What did you do with clothes that are now too large for you?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Donate or sell them on Facebook
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    If it is something that I really love, I hang onto it. Otherwise I give them to my cleaning lady who gives them to her friends. I have a large wardrobe, so nothing gets worn out. It warms my heart to think of someone else getting some enjoyment from them.
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Honestly I can't afford buying new clothes just yet, so I'm making do with the bigger ones. Granted, I'm working on a smaller loss than some so the difference won't be as big, but the bigger ones are definitely hanging off me now. When I hit my goal weight, I'll allow myself to donate any pants that no longer fit and the clothes I no longer like and hit the thrift shops!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited October 2018
    I kept one pair of jeans (it's handy for seeing how much I've lost) and some items that I really loved so might get taken in. There are some items that I keep purely because sometimes I get quite bloaty because of hormonal water retention around my period so they are more comfortable.

The rest I donated one day when I saw a facebook ad looking for larger size clothes for a homeless charity. I've some good quality items that I'll probably sell too, but they are one of those things on the bottom of the to-do list.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Donate- why keep the clutter?
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    I kept a few of my favourite items that were too small, but donated most of it since that was in my early twenties before I had kids and just not my style anymore. I thought when I lose the weight I could treat myself with new clothes!

For the clothes too big, I haven't gone through that problem yet (I can't wait!) since I only lost 6lbs so far, but I think I will donate them, maybe keep a pair of pants for comparison and as a reminder of where I don't want to go back!

I don't like hoarding old clothes lol.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Donated to a thrift store, that supports the disabled with their proceeds.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    @musicfan68
    “If I want to remember my progress, I go to a store, get a pair in my original size and one in my current size and hold them up to look at the difference. Good motivation.”

Thank You for posting this! I gave away all of my larger clothes As I am truly doing the Mari Kindo method of only keeping things I love. There have been times I regretted giving away my largest pounds but then I would think about how bad I would feel about how big are used to be. But your idea makes me realize that if I ever do move sight of what I’ve accomplished I can just go to the store so thank you!!

To the OP:
    I would keep things that were one size smaller up on the shelf in my closet so basically if I tried on something it was loose I would throw it up there. When I went down another size then I would give away what was up on the shelf start tossing the new size up there. Originally, I felt there were two options keep it or give it away. Overtime thanks two posters on my fitness pal, I realize there were some other options.

Alteration which other people have mentioned. I have kept a handful of items that have very nice fabric and are in good shape With the plan to alter them. I have a couple of coats that I’m going to turn into wrap coat dresses, for example (I had Worn most of my heavier clothes out, refusing to buy new ones it that way.) however, when I’m finding is I get very close to my goal weight is that I like my clothes to fit snugly, so if I can’t do that with the larger pieces I will give them away and buy new items.

The other option which I wish I had thought of as I was losing weight is to be clever about using belts and other methods to tighten larger clothes.

I recently had to have surgery, and I was very glad I had those ones lies two big items up on my shelf because I had to wear a blouse with only one arm in it and the rest pulled over the other arm and they were big enough to do that. Also as others have mentioned it’s nice to have some older clothes that you don’t care about for either working out or painting or other Messier jobs. I generally wear old clothes when I’m camping but now I want to feel good all the time so I probably will wear my regular clothes camping from now on.

I really do enjoy having a closet where I can wear everything that is hanging on the rod and in the drawers. Most of the items in my closet are “thin clothes” that I did keep. I remember many times thinking I should get rid of them but I never gave up. I remember having an overstuffed closet and drawers and only being able to wear a handful of items at my heaviest. Good motivation.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    I donated most of the bottoms as I hate to wear belts and some of them can't even be saved with a belt. Depending on the top style, I kept some of them. Baggy tops can be fashionable and can be made to look pretty good if you style them correctly. I avoided baggy tops like the plague when I was heavier because I thought they made me look even fatter, but I guess when you're a normal weight they don't really do that anymore.
  • gfitzsimmons
    gfitzsimmons Posts: 1 Member
    Sent all mine to ThredUP and used the credits I got to buy new, smaller clothes :)
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    I keep all of mine, you never know when you might need a comfy pants day. And I don't like shopping, so no way i'm going to do that again. Most of mine are hand me downs from my sisters anyways I don't have that many clothes so I don't feel too bad about space.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Honestly? They are all piled up beside my dresser waiting for be re-sorted for donation. Have been for a couple of months now :lol: I'll get to it...eventually.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    I kept my largest pair of jeans for sh!ts and giggles. I sometimes take them out to remind myself how far I came.

I also have kept a few basic pieces from one size larger than I'm maintaining at. Everything else was either discarded or donated.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Donated...maintenance for 5.5 years
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    I'm keeping one shirt and one pair of pants. So far I've donated 90% of of my old stuff (all very gently used), I have a few designer pieces that are new that I'm selling (only about 5-10 items). I've replaced 80% of all my clothes and will have to do it again in a few sizes!
    My biggest issue will be shoes, I think maybe my feet are shrinking, and I wear a size 3 in kids shoes....so smaller shoes will be kinda funny! I already get to buy shoes with every Disney character on them
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    BTW, my weight loss had to happen for me to cure a stomach virus and it's complications. If I gain any back I get VERY sick again, so that's my motivation to never gain again