Weight gain from my period ugh!!!

gypsykit1
gypsykit1 Posts: 10 Member
edited September 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I usually gain close to five freakin pounds when I get my period. I usually eat larger portions or more food or more sweets so some of the extra pounds could be from that. Even though I know most of it is bloat and water retention from my period, it still really psychs me out and depresses me greatly. I've read articles that say once your period comes the weight goes back down but not true for me. It takes until my third or fourth day of my period for the bloat to settle down. I avoid wearing my tight jeans cause I feel so much bigger and it depresses me more if I feel it in my clothes.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2018
    If it freaks you out stay off the scales during that time? I gain 2-3lbs water weight from mine each month which lasts for 3-5 days, that water gain happens every women I'm pretty sure so don't let it get to you.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    I have found that my weight jumps up 5 lbs when I ovulate and another 5 pounds for shark week. It sucks.

Mine too!!! So I’m basically normal mentally, physically two weeks out if the month. Question after menopause, will I be Dr Jekyll forever or will I be Mr Hyde forever? 😩 😂I’m hoping Jekyll

• mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    gypsykit1 wrote: »
    I've read articles that say once your period comes the weight goes back down but not true for me. It takes until my third or fourth day of my period for the bloat to settle down. .

I weight myself every Monday. I too have read that once it comes, the weights goes back down, but as an experiment, I weighted myself daily during TOM and same here, it took me five days to return to my 'usual' weight.

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    yep happens to all of us. I actually used Happy Scale app for a few months and weighed in daily (trying really hard not to see it as getting fat or not fat but simply as a data collection tool) - it's quite an interesting exercise you can really start to see a pattern in weight correlating to period and ovulation. For example, just before I start to bloat, I have one day where my weight drops dramatically - like a kilo or 2 in ONE DAY.

Once I did that experiment it has helped me to not feel so much like crap when I weigh in and the weight is not what i expected (eg after a great week with good eating and exercise and hello 1 kilo up - like today... UGH) I know that it's not 1 kilo up due to fatso, but 1 kilo up due to water retention/hormones etc.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    It’s completely normal. Just make peace with it. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Yeah, it's usually the next week before I see the drop in period weight. It's perfectly normal.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    I usually lose on the scale during that week as usual and still feel like hell on my period--avoiding tight jeans and all. I read that your uterus or something is a bit swollen and that makes the whole area feel bulky, if that makes sense, so it accounts for a lot of discomfort.
  • astrid8228
    astrid8228 Posts: 1 Member
    thank you, I dropped in all depressed.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Bummer but normal