Starting a health and fitness routine with a thin sister

Options
I live with my younger sister, who is tiny- a size 6/8 Aus. She's noticed she's started to 'soften' and expand a little, and so we've started going to the gym and exercising together. It's great for accountability, but when it comes to food, she scoffs at my calorie counting. She says she doesn't eat that much, but when I pointed out what she has been eating really adds up, she didn't listen.

For example, today she made a smoothie (worked out at 498 calories), with pancakes for breakfast. Then she had a six inch sub and two cookies for lunch, three full cream hot chocolates, half of another smoothie after the gym, and several cups of tea with sugar. Now she's sitting on her bed eating crunchy nut cereal. Usually she doesn't eat quite so much, but she grazes and isn't aware of how calorie dense some things can be. I'm worried she's not going to see the results she wants (abs, a sculpted bottom) and she'll give up. How can I help her realise diet matters?

Or should I just leave it alone and let results speak for themselves?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I live with my younger sister, who is tiny- a size 6/8 Aus. She's noticed she's started to 'soften' and expand a little, and so we've started going to the gym and exercising together. It's great for accountability, but when it comes to food, she scoffs at my calorie counting. She says she doesn't eat that much, but when I pointed out what she has been eating really adds up, she didn't listen.

For example, today she made a smoothie (worked out at 498 calories), with pancakes for breakfast. Then she had a six inch sub and two cookies for lunch, three full cream hot chocolates, half of another smoothie after the gym, and several cups of tea with sugar. Now she's sitting on her bed eating crunchy nut cereal. Usually she doesn't eat quite so much, but she grazes and isn't aware of how calorie dense some things can be. I'm worried she's not going to see the results she wants (abs, a sculpted bottom) and she'll give up. How can I help her realise diet matters?

would you like her to critique every mouthful of food that you eat?
  • danielleedwards018
    danielleedwards018 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

No, but when we’re both trying to stick to a healthy routine, I’d expect her to let me know if she thinks I’m doing something I shouldn’t be.

It was her pointing out my bad diet that helped start this, and when she said to me today that I’d had much more dairy than usual and asked if that was ok, I thanked her for making me think about it.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How can I help her realise diet matters?

You have told her about calories. Drop it and concentrate on yourself from now on. Let her figure out if she needs to change her diet to get the results she wants. If she comments on your diet feel free to tell her you are keeping track and don't need her food policing just like she didn't.

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Yes, leave it unless she specifically asks you. If she says something about what you're eating go with something along the line of "you do you and I'll so me"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No, but when we’re both trying to stick to a healthy routine, I’d expect her to let me know if she thinks I’m doing something I shouldn’t be.

It was her pointing out my bad diet that helped start this, and when she said to me today that I’d had much more dairy than usual and asked if that was ok, I thanked her for making me think about it.

if you have that relationship, then that's fine, but if i was you i'd keep my eyes on my own plate.

whats wrong with dairy, just out of interest?
  • danielleedwards018
    Options

if you have that relationship, then that's fine, but if i was you i'd keep my eyes on my own plate.

whats wrong with dairy, just out of interest?

Based on this thread, I think I will be, though we do have a very frank and open relationship generally.

Nothing as far as I’m aware, but I think she was just worried about major differences in what I’m eating.
  • AndThenIWoreIt
    AndThenIWoreIt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I’ve learned that, when we share our thoughts once (or maybe twice), it’s information. After that, it’s nagging.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to leave it and let her do her own thing until she kind of decides to ask you for advice herself. Focusing on yourself right now is the best thing that you can do
  • danielleedwards018
    Options
    I’ve learned that, when we share our thoughts once (or maybe twice), it’s information. After that, it’s nagging.

That’s good advice, thank you :)
  • danielleedwards018
    Options
    amyteacake wrote: »
    I think it's best to leave it and let her do her own thing until she kind of decides to ask you for advice herself. Focusing on yourself right now is the best thing that you can do

Thank you! That’s true.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options

Bolded worse than all her eating! >:)
  • fruitypoison
    fruitypoison Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It would be more productive if you would just worry about yourself. You can’t force someone to eat healthy and you’re going to lose your mind trying. If she asks then tell, but besides that, I would focus on you! Good luck!
  • danielleedwards018
    Options
    It would be more productive if you would just worry about yourself. You can’t force someone to eat healthy and you’re going to lose your mind trying. If she asks then tell, but besides that, I would focus on you! Good luck!

Thank you! That’s very good advice!