Am I doing it right?

Options
28lbs to lose got my calories set to 1200 a day net calories are around 950, I normally do slimming world so a little worries I won't lose doing calories

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    You should be netting 1200.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Agree with the posters above me. Unless you're very short and very sedentary, 1200 probably isn't sustainable. Going below that is setting yourself up for trouble.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    MFP has already built in the deficit you need to lose weight so you should stick to eating the calories MFP has given you.

I am 5' 6" and started at 221lbs I have lost 29lbs since January eating between 1350 and 1600 calories with no excercise due to health issues.

My diary is open but be warned I eat what I like and my logging is not that tight but it is still working for me. I still want to lose another 30lbs. Once the weight loss slows down I still have a bit of leeway to tighten up.

I hope you will take the advice on board to eat at least 1200 calories and some of your excercise calories if you do excercise. I have been there, eating 900 cals and it really is unsustainable and ended up with me giving up and putting back on all the weight I lost. This time I am doing it right.

• suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am eating above 1200 it's my net calories due to being on my feet all day most days so i eat 1500-2000 most days but excersie calories make me under for the day
    If that all makes any sence
    Thanks
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I am eating above 1200 it's my net calories due to being on my feet all day most days so i eat 1500-2000 most days but excersie calories make me under for the day
    Thanks

That's a lot of exercise calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Thanks

you still should be netting 1200 or more. exercise calories are meant to be eaten back when using mfp. if you eat 2000 and net 950 that means you are burning over 1000 calories. what are you doing on your feet all day to burn 1000+ calories?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

(At least)

What rate of loss did you choose? If you entered 2 pounds per week and sedentary, I'd encourage you to reconsider. 1 to 1.5 pounds is much more reasonable for someone with your amount to lose (I'd go with 1).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

(At least)

What rate of loss did you choose? If you entered 2 pounds per week and sedentary, I'd encourage you to reconsider. 1 to 1.5 pounds is much more reasonable for someone with your amount to lose (I'd go with 1).

And change sedentary to active.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

(At least)

And change sedentary to active.

I'm weird. Since I work a desk job and am lazy, I keep mine set at sedentary. But I also set it to maintain and let any activity above that make up my deficit. I wouldn't suggest this to most people, but it seems to be working for me. I like having a solid number every day rather than varying it with activity (definitely wouldn't work for someone more active!)
  • suenewberry81
    Options
    Thanks

you still should be netting 1200 or more. exercise calories are meant to be eaten back when using mfp. if you eat 2000 and net 950 that means you are burning over 1000 calories. what are you doing on your feet all day to burn 1000+ calories?

I work in a special needs school so I'm on my feet all day running around with the children non stop
    I wear a fit bit which gives me my calorie burn
    My first weigh in is mind at so I'll see what the results are and go from there I guess

Thanks for you help
  • suenewberry81
    Options
    Weigh in is Monday so I'll see what the results are
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks

I work in a special needs school so I'm on my feet all day running around with the children non stop
    My first weigh in is mind at so I'll see what the results are and go from there I guess

Thanks for you help

So you should have MFP set to at least lightly active, but I am leaning more towards active for that level of activity. You have your activity level set to low and is why you are seeing such large adjustments from your Fitbit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for you help

your fitbit also includes your BMR into the burn for the day. so if you are burning an extra 1000 calories you definitely need to net more. you arent doing your body any good eating so little