Ideas to sneak in exercise

Options
So I work 12.5 hour night shifts an hour away from home. Any ideas how to sneak in a quick workout pre/post work without a gym visit y’all? I usually do more home aerobics and walk/jog/running but as work picks up and days get shorter, so much harder to fit in on days I work... please feel free to give advice, I’m seriously asking

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym. My main cardio is walking. How do you get to work? If it's by car, is it safe for you to park further away and get some extra steps in? Same question applies if you take public transit: can you get off a couple of stops early?

Is your office all on one floor? If it isn't can you up and down the stairs a few times at lunch or on a break? (Or just walk around the office without attracting stares?)
  • mommacara82
    mommacara82 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I’m a nurse and I have to drive and I already do park at the back of the lot when safe and able, I don’t know why going a few laps on the stairwell never occurred, I take the stairs throughout shifts if I need to go to a different floor but a few in a row would actually help quite a bit. Thank you.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I also wish I had an answer to this. I work in an office and am self conscious of sweat of BO to try and workout at lunch. With a baby I have no time at home.

I have settled for now on stretches and coordination training over lunch and a light workout immediately after work when baby naps.
  • kkrystosek
    kkrystosek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I bought a small stationary bike that I sit on my couch and use so that I can still snuggle my daughter, watch her cartoons with her while I ride. This way we both win!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    • Parking further away
    • Taking walks on breaks
    • Squats or jogging in place when you go to the bathroom
    • Youtube workouts (HASFIT has some great ones that are about 15 mins long and don't require any equipment)

As a nurse you're probably on your feet a lot anyway, if your goal is weight loss/maintenance try and incorporate a little strength training to maintain muscle and focus on your food for your calorie deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Work out on your non working days?
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, I’m sure you’re running around getting plenty of cardio through out your shifts, so I honestly wouldn’t worry about extra workouts outside of that on work days. Like @TavistockToad said above, just workout on your off days.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I do squats whenever I wash my hands, and push ups against a table or wall when printing documents. Leg lifts while sitting, etc.
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    caras1982 wrote: »
    I’m a nurse and I have to drive and I already do park at the back of the lot when safe and able, I don’t know why going a few laps on the stairwell never occurred, I take the stairs throughout shifts if I need to go to a different floor but a few in a row would actually help quite a bit. Thank you.

When I do those 12.5 hour shifts, I absolutely dont workout. I do try to take the stairs at work when I can. It can be difficult to get more exercise in when working such long hours with that commute. I also try to help other people more at work if I can to fit in extra steps. Not sure how it is for you but, I dont usually get breaks and lunch can be about 5 minutes sometimes just enough to get a couple bites of food in. Workout on days off and maybe add a few minutes to offset the workdays.
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Do like the ancient Greeks, before gyms (albeit gymnasium is an ancient Greek word) and use your own body and gravity to do workouts.
    Look up calisthenics- athletes still use it, military, martial arts and anybody else (like me) with little time and no inclination to give my money to a gym which I will hardly use
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to know a nurse who wore light ankle weights during her shifts to increase calorie burn