gluten free

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    gillrushhh wrote: »
    has anyone gone gluten free for weight loss? not specifically atkins or keto, but just no bread/pasta/baked goods/etc.

If the only change you made was to stop eating bread/pasta/baked goods, yes, you would lose weight for sure.

You'd have to not substitute equally caloric GF alternatives for them though.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I’ve been gluten free due to celiac disease.

I lost a lot of weight when the illness hit because I was so nauseous and even water wasn’t sitting well.
    After getting a biopsy of my stomach and small intestine, I did the FODMAP diet which eliminates a ton of things while your body heals itself. Then you begin adding foods back in over time to see if you get a flare up. Not only due I have celiac and have to deal with gluten intolerance, but I also have polyps on my gallbladder which causes pancreatitis. So for a few months, I’ve been able to eat fruits, veggies (except edamame, and celery since they cause flare ups), and some dairy. No coffee, no sugary sweets, very little meat, no artificial sweeteners, and no oats. Those are the absolute worse for me, even though some are to be gluten free.
    Going gluten free helped me ‘maintain’ weight better without counting calories once I was getting better. But I was underweight, so I actually had to gain weight to get back to where I am.