KETO diet?

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    JenMull44 wrote: »
    I am currently doing KETO and to be honest cutting bread is half the battle. Start by also cutting sugar down. This is really what will make or break you on this lifestyle. I have been on KETO for 7 weeks and have loss 21lbs. I was suffering from migraines and knew in order to fix this, I had to change my diet.
    I have not had a migraine in 7 weeks and I feel amazing.
    Do your research and join support groups, a good one is PUSH FOR YOUR BETTER on FB.

if you are cutting carbs you are essentially cutting sugar.carbs are sugar. but glad your migraines are doing better with keto

True...but starches and fiber are also carbohydrates. Sugar tends to be the ubiquitous and well known carb "offender" but just cutting sugar isn't going help most people reach and maintain ketosis.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    To me, keto is not primarily about weight-loss. It is more importantly about eating as cleanly as you can. No need to worry about sugar as this WOE is naturally low in sugar.

The Magic Pill on Netflix will open your eyes to what this way of eating is and how it can accomplish what it does.

You will naturally lose weight, a byproduct of this way of eating.

you dont naturally lose weigh unless you are in a deficit no matter if you eat keto or not

But can I be naturally in deficit? :-)

How would you define if a calorie deficit was "natural" or "unnatural"?

this exactly

I thought the smiley at the end would tip you all off that the comment was intended as humor but you missed that.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    I started Keto six days ago. I didn't really go hard the first two days as I didn't really know what I was doing. Since menopause, I have not gotten the scale to budge and it's slowly gone up a pound here and a pound there even though I am an ultra runner. I have some ultra runner and triathlete friends who are getting great performance results from Keto, so I actually decided to try it for that. I noticed, almost immediately, that I was WAY less hungry and therefore eating WAY less calories. I haven't gotten to try it for performance as I am currently under chiropractic care for a few issues. What I can say is that it is working for my WAY beyond my wildest dreams. I started at 5'4" - 149. In six days I am down to 143.5 and I am more satisfied. Believe me, no one is more shocked than I am!! That's just my story. Everyone has different experiences with Keto and it doesn't work for everyone.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    JenMull44 wrote: »
    I am currently doing KETO and to be honest cutting bread is half the battle. Start by also cutting sugar down. This is really what will make or break you on this lifestyle. I have been on KETO for 7 weeks and have loss 21lbs. I was suffering from migraines and knew in order to fix this, I had to change my diet.
    I have not had a migraine in 7 weeks and I feel amazing.
    Do your research and join support groups, a good one is PUSH FOR YOUR BETTER on FB.

if you are cutting carbs you are essentially cutting sugar.carbs are sugar. but glad your migraines are doing better with keto

True...but starches and fiber are also carbohydrates. Sugar tends to be the ubiquitous and well known carb "offender" but just cutting sugar isn't going help most people reach and maintain ketosis.

reaching and maintaining keto means keeping all carbs low enough for the body to produce ketones. many people eat berries on a keto diet(they have fiber). those are carbs and have sugar, even veggies have some sugar. if you are cutting carbs way down then you are cutting sugar down as well. which is why most on keto do 25g or less or carbs (50g net is the suggested).while not everyone can do keto or sustain it because of having to be so low carb. and telling someone to cut bread from their diet is half the battle. not everyone eats bread and there are low carb options as well. for many not getting enough fiber in keto causes constipation. so not getting fiber in for some may make things worse.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I started Keto six days ago. I didn't really go hard the first two days as I didn't really know what I was doing. Since menopause, I have not gotten the scale to budge and it's slowly gone up a pound here and a pound there even though I am an ultra runner. I have some ultra runner and triathlete friends who are getting great performance results from Keto, so I actually decided to try it for that. I noticed, almost immediately, that I was WAY less hungry and therefore eating WAY less calories. I haven't gotten to try it for performance as I am currently under chiropractic care for a few issues. What I can say is that it is working for my WAY beyond my wildest dreams. I started at 5'4" - 149. In six days I am down to 143.5 and I am more satisfied. Believe me, no one is more shocked than I am!! That's just my story. Everyone has different experiences with Keto and it doesn't work for everyone.

the first big loss is water retention and glycogen stores being depleted that happens when first starting keto.
  • rsclause

I started keto July 10th and feel great. I love to run but I I don't seem to have the same energy level. I did take a long break after an ankle injury. Right now my legs just feel a bit heavy. Judging by your friends maybe there is hope for me. Glad you are enjoying keto.
  • rsclause
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    To me, keto is not primarily about weight-loss. It is more importantly about eating as cleanly as you can. No need to worry about sugar as this WOE is naturally low in sugar.

