Anyone want to start the 5:2 diet with me? :)

Options
Hi :) The commitment of cooking from scratch every night has me abandoning Slimmingworld now in favour of the 5:2. So many friends have found success with it so I’m going to give it a chance starting Monday if anyone would like to try it with me?

Replies

• Kelliegann88
    Kelliegann88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Is 5:2 where you water fast for 5 days and eat normal for 2 days?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    No @Kelliegann88 , 5:2 is 2 fasting days, 5 normal eating days (and by fasting they usually mean eating between 500 - 800 cals)

I am not sure how the change in calorie allowance or adding fasting days is going to work any better than just sticking to an allocated number of calories that put you into an energy deficit...have you tried MFP goal setting for calories...by putting in your weight, the amount of weight you want to lose per week and working from there?

Would you not have to cook some things from scratch eating on the 5:2 plan, it does not discount fresh, home cooked food does it? Also most calorie counting and food weighing includes anything that fits your plan, be it ready meals or freshly prepared...I am confused...
  • Kathrynprestridge
    Kathrynprestridge Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started this on Thursday this week!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Is 5:2 where you water fast for 5 days and eat normal for 2 days?

OMG, no! Sounds dangerous.

5:2 is where you eat at maintenance for 5 days and around 500 calories for 2 days. You get a moderate deficit (for the week) by strict calories for 2 days.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet
  • kimmyd201
    kimmyd201 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I will still cook from scratch on occasion but just not every single time. My friends that have done the 5:2 don’t struggle on the 500 kcal days as they are really inventive with calories and still manage to have breakfast lunch and dinner but with some great really low kcal ideas. Apparently there are many health benefits to adding a couple of fast days. I would never fast to the point of no food or anything dangerous.