Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fed up of gym what now?

2»

Replies

• von66mfp
    von66mfp Posts: 22 Member
    To be honest I'm struggling think of a goal other than losing weight and getting fitter which is probably where I'm going wrong 😣. I've got no real focus. That and too many classes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,435 Member
    von66mfp wrote: »
    To be honest I'm struggling think of a goal other than losing weight and getting fitter which is probably where I'm going wrong 😣. I've got no real focus. That and too many classes.

If you like cycling or running, there are all kinds of events you could train for.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Sounds like you are getting tired of the same old classes/routines. Might want to re-evaluate or make new/more specific goals to achieve. Look into programs. Try out some new exercises & find things you enjoy
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    How long have you been on the hrt? When did you notice your change in attitude in relation to when you started hrt?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks.

I walk everyday as I've got a dog so always do over 10k steps.

Feel as though I've hit a wall really. Not noticed any progress or changes for a while. I've still got weight to lose plus I want to be fitter. I'm just not sure if the classes will deliver the results I'm looking for and maybe that's why I'm fed up of going. Also I'm 52 and just started hrt.

How’s your food logging? Do you use a food scale to weigh all solid and semi solids? How long has it been since you lost weight? A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss, but for fitness, you just need to find something that you enjoy to do. I do agree with those who mentioned that you’ve hit a wall due to overtraining.
  • von66mfp
    Been on hrt exactly 17 days and don't think it will be much longer feel dreadful on them had severe stomach cramps and backache all day and certainly don't feel myself which isn't helping.

Not done any cycling and hardly any running.

I've lost 2lbs this week with IF.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Been on hrt exactly 17 days and don't think it will be much longer feel dreadful on them had severe stomach cramps and backache all day and certainly don't feel myself which isn't helping.

You lost 2lb with a calorie deficit, IF is just an eating pattern
  • von66mfp
    It seems to be working better for me.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2018

You lost 2lb with a calorie deficit, IF is just an eating pattern

This, exactly. Any diet is driven by calorie deficit. It’s an eating pattern that is suited to you, and that’s fine. Many do IF.

You mention not having any progress/changes, yet you did lose 2lb this week. That is progress! Slow down on the exercise and you’ll start making progress. Too much exercise can raise cortisol levels... stress.

If your HRT isn’t making you feel good, talk to you doctor. There may be an alternative. I hope you feel better soon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Joined gym in Jan. Loved it. Started building classes made friends etc. Ended up doing 12 classes a week including body pump, crossfit, yoga, Pilates, boxercise etc. I've lost 21 inches and 10lb. Recently I've started getting really fed up and can't be bothered go I've got no idea why. I'm just not getting same buzz.

I have got home gym, dvds and thinking about getting beach body on demand. I've also started IF.

Don't know what to do.

Probably burn out....12 classes per week is a lot...beyond that, IDK...I'm not really a "classes" kind of guy. I enjoy getting out on my bike, hiking, rock climbing, etc.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member

This sounds like an accurate assessment to me. I used to go to tons of exercises classes (usually twice a day, 6 days a week), at first I loved it and made a great deal of progress towards my goals. Eventually I did start getting bored with that, and felt like I hadn't made any measurable progress in at least 6 months. I decided to take a leap and change it all up, I realized I needed clear goals. My goals are now all strength based (which is awesome, because I keep just raising my lift goals so there is always something new to aim for) and I've fallen in love with working out again.

It could be anything really that speaks to you, I know for my Dad his is a very ambitious marathon time goal. I will just say (for me personally) I've found that since making my goal an ability as opposed to aesthetic has also been a game changer for how I feel about myself and my body.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

What sorts of things do you *like* to do? Like, not even necessarily "go to class" or "lose weight", but do you run, swim, bike, yoga, or anything like that?

Could you then come up with a performance goal related to that? Like, maybe doing an open swim race, or hitting X number of spin classes in a month, or doing a 5K or half marathon, holding positions in a yoga class, etc?

I know for me, focusing on a performance-related goal is a tremendous help, and it helps me get over humps of "I don't wanna do this anymore". Then, building the exercise around that goal happens naturally.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Set a goal, plan a trip. Always motivates me.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member

Two pounds in a week is a big loss especially considering hormonal changes.

17 days may not be enough time for hrt to fully settle in but there is no harm calling your doctor for a discussion about your symptoms including your attitude towards things you previously enjoyed. I do think burnout is playing a part but so could hrt as it's changing the balance of hormones. It should be changing the balance in a positive way and since it isn't talk to your doctor. If you aren't being taken seriously or having discussions about alternatives find another doctor.
  • von66mfp
    Thanks everyone for input.

Decided stop hrt it's my third attempt with same side effects.

Going start thinking about what actual goals I want to achieve other than lose weight and get fit 👍
  • senor_jeff
    senor_jeff Posts: 47 Member
    I went to gym classes for years and lost little weight. Got aVery toned though. Then I started running which I found burns way more calories and gets you even “fitter” . Back then my goal was to lose weight and now my goal is met 73kg my current goal is to run faster!
  • andreajaimie
    andreajaimie Posts: 12 Member
    Joined gym in Jan. Loved it. Started building classes made friends etc. Ended up doing 12 classes a week including body pump, crossfit, yoga, Pilates, boxercise etc. I've lost 21 inches and 10lb. Recently I've started getting really fed up and can't be bothered go I've got no idea why. I'm just not getting same buzz.

I have got home gym, dvds and thinking about getting beach body on demand. I've also started IF.

Don't know what to do.

Find or try a different gym!? I LOVE the one I go to and my Fitfam is the reason I'm there 5 days per week and have so much fun in our HIIT bootcamp. The ppl keep me pumped!
  • andreajaimie
    andreajaimie Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks everyone for input.

Decided stop hrt it's my third attempt with same side effects.

Going start thinking about what actual goals I want to achieve other than lose weight and get fit 👍

Also - try OCR's! I did 3 this year and its ADDICTIVE! Its your own way of keeping at it, with some sort of run or OCR coming up you'll want to stay in the gym.
  • HeyEmilio
    HeyEmilio Posts: 64 Member
    Hitting lifting personal records is fun... I love the natural high, cannot get enough. Hope I never burn out.
  • BecMarty14
    BecMarty14 Posts: 351 Member
    edited October 2018
    Every 3-5 weeks I switch my routine up because I get bored.
    I'm on a workout with YouTube workouts and swimming (because the pool is about to close).
    I'm looking forward to going back to a gym in a few weeks. I love the stairmaster and other non impact cardio.
    Some weeks I'll just feel like running more.
    This is for a lifetime, and variety is the spice of life.
    I try to keep evening walks fairly consistent because it is more about relaxation and processing life.