Daily Calorie Goal

Options
I have just started today and I am not sure what my calorie goal should be. I did a calculation on a random website and it gave me 1716 to lose weight steadily and not quickly (that was about 1250 - wtf!!). How did everyone else set themselves a daily calorie limit?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    2000. I'm 43, 5'9 and 180 lbs.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    geraldinia wrote: »
    I have just started today and I am not sure what my calorie goal should be. I did a calculation on a random website and it gave me 1716 to lose weight steadily and not quickly (that was about 1250 - wtf!!). How did everyone else set themselves a daily calorie limit?

I just filled out my profile here on MFP and it gave me a calorie goal.
  • geraldinia
    geraldinia Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think it may have done that when I originally joined in 2011 but have just logged on again 7 years later and no option to do that I don't think.
    I am 41, 5'3 and 165 l.bs
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I just filled out my profile here on MFP and it gave me a calorie goal.

Yep. But I have really inconsistent activity levels day-to-day, so now to be on the safe side I wear a fitness/heart-rate tracker that’s connected to MFP. MFP gives me a basic calculation based on my age, height, weight, activity, and goals, then the tracker adjusts that number based on how much I’ve actually moved during the day. It just kind of runs itself, which I like.
  • arobey11
    arobey11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think it may have done that when I originally joined in 2011 but have just logged on again 7 years later and no option to do that I don't think.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • kimny72
    Options

Sure you can, just go to Settings and poke around in there.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    With your stats 1 pound a week would be reasonable. Let MFP set a goal for you. The calculators are only going to be as good as the information you provide so just be honest.
  • geraldinia
    Options
    I found the place to do it and made some adjustments BUT it gave me a target of 1200. WTF!! I am having a hard enough time with 1700!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I found the place to do it and made some adjustments BUT it gave me a target of 1200. WTF!! I am having a hard enough time with 1700!!!

Did you tell it you want to lose the maximum, 2 pounds a week? That would be too fast a loss rate, given that you're not seriously obese.

Also, keep in mind that MFP expects you to log exercise, and eat those calories back, too. Most of the outside calculators are estimating TDEE, so they average in your expected exercise. MFP only counts the exercise you actually do, and record.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

MFP doesn’t include exercise in your calorie goal.

When you exercise you are supposed to eat at least some of the exercise calories you burn when you workout.

So it might be 1200 on a day you don’t workout and then when you do workout you will want to NET 1200 (which might end up being 1700+ total calories).

Also make sure you have the correct activity level selected and the appropriate rate of loss. I get 1200 if I choose Sedentary and 1 lb per week loss. Granted I am not Sedentary and at my weight 0.5lb per week is more appropriate.
  • geraldinia
    edited October 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Did you tell it you want to lose the maximum, 2 pounds a week? That would be too fast a loss rate, given that you're not seriously obese.

Also, keep in mind that MFP expects you to log exercise, and eat those calories back, too. Most of the outside calculators are estimating TDEE, so they average in your expected exercise. MFP only counts the exercise you actually do, and record.

What is TDEE?

I don't remember giving it a weight loss per week!
  • geraldinia
    edited October 2018
    Options

When you exercise you are supposed to eat at least some of the exercise calories you burn when you workout.

So it might be 1200 on a day you don’t workout and then when you do workout you will want to NET 1200 (which might end up being 1700+ total calories).

Also make sure you have the correct activity level selected and the appropriate rate of loss. I get 1200 if I choose Sedentary and 1 lb per week loss. Granted I am not Sedentary and at my weight 0.5lb per week is more appropriate.

I don't know if I could physically handle 1200! Even if I exercised and then ate up to 1700 based on what I had burned because I would be hungrier after exercising! Maybe I am freaking out because it is all new but I feel kind of disillusioned!

P.S. I put the one up from sedentary.
  • kimny72
    edited October 2018
    Options

This.

I started out lighter than you and my goal was 1300 calories for 0.5lbs per week. I synced my Fitbit and ate my exercise calories, ended up at @ 1550 cals per day. I made sure to eliminate "wasted" calories to make that goal easier - I hardly ever drank my calories (other than one beer on Saturday), and focused on figuring out which foods filled me up the most and which ones left me hungry no matter how much I ate.

1700 cals is actually a decent amount of food, it's pretty much what I maintain on. You might want to just log and not worry too much about calories for a week, but monitor how you feel and which foods are working for you. Make sure your getting enough protein, fat, and fiber - some combo of those typically help people feel satisfied. It's a process :smile:
  • geraldinia
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

This.

I started out lighter than you and my goal was 1300 calories for 0.5lbs per week. I synced my Fitbit and ate my exercise calories, ended up at @ 1550 cals per day. I made sure to eliminate "wasted" calories to make that goal easier - I hardly ever drank my calories (other than one beer on Saturday), and focused on figuring out which foods filled me up the most and which ones left me hungry no matter how much I ate.

1700 cals is actually a decent amount of food, it's pretty much what I maintain on. You might want to just log and not worry too much about calories for a week, but monitor how you feel and which foods are working for you. Make sure your getting enough protein, fat, and fiber - some combo of those typically help people feel satisfied. It's a process :smile:

Yes I think I need to take a few deep breaths and not freak out. I gave up booze 2 weeks ago after drinking every day so I need to get used to that too.
  • cathipa
    Options

I don't know if I could physically handle 1200! Even if I exercised and then ate up to 1700 based on what I had burned because I would be hungrier after exercising! Maybe I am freaking out because it is all new but I feel kind of disillusioned!

If this were true you wouldn't need to lose weight. You have been consuming more than 1200 calories a day to get where you are now.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

If this were true you wouldn't need to lose weight. You have been consuming more than 1200 calories a day to get where you are now.

She means 1200 is too low.
  • cathipa
    Options

Thanks for clarifying.
  • geraldinia
    Options

Yes!

How many is everyone else on?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

What is TDEE?

I don't remember giving it a weight loss per week!

Go back and look at the guided setup again. It asks how fast you want to lose.

TDEE = Total daily energy expenditure, or all the calories you burn doing everything you do in a day: Sleep, home chores, job, non-exercise hobbies, exercise, errands, etc. Most non-MFP calorie calculators estimate TDEE.

MFP estimates NEAT, which is Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis: Everthing that's in TDEE except intentional exercise.

Both of these include something called BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) or RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate), which are pretty much just the amount you'd burn in a coma or just lying in bed all day.

For most (not all) people, BMR/RMR is the highest single contributor to TDEE, daily life activity is second highest, and intentional exercise is 3rd.
  • geraldinia
    Options

What is TDEE?

I don't remember giving it a weight loss per week![/quote]

Go back and look at the guided setup again. It asks how fast you want to lose.

TDEE = Total daily energy expenditure, or all the calories you burn doing everything you do in a day: Sleep, home chores, job, non-exercise hobbies, exercise, errands, etc. Most non-MFP calorie calculators estimate TDEE.

MFP estimates NEAT, which is Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis: Everthing that's in TDEE except intentional exercise.

Both of these include something called BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) or RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate), which are pretty much just the amount you'd burn in a coma or just lying in bed all day.

For most (not all) people, BMR/RMR is the highest single contributor to TDEE, daily life activity is second highest, and intentional exercise is 3rd.[/quote]

Thanks for the info although I think I will need to re-read it a few times! :-)