gluten free

Options
has anyone gone gluten free for weight loss? not specifically atkins or keto, but just no bread/pasta/baked goods/etc.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Owning a woo. There is a *world* of difference between "gluten free" and "no bread/pasta/baked goods". I'm gluten free for medical reasons, and there is no way in the world I would do this if I didn't have to. You have to read every label, and worry about *everything*. And you can still get GF breads, pastas, and baked goods -- and they're typically higher in calories than their regular counterparts.

Just eat less than you burn.

My wife is intolerant of a lot of things, including gluten. Reading labels is second nature to us now. Hamburgers, nope, got milk powder. GF bread, nope made with potato starch. But it's better than her doubled over in pain on the toilet.

While GF has nothing to do with weight loss, it is nice that it's trendy as it means more choices out there.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Owning a woo. There is a *world* of difference between "gluten free" and "no bread/pasta/baked goods". I'm gluten free for medical reasons, and there is no way in the world I would do this if I didn't have to. You have to read every label, and worry about *everything*. And you can still get GF breads, pastas, and baked goods -- and they're typically higher in calories than their regular counterparts.

My wife is intolerant of a lot of things, including gluten. Reading labels is second nature to us now. Hamburgers, nope, got milk powder. GF bread, nope made with potato starch. But it's better than her doubled over in pain on the toilet.

While GF has nothing to do with weight loss, it is nice that it's trendy as it means more choices out there.

Yes, I was saying to my mother that it's much easier dealing with this now than it was 15ish years ago, when it was first batted around as "hey, maybe you have celiac."

I was already a label reader, but OMG I had never realized how much junk people put wheat into. I've also got a side of WTFery, because I'm a type 1 diabetic -- any GF product that relies on rice spikes me like whoa, so I need to read even on GF products, because if I don't, I misjudge how much insulin I need. (Forgot to do that with a package last night, and ended up high for ages because I totally didn't stop and look and see that the prepared mac and cheese was with rice pasta...)
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Yes, I was saying to my mother that it's much easier dealing with this now than it was 15ish years ago, when it was first batted around as "hey, maybe you have celiac."

I was already a label reader, but OMG I had never realized how much junk people put wheat into. I've also got a side of WTFery, because I'm a type 1 diabetic -- any GF product that relies on rice spikes me like whoa, so I need to read even on GF products, because if I don't, I misjudge how much insulin I need. (Forgot to do that with a package last night, and ended up high for ages because I totally didn't stop and look and see that the prepared mac and cheese was with rice pasta...)

Ouch. My wife thrives on rice as the starch in her GF stuff. I need to let her know someone has it worse than her LOL
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free because it triggers my migraines. I lost no weight when I dropped the gluten. I did not replace gluten containing foods with gluten free ones because most are not available in my area and tbh, most taste like crap to me. I just eat what is naturally gluten free or bake what I have created myself to be without weird ingredients. It is not a weight loss tool. Calories are king.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I had to go gluten free for medical reasons, and let me tell you. The first year, I gained. I had maintained my 80lb weight loss (+/- 8lbs) for 3 years (I'd taken a diet break to let myself settle into the new me and recomp) until I started having health issues. The health issues made my weight trend look like it was drunk. Up, down, up, down; as I was simultaneously too sick to eat and too depressed that I was eating things I knew didn't make me sick. Then we figured it out after that whole year of misery and so I had to re-learn how to eat. I thought I could follow my previous eating habits (I had stopped logging and had maintained on the knowledge I'd built and it was working for me).

Nope. GF things have a different calorie profile. So I gained again. By the end of it, after we'd scoured the house of all the gluteny things and my husband learned how to cook for me so that I didn't get sick and miserable, I'd had 2 years of strange weight trends. I'd gained back about 25ish pounds of the original 80 I'd lost. This year, I've started working on losing those pounds, plus the rest of my pounds to goal.

Gluten free is hard and I hate it. If I could eat normal things, I would. The good thing about it being "trendy" is that there are more options for me now than there would have been if they'd caught my issue when I was a teenager or in college.

I certainly wouldn't choose it for weight loss, especially since it did the opposite for me! I'm only just now getting back into where I *was* so I can finish to my goal.
  • MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have to eat gluten free, and it's no worth doing for weightloss. It's inconvenient and without the threat of violent intestinal pain and arthritis flares, I wouldn't do it. Just count calories, don't demonize foods unless they are actually harmful to you.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

Yes, my brother has Celiacs and it's balls to the walls inconvenient!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    gillrushhh wrote: »
    has anyone gone gluten free for weight loss? not specifically atkins or keto, but just no bread/pasta/baked goods/etc.
    Gluten free is for celiacs and those with a sensitivity. It’s completely woo weight loss wise...

Gluten free foods are often higher calories.
  • collectingblues
    Options
    i did not mean to offend anyone or downplay their real dietary limitations!!

You didn't offend, but I think those of us who *do* need to be GF for legitimate reasons just wanted to point out that it is really a crap way to lose weight.
  • collectingblues
    Options

Ouch. My wife thrives on rice as the starch in her GF stuff. I need to let her know someone has it worse than her LOL

I <3 rice. Sadly, my blood sugar does not. My endocrinologist and I are trying to come up with a solution, since it's either "make rice work" or "live on ice and potatoes".
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I don’t think you offended anyone... it’s just incredibly unnecessary for weight loss. :)
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    No offense taken, you just asked a question. All good :smile:

• Tacklewasher
    Options

I <3 rice. Sadly, my blood sugar does not. My endocrinologist and I are trying to come up with a solution, since it's either "make rice work" or "live on ice and potatoes".

Cauliflower rice.

Otherwise known as an abomination pretending to be food :)

And also not offended.
  • collectingblues
    Options

Cauliflower rice.

Otherwise known as an abomination pretending to be food :)

And also not offended.

Can't *stand* cauliflower. :D That's *so* not going to happen. I'd rather spend my waking hours mathing it out for the right bolus!