Calorie counting flawed?????

Options
13»

Replies

• BIG_Lew
    BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Wow guys....I was just sharing info I found interesting.....not info I found to be "gospel". In truth if you look long and hard enough you can find a study on every point of view supporting their claims or trying to add validity.
    In my case I lost 43 lbs between Jan 2nd and May 2nd. I ate a clean, whole foods diet, nothing artificial, refined, colored, preservative and additive free, ect. no sugars, no white breads, flours, pastas, ect.
    BUT....I did stick to 1200 base calories a day and added in my exercise calories. I do think there are no 2 bodies a like, I think we all metabolize at different rates, and so much factors in to our individual bodies. I was not trying to suggest this article posted was what "we" should be doing. To each their own I always say. :bigsmile:
    Thxs for sharing this info.....keep the info coming......ppl can argue ur findings but the proof is in the pudding. If it don't apply let it fly is wht I always say. Wht works for one may not work for another, but it doesn't hurr to research all avenues to see which one works. Thxs again Diva keep puttn out this informative info :-)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Oh one more bit of info mentioned on the show...the definition of what a calorie actually is:

A calorie is the amount of energy, or heat, it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit).

And this is why a calorie is a calorie. It's a unit of energy. It's a constant. Like pi. 1 calorie = 4.184 joules.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    In my valiant effort to remain relaxed and calm in this thread, I'm going to ask you a very basic question in a very basic scenario.

Since you think high insulin levels = weight gain.

My TDEE = 3000 calories
    My calorie intake = 2500 calories

I eat two VERY large meals for the entire day. Once in the morning, and once at night.

Will I gain weight? (I'm interested in hearing your answer here)

If this were true, then the answer to weight loss would just be to eat constantly. Infinitely small meals. Doesn't matter what I eat, as long as I eat 4000 times a day I'll be losing weight like mad! :-)
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wow. This little argument going on is kind of entertaining. You're both right. So no need to fight.

Blood sugar spikes and valleys will make you gain weight because they make you crave more food. If you DO NOT EAT when your blood sugar drops even though you are craving/starving then you won't gain weight.
    Everyone needs the right amount of glucose (sugar) in their blood to maintain energy and power bodily functions. In fact, too little blood sugar is an emergency to the brain, which responds by creating hunger. By eating, the body restores its blood sugar to appropriate levels — at least until the next drop triggers hunger again. For people with a blood sugar imbalance, these urges to eat can be almost impossible to ignore and can add unwanted and unneeded calories to their diets.

Thanks for the info OP. I like all of it. Nothing is set in stone, nothing is a hard and fast rule... but the statements generally hold true.