Discrepancy in Calories

Options
I find it frustrating to find the appropriate calories for foods when dining out-
We usually go out to eat on the weekends and I try to plan ahead- but when I look for foods on MFP- the calories can be so wide varied
For instance- I wanted a side of onion rings (yes- I know not a great choice but I try to fit them in) some entries show 350 calories and others show 560-
This is a problem for other foods too
How do I know which is more accurate?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    What does the restaurant's nutritional information say? It's going to be more accurate than some random database entry.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    evergreenlakegirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It’s not a chain restaurant- that’s the problem
    Even if we go to a local diner
  • nutmegoreo
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Then make your best guess. There is no way of knowing. There are different batter formulas, which will change the calorie count. I would not use the lowest calorie one though. Just know that your logging for that day will be off, so it becomes more important to be accurate the rest of the week.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    At a 1200 calorie deficit- one order of onion rings can really blow my day 😛
  • nutmegoreo
    edited October 2018
    Options
    At a 1200 calorie deficit- one order of onion rings can really blow my day 😛

Yup, those types of things can really suck up a lot of calories. Wanting to lose weight while not feeling guilty about wanting to enjoy my food led me to choose to increase my calorie intake.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Try finding a chain restaurant that serves onion rings similar to the ones you ate and use that. You could try using Applebees, Steak n Shake, TGI Fridays onion ring calories for your estimate. I think somewhere in the 500 calorie range sounds likely.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    Try finding a chain restaurant that serves onion rings similar to the ones you ate and use that. You could try using Applebees, Steak n Shake, TGI Fridays onion ring calories for your estimate. I think somewhere in the 500 calorie range sounds likely.

Oh boy! 500 calories!!!! Almost half my calories!!!
    Now I see how I gained weight