The Magic Pill on Netflix will open your eyes to what this way of eating is and how it can accomplish what it does.

You will naturally lose weight, a byproduct of this way of eating.

Clean eating is a term that is vague, subjective, and generally unhelpful as a prescription for how to eat. Many keto proponents drink bullet proof coffee and eat pork rinds - are those "clean" foods?

The Magic Pill, like most Netflix "documentaries" is an agenda driven fictionalization more than a factual, evidence based analysis.

No matter how you choose to eat, you only lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit. Keto or otherwise.

I don't hear the term "clean" much in keto but I do keep hearing the term "real food" which I guess is a recommendation to avoid highly processed foods.
  • fyrechild83
    fyrechild83 Posts: 4 Member
    I've been eating Keto for most of the past 3 1/2 months - September was more off than on because I went on vacation and then moved, but what I gained back I've already lost again. I started at 270 (I'm 5'6") and I'm down about 40 pounds now. As others have said, the big benefit for me is the satiety factor - eating such rich foods means I don't need to eat as much of them, so I've been at anywhere between 100 and 500 calorie deficits depending on the day. For me it's been an amazing way to eat - the food is really flavorful and delicious, and I'm just not hungry nearly as much as I have been when trying other low carb methods.

The one thing I've heard from friends trying keto - the few who haven't had great results - is that if you had your gallbladder out (more common than you would think nowadays) you may have problems digesting that much fat. I had mine out and I'm totally fine, but other friends had big problems. Just goes to show you how much success varies by person.

Anyway, good luck in your journey!
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited October 2018
    Keto for 4m and it's the only 'diet' I've ever done where I've never felt too deprived. I always see people saying it's not sustainable, but that could be said for any diet that the person isn't willing to put the effort in to.
    I started out at 224lbs at 5'3" and I'm down to 197. My husband started at the same time and he's lost 40lbs so far.

Anyway... I don't really track anymore, but if I did, I wouldn't go below 1200 calories. Lower than that isn't healthy IMO.
    My normal day of eating now that I'm intermittent fasting is.... leftovers or 2-3 eggs cooked in butter with 2 breakfast sausages at noon, maybe a snack of pickles or cheese, and then a protein and low carb veggie for dinner. Veggies could be cauliflower, broccoli, coleslaw (dukes mayo, celery seed, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder), salad (baby spinach, lettuce, cucumber, broccoli or cauliflower, sometimes grape tomatoes with store bought dressing, cheese, pickled jalapenos), sometimes asparagus if it's on sale, sometimes sauteed bell peppers if we're having sausage.
    The protein varies depending on whatever was on sale at the store lol. Sometimes it's steak (chuck eye normally since it's fatty and cheaper than ribeye). Sometimes hamburger patties. Sausages. Chicken breast. Chicken wings. Bacon & eggs etc. We don't do the whole grassfed stuff b/c it's too expensive for us, so we buy what we can afford.

I'm also a 'dirty' ketoer. I still drink diet dr pepper. Use artificial sweeteners if I want to try to bake a keto friendly dessert and don't really bother reading ingredients.. just focus on the carbs. Doing that has helped me to stay on this way of eating. I don't feel deprived most of the time.... unless it's potatoes... sigh.. I miss potatoes lol.
  • showjack70
    showjack70 Posts: 57 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'm afraid I disagree with some of this, but if you have info and sources to share I'll happily read them.
    showjack70 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    showjack70 wrote: »
    Keto does nothing special and may even have detrimental effects. If your calorie intake is "low", and you are not losing weight, you would be wise to address the issues that might be causing that rather than try another fad diet (not intended to be harsh or snarky).

Maybe your calories are not as low as you think? Maybe you are stressed? Maybe you are sleep deprived? Maybe you have hormonal issues/imbalances? Maybe you are losing body fat but gaining lean mass, so the scale isn't moving? Maybe you have digestion issues and are not getting proper nutrients (which Keto would only worse)? and so on....

Keto has been shown to be as effective as any other diet when it comes to weight loss. That's true. Nothing special(no metabolic magic).

But what detrimental effects are you talking about? The only ones I know of are for those who have some sort of lipid metabolizing disorder (which is usually discovered very young) or possibly those with familial hypercholesterolemia, which is not common. Those people may need to avoid it for health, but there are no detrimental effects that Joe Average needs to watch out for.

