Lean bulking

Options
How many calories should I eat to lean bulk ?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    depends on a whole bunch of things such as your height/weight/age... go calculate you tdee on something like tdeecalculator.net and work it out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Roughly 10% above your maintenance levels, with a well structured lifting routine and about .8-1.2g/lb of protein.
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Enough of a surplus to equal a 2-3 pound gain per month.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    4Pop wrote: »

Exactly how would one gain about 3 lbs per month without steriods? Maximal gains for me with an optimum nutrition and an optimum program max out at about 2lbs per month. Effective rate of gain is probably less.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Exactly how would one gain about 3 lbs per month without steriods? Maximal gains for me with an optimum nutrition and an optimum program max out at about 2lbs per month. Effective rate of gain is probably less.

I don't think we can say that applies to everyone. There are those who can gain more and gain less fat. Programming, age, genetics, lifting experience, and test levels can all affect your p-ratio. Heck i have seen women do 50/50.

Personally, i think its better to monitor how you are developing and adjust.
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    Options

So from the 2-3 pounds I posted, you chose to ignore the 2, for the sake of an argument. And, as already mentioned, you're not the "standard".
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

So from the 2-3 pounds I posted, you chose to ignore the 2, for the sake of an argument. And, as already mentioned, you're not the "standard".

I didn't ignore the 2 lbs.
    Maximal gains for me with an optimum nutrition and an optimum program max out at about 2lbs per month.

I addressed both amounts. I did mean to type "men" not "me". At age 67, I am definitely not the standard! The info I've read that I am basing my opinion on is from Lyle McDonald and the article he did on this topic. It does not agree with you are psulemon or rates of gain above 2lbs. for anyone but beginners or the obese. He calculates the models based on a % of body weight.

i suppose there could always be genetic outliers but I wouldn't approach my training and set my expectations on being one.
  • Rabbit91476
    Rabbit91476 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That 2-3 pounds won’t be all muscle. I’m Guess I’m about 12% body fat. I read try to get to 9-10% body fat. Lean bulk to 15-16. Then cut back to 9-10. Repeat. Keep the protein up to not loose mass.

Now me. I’m going to maintenance calorie. Threw dinner. And my extra 200-300 is a health carb treat 2-4 times a week. Like popcorn or something. I only do. Moderate calisthenics. So I will never massively gain muscle mass but if I can pack on5-10 pounds of muscle over a year and still look and feel good I’m half