, the easier confidence is to fake - or sometimes even to genuinely have and feel.

I guess I just feel like it's never going to happen for me. I'm going to be this way forever and i'll never lose the weight.
    This can be a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you let it. Or you can decide not to, and to fulfill your own self-prophecy.*

(*No, I'm not really sure what "self-prophecy" means, either. I guess we get to define it for ourselves. ;) )
  • AmbersAstros
    AmbersAstros Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! It comes and goes! 🤗🤗
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Now that you’ve got the reasons you want to lose weight, make a list of the reasons why you don’t. That’s right, why you don’t.

If you didn’t have reasons not to lose, you would have done it by now. Now take the two lists and see what kind of deals or compromises you can make to get some accommodations for both sides. Avoid the temptation to just try to throw the don’t side under the bus. Both points of view are valid.

But this- hope. There’s reason for hope. CICO backed up with a food diary and some patience works. It really does.