Push-Up Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It's something you have to build up to. 6 months ago I couldn't even do one "man's" push-up and my arms shook so bad doing even the "womans" knees & feet planted on the ground version I could barely get through 5!

Now, I can do more "men's" push-ups than my Hubby (he was on his knees last time we did push-ups!) and I don't shake anymore. Granted, if I'm doing a lot of push-ups in a routine or an especially difficult circuit training routine, I may stick with "woman's" push-ups since I have shoulder damage, but I can still feel the burn (especially if I lift my feet off the ground so I'm balancing & using more core). You can also try starting out by elevating your legs on a step or low table (knees to feet supported) and upper body leaning down at an angle. This may help you start to build it up.

Keep in mind, when you workout at a gym with different machines, free weights, etc., you're targeting different muscle groups and sometimes only 1 muscle at a time; push-ups, pull-ups and the like are COMPLETELY different from those isolated muscles groups because you're working several or full body muscles together which also takes good core, agility & balance. Again, this is something to build up to, slowly. Circuit training is great for getting that all-over body strength (I highly recommend Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones as she incorporates so many different circuits that hit EVERYTHING in your body in 40 minutes: I don't particularly like her, but I do like her workouts!)
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I will impart you with the wisdom that was once past on to me in my early military career. "You get better at doing pushups by doing pushups." Silly I know, but true. That being said what I have done in order to improve mine is to do alot of modifications ie: inclined pushups (find a set of stairs and with your feet on the ground, closest to the stairs, push up from the stairs, as you get stronger move your feet out and move one step lower until you can do them on the ground), high and low plank to improve your core, "girly" pushups or spread your legs apart for wide leg pushups, press downs (in the pushup position slowly lower yourself all the way down to the ground then in whatever way you can get back up to your initial position). As you get better you may also be able to do low-high plank (start in a high plank position then moving one arm at a time, without moving your legs, lower yourself into the low plank position then do the reverse to get back up again). If you need anymore let me know, after 8 years in the military I have about 100 different pushup type exercises in my repetoire.
  • Elleebell
    Options
    Ugh. Push ups. I did ten last night after the treadmill and thought I was gonna die.
  • dbra58
    dbra58 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here's a great site with lots of info about pushups...I did the standing ones in the past, after a shoulder injury. I can do a few of the "wimpy" ones now, and am working on it.
    http://hundredpushups.com
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Weight machines would definitely help. You could also start out doing them against the wall (standing up with your feet back a bit). Then move to the modified (on your knees or against a table/desk/chair) and work up to regular hard core pushups.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I have issues too...but I think its practice makes perfect...just keep trying with the wimpy ones until you can do the "on your knees" version and then move on to the Big Girl Push ups! You can do it!

This! KEEP PUSHING! You can start with wall push-ups, then knee girly ones, etc etc. I started without being able to do 1!! I can now do 10 real ones! :) You can do it! Stay focused! Do one more each day!
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My trainer and I have been doing a Push-Up Project. At first she had me do 3 sets of 12 push-ups on my knees. I sucked at this, she told me try going down a half an inch and doing the reps of that. I did then for 2 weeks and found I was going down almost 2 inches. Kept going 3 sets of 12, 5 days a week in a month I was going down around 6 inches (acceptable). Now she has me lean on a bar while standing and going as low as I can 3 sets of 12, 5 days a week. She says when I do better we will do what we did while on my knees in proper form. It felt like I was beating my head against the wall the first 3 weeks but I am doing much better.
  • mpeace1406
    mpeace1406 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks everyone for the awesome replies and tips!! I am glad to see I am not alone at sucking at push-ups, but it is encouraging to know that one day I may actually succeed at doing the "real" ones. :D I am going to look into the 100 push-ups website as well as just keeping on practicing. Thanks again everyone and keep those tips coming!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_DevelopingPushup.mov

Nice demo on improving your pushup form!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Start off doing push ups on a wall or use the bar of the smith machine and set it about waist high. The idea is to gradually lower yourself towards the floor until you can do push ups

This exactly! The smith machine trick is working great for me.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    you get better at them by just doing them. :-) when i first started I had a hard time doing the girl ones on my knees. Now I can do about 20 REAL pushups....combination of classes and my trainer just making me do them and chest/back exercises :-)
  • Retro90
    Retro90 Posts: 1
    Options
    Well, i'm a man and ill admit I had a hard time doing push ups myself. As with any exercise i've learned just practice practice practice! Don't hurt yourself and be patient! I started out doing just one at a time then I worked up to 3 at a time then 5 and then 10 and now my regular is 25 push ups a day! The more you do it (as aggravating as it may seem at first) the better you'll get its the same with me for jump rope now. I just started a month or two ago and I had a hard time jumping 10 non-stop. Now im jumping for 5 mins and doing skips and criss-crosses!! Best of luck to ya :-)

10319490.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • afmyrick
    Options
    It is something you have to build up to. Pushups is not just upper body strength but you also have to work on your core. The ones on your knees are easier than using your toes because using your toes mean you have to engage your core more. That means keeping your back straight and not putting your butt in the air or having a dip in your back.

There is an alternate way of doing them on your knees to help strengthen up your arms. Get on all fours and using just your arms, go down in a pushup. You will just be using your arms but in a sort of rocking motion. Try and go all the way down to the floor using only your arms to push your weight up. You will feel it in your shoulders and arms.

Once you feel stronger, move to the next type. Stay on your knees but straighten the body out. Tighten your stomach (but breath) this will engage your core. Make sure you don't have a dip in your back and your butt isn't in the air. Go down into the pushup where your chest is almost touching the floor and don't look at the ground, look in front of you. Breathing correctly helps you tremendously so don't hold your breath. I breath out on the way down and breath in on the way up. Control it. It's okay if you can't do more than a couple but when you feel you've did your last, push out one more. Start off with about 5 in the morning and before you go to bed. Before you know it you will be a pro at this style and ready to move onto the next, doing them on your toes.

Again, you need to engage (tighten your abs) your core. Get into a plank position (butt down, no dip in back) and go down into the pushup. If you feel pressure in your lower back, you have a dip, lift your butt a little more until the pressure goes away. If you don't feel some tightness in your abs a little then your butt is too high. Lower your butt until you can feel a little pressure in your abs.

All in all practice makes perfect. Work on your core (doing full body exercises such as planks, burpees, etc). A strong core makes pushups a bit easier.

Hope this helps.

Angela
  • Pavvy6769
    Pavvy6769 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I actually started doing yoga, which was hard at first but after two months I noticed my upper body was a little bit stronger. Then I just started doing push ups. 10 here, 8 there, next thing I know I can do 45 regular push ups.
  • dshale
    dshale Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Start off doing push-ups by pushing off against a wall, counter top,etc. three days a week. You should build up the strength to do the "knee" push-ups soon and regular push-ups after that.