As for nutritional deficiencies, a ketogenic diet does not cause that unless you are choosing nutrient poor foods, like adding vegetable oils to everything to get lots of fat, or living on pork rinds.

Many with digestive issues do better with keto, especially lower fibre content, because much of the foods (especially animal products) tend to be lower residue foods which are digested earlier in the gut. There is much variation here.

Just a few things people should be aware of... there are many other drawbacks. And for what it is worth, I am not against or for any specific diet. I just want people to be more aware of the facts, so they don't spin on the diet (or health) hamster wheel.

• Cortisol increase (especially in women) which is the primary reason for brain clarity on keto

It's actually thought to be the metabolic flexibility, as I understand it. For those who have damaged glucose based metabolic function in the brain, ketones can provide more fuel.
    • Long term keto actually lends to increased body fat (this worsens when going back to carbs and becomes a vicious cycle)

Why would it increase body fat in the long term? You use fat for fuel, get just as much potein as someone who is eating in moderation, and can exercise for muscle mass.
    • You become glucose desensitized. Yea being fat adapted is great but you also want to be glucose adapted. You lose metabolic flexibility on keto. Leads to increased fat storage capability.

That's true. There is a transient glucose desensitization. Your body will not switch right back to glucose for its primary fuel. It takes a few days.

Just like it takes a few days for the body to switch to using fat and ketones for fuel.
    • Keto was developed for a diseased population. It was never meant as a long term way of eating for generally healthy people.

No. That's just when the medical community put a label on it. Northern European cultures, the plains of and north of Asia, and North America's plains and north were keto or low carb as a way of life for centuries. It's just a way of eating.

Medically prescribed ketogenic diets are quite different than a typical nutritional ketogenic diet.... although that is slowly changing and the medical diet is becoming more relaxed too.
    • You deprive your body of essential nutrients from eating a diverse diet that includes fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. From a very simplistic standpoint, do people really think butter and bacon or good for you but a sweet potato or fruit is detrimental?

There are no nutrients in plants that you can't get from animal products, and those nutrients are often more bioavailable.

Plus most in ketosis eat a lot of plants. They limit there very starchy or very sugary plant foods, but I don't think there is anything nutritionally special about a potato or a banana compared to a red pepper or some berries.

I could just as easily say, do people really think sugar and flour are good for you but a salmon fillet or eggs is detrimental?
    • Keto does not accelerate weight loss when calories and protein are equal. Keto has a faster initial weight loss because of water and glycogen loss but not fat loss.

Yep. The only possible weight loss benefit is reduced hunger and cravings, and not everyone will experience that. Keto is just as good as any other diet.
    • A 25,000-person study presented at the European Society of Cardiology Congress in Munich suggested that people on the lowest-carb diets had the highest risk of dying from cancer, cardiovascular conditions, and all other causes.

That often has more to do with non-compliers than anything. Low fat has been encouraged for a long time. Those who eat high fat were often the ones who drank, smoked and did not exercise. Less educated. I've seen other studies that show opposite results. It needs to be looked at more.

Disagreement is cool. I appreciate a cordial discussion. Yes, studies often show contrary evidence. There are many more resources in terms of papers, research (and more coming), anecdotal evidence, etc. However, we all have the internet and have access to the information, so no need to go back and forth here.

I just see so many people that don't think or don't know why they hop onto the keto (or any diet) bandwagon. They just do it because it is the flavor of the day. The keto craze will pass... and come back around again in a decade...and pass again..

Thanks for the feedback.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    AreneeS22 wrote: »
    Hi all! So I’m 32, 5ft 3, and weigh 251 lbs..I have quite a bit to lose! I’m not too familiar with the KETO diet, but I’ve heard that it works really well to get the weight off. I’ve read some about it, but would like to know what daily calorie intake you have and what are some of your favorite KETO foods? Any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

Your calories to lose weight will be the same as if you were eating any other way. It's based on your height and weight and activity level and how many lbs you choose to lose per week. MFP can do that for you.

I don't do keto because I do really well eating a fair amount of carbs, but others find limiting their carbs makes it easier to stick to their calorie goal, so for them it can work well. It's all about satiaty and appetite, and that can be different person to person.

You might want to just log the foods you normally eat for a few days to get a feel for where the carbs are coming from in your diet and what the best way to reduce them would be. And some people find it easier to reduce the carbs slowly over time until they reach keto levels, whereas others are fine just diving right in.

There are Keto and LCHF groups here that may have extra resources for you. Good luck!

^^^ All of this...