What did you do with clothes that are now too large for you?

Replies

• 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Keeping in case I get pregnant
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I actually went into Goodwill at donation time and got a $150 pair of jeans for $8

I picked up a pair of those "Not Your Daughter's Jeans", which I believe sell for some ridiculous price new, for $2 on clearance in the thrift store! They're my new goal jeans - I can get them done up but they're too tight to actually wear, so it gives me something to work towards now I'm on the last few pounds. :)

Thrift/charity shops are amazing. Yes there's some junk that people really shouldn't be donating, but there are some fabulous finds too. And it gives me the chance to experiment with looks I'd normally be cautious about, because I'm not wasting a lot of money.

I'm eternally grateful to the local ladies in my town who donate good clothing and shoes! So if anyone is in doubt, please go ahead and donate your unwanted things and let someone else have the benefit and pleasure of wearing them. :)
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Donate! I keep a sharpie near the laundry and put a small mark on the tag when stuff gets too big. Then when I’m folding the laundry, the marked clothes go into a box. When the box is full, off to goodwill. I have some too big jammies and t shirts for lazing about.
  • shan_reg
    shan_reg Posts: 80 Member
    Goodwill.....no need to keep them. Won’t be needing them....EVER!
  • ejg1010
    ejg1010 Posts: 48 Member
    With the exception of the odd sentimental item I have donated most of the clothes that are too big for me to charity shops. I've enjoyed gradually buying a new wardrobe and (with the best will in the world!) don't intend to go up a size in the near future. I haven't had children yet and so one day I'll need larger clothes for a while, but if I ever put any weight back on my style/fashion may well have changed anyway. If I get through the same season twice and haven't worn something I try to be ruthless and donate it as I'm likely never going to wear it again, even if it fits me!
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Donate them. Don't give yourself an excuse to gain any weight back.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    The ones I loved I altered myself. The ones I didn't I donated. I looked SO much better in thin clothes. And it's a commitment. Six years and no regrets.
  • Littlerobystar
    Littlerobystar Posts: 14 Member
    I have sadly a lot of smaller dresses that I used to buy for "when I will be slim". Well I grew fatter and fatter from a size 16 to 22 no 18/20 UK size. So I am selling all small dresses on EBAY. When I will have lost 25 kgs, I will buy some new clothes but for now I am not going to keep those dresses in my wardrobe. With larger clothes I bring them to charity tho.
  • jackiedruga
    jackiedruga Posts: 18 Member
    I have given my nicer clothes to my daughter, but my graphic tees, I kept. Plus, there's one pair of jeans, that are so worn and comfortable, now exceptionally big, and I love to wear them. I love baggy clothes and when I had the weight, nothing was ever baggy. I just tighten the belt. Although my son keeps yelling at me to get a new belt because too much of the belt is dangling down because I have to pull it in so far.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    I passed on some to my sister in law, who is starting her weight loss from the same size I was, and the rest I donated to a certain size. The clothes that are 1-2 sizes up from where I am now, I am keeping. I tend to have large weight fluctuations. And while I don't plan on that ever happening again, I would rather not have to buy larger clothes if it does.
    I did keep most of my smaller clothes, which was super helpful when I lost all the weight.
  • LeGypsyRov
    LeGypsyRov Posts: 36 Member
    Most I send to my SIL who is larger than I. I do keep one pair of jeans that are too large, and my large t-shirts and sweatshirts. Mostly I tend to wear either workout clothes or palazzo/yoga pants which can go a few sizes. My dresses tend to be loose and flowing by choice.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Hey @teresamwhite do you happen to know if most nursing homes take items, or are you allowed because you work there? I love that idea and want to do the same.