Food dehydrator

Options
Thinking of buying a food dehydrator to make dried fruit. I’ve made baked apple slices in the oven and takes so long. What do you all think about dried fruit? Any suggestions on what kind works best in a dehydrator? Thank you

Replies

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I love my dehydrator!! Watch out for the calories because it is super easy to put away a ton of calories of dried fruit. I usually do apples and pineapples. I recently did watermelon and it's so good. I also do berries to put in oatmeal packs to take camping. You can also dehydrate veggies to make better for you ramen for camping. I also recently made a trail mix that was really good that had dehydrate blueberries and apples in it. I've done oranges before and they were mediocre.
  • jonalicia2503
    jonalicia2503 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you skram01. I’m going today to buy one. And yes I’m sure it is easy to eat a lot of it. Have you ever tried kiwi?
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Figs. Turkish figs, in particular. Although I think the ones sold in stores are sun dried.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have not tried kiwi. I feel like citrus fruits are hit or miss. The dogs are a good idea. If you can get prune plums and apricots they are also good. I'm thinking about trying the pea part of sugar snap peas as well as other melons. I don't know if it will work but there's only one way to find out. I also forgot to mention kale. Doing kale chips is amazing. I would suggest putting a very small amount of oil on them as well as some kind of seasoning. I always put salt and I've also added garlic and nutritional yeast before. Be very cautious with the salt and seasonings though because the kale shrinks and the things you add become concentrated.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I actually have bananas in mine right now.
    I start them after work and let them go overnight.
    I bought a mandoline for my apples since uneven slices makes dehydrating a bit annoying since half will be done, then you have to condense the softer ones on another tray to continue drying.
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    I actually have bananas in mine right now.
    I start them after work and let them go overnight.
    I bought a mandoline for my apples since uneven slices makes dehydrating a bit annoying since half will be done, then you have to condense the softer ones on another tray to continue drying.

How did the bananas turn out? I really want to make banana chips but have not talked to anyone that has ever made them ?
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    skram01 wrote: »
    I have not tried kiwi. I feel like citrus fruits are hit or miss. The dogs are a good idea. If you can get prune plums and apricots they are also good. I'm thinking about trying the pea part of sugar snap peas as well as other melons. I don't know if it will work but there's only one way to find out. I also forgot to mention kale. Doing kale chips is amazing. I would suggest putting a very small amount of oil on them as well as some kind of seasoning. I always put salt and I've also added garlic and nutritional yeast before. Be very cautious with the salt and seasonings though because the kale shrinks and the things you add become concentrated.

Oohh, will definitely have go try the kale chips. Thank you for the great suggestions. I made peaches for my first try at the dehydrator. Those were good
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    been using a dehydrator for many years. Apples and bananas are easy. I've also done vegetables like onions (do that one outside tho as you'll get whacked with the fumes). do alot of home grown herbs like parsley, chives etc that are SO expensive (and somewhat tasteless) store bought.

If you decide to get a dehydrator and find you enjoy it, I recommend getting a mandolin slicer to make the chore faster. if you buy a slicer be sure to also get hand protection. Those slicers really... slice.
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    keithwp99 wrote: »
    been using a dehydrator for many years. Apples and bananas are easy. I've also done vegetables like onions (do that one outside tho as you'll get whacked with the fumes). do alot of home grown herbs like parsley, chives etc that are SO expensive (and somewhat tasteless) store bought.

If you decide to get a dehydrator and find you enjoy it, I recommend getting a mandolin slicer to make the chore faster. if you buy a slicer be sure to also get hand protection. Those slicers really... slice.

Thank you! Yes I’ll definitely need a mandolin. I have a slicer but hard to maneuver sometimes with some fruits