cheat days

Options
So I read in an article that you can have one cheat day once a week, however what if I save all my cheat days because I'm going to take a mini vacation. Is it true that you can have a cheat day once a week, like a cheat day to eat and drink what and how much you like? Can you please explain how a cheat day works?

Replies

• Lawman7788
    Lawman7788 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ive found whatever version of a cheat day I take, it hurts in the long run. Its always harder to get back on track for me. But yet, I still think cheat days are important. I'm still trying to figure it out myself.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I do my best to fit in foods I like into my daily calories and still create a deficit. I like the recommendations above to look at it weekly as well as to consider how quickly you want to lose the weight. If you do take cheat days, please know it will take longer to lose the weight and can lead to the "It's not working and I want to give up" post. :wink:

Good luck.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I think it comes more down to a lifestyle you want. If you’re craving something hardcore, have it. You coding even have to wait for a specific day if it can fit into your daily goal.
    And go ahead and enjoy yourself on a vacation. Sample local food you won’t usually find in your own city instead of binging on everything, including simple prepackaged treats you can find everywhere.

It’s about a lifestyle; not a way of dieting.
    Also, most people walk more during vacations when they’re doing their tourist activities. So continue stepping. Also, don’t go home and then step on the scale. You’re going to be bloated from water retention due to sodium and repairs the muscles are making during recovery from walking.
    Return to healthy eating and your body will balance out within a week.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Now, to the question at hand...

It is basic math. So, if you limit caloric intake over a period of time so that you can splurge for a vacation, you will stay on your weight loss plan. That is, IF your net average caloric intake over that entire period (limited time plus splurge time) is lower than what your body requires. Some people can manage that effectively. Some not so much.

You may be better served if you figure out what your weight management goal is for your vacation and leave everything else out. There are four possible goals:
    1. Stay on loss program and continue all aspects including tracking, etc.
    2. Attempt to maintain- slight uptick in consumption with or without tracking, etc.
    3. Eat mindfully, including enjoying foods you might otherwise avoid or severely limit with goal of small gain
    4. Balls out gluttony

I generally have done #3 and it’s worked for me. Remember, even if you do #4 and gain, say, five pounds, it doesn’t take that long to lose that weight again once you return home. So, if it’s worth it to you, why not go for it. Because there are few easier ways to ruin a vacation (for you and everybody with you) than to be all pouty because you’re unhappy with the eating situation.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I think it's time to surrender to "cheat" as this terminology. Words are nuanced. It serves the purpose.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have cheat days where I go crazy and binge all day, but I do have cheat meals once a week. Usually on Saturdays, because I like to go out to eat. Next week for example, I plan on having white castle for dinner, followed by a slice of apple pie with ice cream for dessert. I will still eat a healthy breakfast and lunch with no snacks in between. What I will do is set my daily calorie limit to maintenance level, and log everything to make sure I don't overeat to the point of gaining. My maintenance level is about 2800 calories though, and i'll probably end up eating 1800 between dinner and dessert.

The reason I do this is so I am still aware of how much I am eating that day. I wouldn't want to go OVER my maintenance level because then it's just undoing some work from the day before. The hardest part about cheat days is trying not to think about that apple pie the next day...lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Oh, good grief: The pointless moralism! It's just tood, not a cycle of sin snd expiation.

Which was my point. I don't like the term because it represents a concept that is unhealthy. Namely, that there is a moral judgement to be made when somebody decides to treat themselves or splurge on a snack or meal. It reinforces and perpetuates some societal notion that fat people are somehow weak and/or inferior because they enjoy a Dove Bar or Fettuccine Alfredo once in awhile. We who are overweight then develop some very negative thoughts regarding ourselves because we seem to be unable to manage a 'diet' without having to cheat on it.

Plus, most 'cheating', even though immoral, is designed to advance somebody toward their desired goal. How exactly does that work when it comes to 'cheating' on a diet?

Exactly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    Who exactly do you cheat on a ‘cheat day’ or with a ‘cheat meal’?

It’s horrible terminology that society (and fat people) use when they’re really talking about splurging or treating themselves. Cheaters are naughty people without a conscience. They have compromised morals and limited self-control.

Come on, it's food . . . it's not like you're breaking your marriage vows or stealing from orphans.

Edit: Never mind. I saw your other post and now understand what you meant.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Once a week I have a meal out that I don't have to worry about "how do I log this?" I eat what I want, then go back to logging after that. It's less about wanting to "cheat" or eat like crazy, but just a little freedom from all the mental math of logging.