No sugar or sweetner bbq sauce recipes?

I've had success with a low(er) carb diet. We are having ribs tonight and my 100g carbs/day can't take store bought bbq sauce (18g in 2 tbsp!). Any recipes for some to make at home? I also don't like chemical sweetners sooo... I am not the biggest fan of sweet sauces so I think no sugar ones might be ok.

Replies

• CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Google Whole 30 BBQ Sauce, Whole 30 doesn't allow any sugar, honey or sugar substitutes. Not even Stevia. Found this, looks good.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    CJDaniel7 wrote: »
    Google Whole 30 BBQ Sauce, Whole 30 doesn't allow any sugar, honey or sugar substitutes. Not even Stevia. Found this, looks good.

Thank you so much! I didn't know anything about Whole 30. Keto would use sweetners and paleo would be honey so I didn't know what to turn to!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    A hidden gem I have discovered several months ago...only 2g carb/serving, 10kcals. A nice break from dijon mustard & hot sauce. Most Targets have them & also pretty common in commercial grocery store chains (might just take some searching among tons of other bbq sauces)
    i1oo0pzwmmkh.png

It looks like this has artificial sweetener (sucralose).
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    A hidden gem I have discovered several months ago...only 2g carb/serving, 10kcals. A nice break from dijon mustard & hot sauce. Most Targets have them & also pretty common in commercial grocery store chains (might just take some searching among tons of other bbq sauces). *There is nothing wrong with consuming realistic amounts artificial sweeteners (not going into this ridiculous debate...that's for the debate section)
    i1oo0pzwmmkh.png

I use that...
  • psychod787
    A hidden gem I have discovered several months ago...only 2g carb/serving, 10kcals. A nice break from dijon mustard & hot sauce. Most Targets have them & also pretty common in commercial grocery store chains (might just take some searching among tons of other bbq sauces)
    i1oo0pzwmmkh.png

Well, she asked for sugar free, OP, sucralose is not digestible by the body. The only sugar I am sure in this, is the onion and tomato sauce. No added sugars. Taste ... ummmm... ok... I mean, it's not sweet baby Ray's! Lol
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited October 2018

A hidden gem I have discovered several months ago...only 2g carb/serving, 10kcals. A nice break from dijon mustard & hot sauce. Most Targets have them & also pretty common in commercial grocery store chains (might just take some searching among tons of other bbq sauces). *There is nothing wrong with consuming realistic amounts artificial sweeteners (not going into this ridiculous debate...that's for the debate section)
    i1oo0pzwmmkh.png

Ooo going to air fry some wings and try it with this
  • janejellyroll
    psychod787 wrote: »
    i1oo0pzwmmkh.png

Well, she asked for sugar free, OP, sucralose is not digestible by the body. The only sugar I am sure in this, is the onion and tomato sauce. No added sugars. Taste ... ummmm... ok... I mean, it's not sweet baby Ray's! Lol

She also said she didn't care for "chemical sweeteners" (by which I assumed she meant artificial ones), that's why I brought it up.
  • psychod787
    i1oo0pzwmmkh.png

She also said she didn't care for "chemical sweeteners" (by which I assumed she meant artificial ones), that's why I brought it up.

Was not trying to be a d-bag. Just telling OP that if she wanted sugar free bbq sauce ,she was most likely going to get sucralose.
  • janejellyroll
    i1oo0pzwmmkh.png

Was not trying to be a d-bag. Just telling OP that if she wanted sugar free bbq sauce ,she was most likely going to get sucralose.

I didn't think you were being a d-bag, no worries.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2018
    @terrie_k Let us know what you did and how it turned out!
    I suspect the suggestion of a dry rub was the best bet, as I think @psychod787 was correct that for it to be BBQ sauce it would have to either have sugar or artificial sweetener. Though he didn't have to be such a d-bag about it :lol::wink: :wink:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Right, I think I'd skip it too and go rub.
  • psychod787
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @terrie_k Let us know what you did and how it turned out!
    I suspect the suggestion of a dry rub was the best bet, as I think @psychod787 was correct that for it to be BBQ sauce it would have to either have sugar or artificial sweetener. Though he didn't have to be such a d-bag about it :lol::wink: :wink:

Thanks....😐 as we say in my family.. " love you too!"
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Use Carolina style BBQ sauce made from vinegar or a dry rub. There is no reason to use that ketchup and molasses stuff.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited October 2018
    I prefer ribs with dry rub vs. sauce, but ALL the rub recipes we've tried have sugar to some extent, too. It seems integral to the caramelizing process that forms "bark." Has anyone tried a rub recipe without it? Would be interested to try it.

Also, I've done the North Carolina hot vinegar thing on pulled pork but never on ribs. I'm intrigued. Have you had it with ribs?

ETA: for clarification, we do ribs in a smoker vs. a pan in the oven.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    edited October 2018
    I unsuccessfully tried mixing some things together. Tomato paste (one i use is fairly low in carbs), mustard, soya sauce, spices.. I missed the sweetness and it mostly tasted like mustard. I suggested to my husband next time to try a rub. I did see some with unsweetened apple sauce which interests me. The carbs aren't super crazy in it.i never used to use bbq sauce on meats but ribs just seems weird just plain.
    And I don't keep the artificial sweetners in my house and just never wanted to ever buy them. One day I might have to give in but I'm trying hard not to.