Breastfeeding

Should I account for the calories lost due to breastfeeding? My calorie goal is 1480 to lose 1lb a week. Stats: CW 150 Goal: 140

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-calories-fluids/

"Per Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (Riordan, 2004, p. 438), “The amount of energy needed by lactating mothers continues to be debated. The lactating mother need not maintain a markedly higher caloric intake than that maintained prior to pregnancy: in most cases, 400-500 calories in excess of that which is needed to maintain the mother’s body weight is sufficient.” "
  • Liftinglex
    Liftinglex Posts: 49 Member
    https://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-calories-fluids/

"Per Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (Riordan, 2004, p. 438), “The amount of energy needed by lactating mothers continues to be debated. The lactating mother need not maintain a markedly higher caloric intake than that maintained prior to pregnancy: in most cases, 400-500 calories in excess of that which is needed to maintain the mother’s body weight is sufficient.” "

So my daily calories be 1880?
    Thanks !
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Almost every woman has a different experience losing weight (or not) with breastfeeding... you'll kinda have to see what works for you. You might be able to lose weight somewhat quickly and easily with just breastfeeding, but you might struggle to lose any weight at all until your baby is older and needs less milk or stops breastfeeding altogether. I could not lose any weight while breastfeeding if I increased my calories to account for additional calories burned, even though I work out 6 days per week, and it was very hard for me to lose weight even after I reduced my calories. However, when I reduced my calories to a certain extent it negatively affected my milk production. I've been breastfeeding for almost two years now and have VERY slowly lost weight, but it was definitely frustrating to think that I wouldn't be able to lose weight while I was breastfeeding. After the initial weight loss in the week after delivery I only had about 15 lbs left to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and it's taken me almost two years to lose just 10 lbs. You'll really have to see what works for you and how your body and hormones respond to higher or lower calories.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Yes, you should account for calories lost due to breastfeeding. Your body uses ~20 calories per ounce of breast milk. How I recommend setting your calories would be to set your goal to maintain your current weight or your goal weight. Set that as your calorie goal. Let the calories used for breastfeeding create your calorie deficit. Eating too little could lower your milk supply. Also, make sure you drink plenty of water.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    lactation consultants are generally paid for by health ins coverage. they are a fantastic resource!
  • Liftinglex
    Almost every woman has a different experience losing weight (or not) with breastfeeding... you'll kinda have to see what works for you. You might be able to lose weight somewhat quickly and easily with just breastfeeding, but you might struggle to lose any weight at all until your baby is older and needs less milk or stops breastfeeding altogether. I could not lose any weight while breastfeeding if I increased my calories to account for additional calories burned, even though I work out 6 days per week, and it was very hard for me to lose weight even after I reduced my calories. However, when I reduced my calories to a certain extent it negatively affected my milk production. I've been breastfeeding for almost two years now and have VERY slowly lost weight, but it was definitely frustrating to think that I wouldn't be able to lose weight while I was breastfeeding. After the initial weight loss in the week after delivery I only had about 15 lbs left to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and it's taken me almost two years to lose just 10 lbs. You'll really have to see what works for you and how your body and hormones respond to higher or lower calories.

Thank you yes I hear mixed reviews either breast-feeding helps lose weight or it slows it down I am almost 16 weeks postpartum and I have 10 more pounds total till goal so I’m kind a like in the same scenario as you but I’ve barely started tracking calories on Monday but I’ve been working out consistently since six weeks postpartum so I’m not sure if it’s breast-feeding or working out that’s contributed to my weight loss but like you said I guess I’ll play around with the calories so far my milk has not been affected but like I said I barely started counting calories on Monday
    (Yesterday)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I found with breastfeeding, my hunger cues were ridiculous. I felt lightheaded and figuratively exhausted unless I was eating something constantly.
    I tried to log and get a small deficit to lose weight but I was so hungry I would end up in a binge and wipe my small deficit out.
    I'm done breastfeeding now and my hunger cues are back to normal.
  • Liftinglex
    I found with breastfeeding, my hunger cues were ridiculous. I felt lightheaded and figuratively exhausted unless I was eating something constantly.
    I tried to log and get a small deficit to lose weight but I was so hungry I would end up in a binge and wipe my small deficit out.
    I'm done breastfeeding now and my hunger cues are back to normal.

Did you have trouble loosing weight then ? Thank you for ur input!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    My son's nearly 3. The first year I could not stay in a deficit for all the tea in China
    I'm losing now just rather slowly

I wouldn't change a thing though, my son needs the milk. He was born at 25 weeks and still has lung disease