Want to try Keto diet

Options
Hello I’m 265lb guy 23yr about 5”7 I want to try keto diet. I haven’t did much reasearch on besides look at forums and stuff. I’m not doing good with logging my food in as much, some days I just binge and forget which I’m trying to break. I figured the keto diet would put me on a structured plan something I could follow maybe it will keep me in track. Any way I was wondering where do I go to start the Keto diet and how much would it be. I believe I was on the site before that said a 28 day program not sure if it was the right site tho. So anyone that’s currently on keto preferably around my age or anyone else trying please explain what all I have to do and how is the diet.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
  • ashley13ar4561
    ashley13ar4561 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can add me I’ve been doing keto for two months now and I always post my food public
  • dariusshaw
    dariusshaw Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How to add Ashely I’m using app
  • dariusshaw
    Options
    dariusshaw wrote: »
    How to add Ashely I’m using app
    never mind I just figured out lol

• Burton_Bmc
    Burton_Bmc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Darius, I follow the Keto lifestyle, It made me lose weight, got me more stamina due to my addiction to run, overall I am a more happy person. Though, if you follow Keto, you need to log also, and binging is over. First, you need to get rid of all what is "bad" in your cupboard and buy the healthy ingredients which you allow to make the most delicious meal. If you google recipes keto, numerous sites will pop-up. Adding movement like walk to your lifestyle, and you will shed the unwanted fat like crazy. I never was a big guy, my heaviest I was 219 pounds for a 6"3 guy., at the moment I am still 6"3 and 163 pounds. My friends call me scrawny :) Feel free to ask for advice, good luck.
  • wellnessnowemf
    wellnessnowemf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love keto! Down 30lbs so far. @Burton_Bmc is totally correct ... and besides after the first couple weeks you wont want to binge anyway. The cravings go away! I learned by books, your tube... Dr. Berry, Dr Fung, Dr Berg, Shawn Mynar (podcast) ... so many resources out there that are legit....
  • dariusshaw
    Options
    Burton_Bmc wrote: »
    Hi Darius, I follow the Keto lifestyle, It made me lose weight, got me more stamina due to my addiction to run, overall I am a more happy person. Though, if you follow Keto, you need to log also, and binging is over. First, you need to get rid of all what is "bad" in your cupboard and buy the healthy ingredients which you allow to make the most delicious meal. If you google recipes keto, numerous sites will pop-up. Adding movement like walk to your lifestyle, and you will shed the unwanted fat like crazy. I never was a big guy, my heaviest I was 219 pounds for a 6"3 guy., at the moment I am still 6"3 and 163 pounds. My friends call me scrawny :) Feel free to ask for advice, good luck.

Oh I thought keto diet was something I had to buy like a program or something. So I just google keto recipes and that’s it ?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Oh I thought keto diet was something I had to buy like a program or something. So I just google keto recipes and that’s it ?

No, keto is about your macro distribution. You would keep your carbs below a certain number. I don't do keto, so I don't want to give you an incorrect number. Join that Low Carber group linked above and they should have more specific info in there. Keto is a way of eating, that for some people makes it easier for them to stick to their calorie goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

It's just a super low carb very high fat diet...you don't have to buy anything except food.
  • jessdaytonxo
    jessdaytonxo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I’m 21 and I have been on Keto for a little over 3 months now. Coming from someone who over portioned food her whole life and loves sweets im 41lbs down so far and keto has been one of the only diets I actually enjoy sticking to and following. It helps a lot because it makes it clear pretty much what you can and can’t eat, which helps prevent me from digging into the wrong food and leading to any binges. Its great for jumpstarting weight loss and leaning out your body. My advice is to do research on what foods you can and cannot have along with some recipes before jumping in to avoid any confusion or frustration, because the first week or two of the diet may result in “keto flu”, causing fatigue and irriatability. Once you get through it your body will be transitioned into ketosis and you’ll start feeling great. If youre like me you’ll get to the point where theres no desire to cheat or binge. A simple google search of “keto foods” will bring up charts that pretty much show you whats ideal for every category in the food pryamid. There’s plenty of keto options or substitutes for a lot of foods that make it seem like its not even a diet or that its too good to be true haha. I went into the keto diet cold turkey and made the strict changes overnight, along with including intermittent fasting (an eating window of 12pm-7pm). I would advise to start with keto and if desired, to begin the intermittent fasting about 2 weeks into the diet to make a healthier transition. Wishing you the best on your journey!
  • jessdaytonxo
    jessdaytonxo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Also there is no membership or place to buy a form of the diet. Thats a good thing because in my opinion most places or diets that require payment through subscription or someone to buy the meals from a company aren’t sustainable or good for any long term goals unless someone is extremely educated on what theyre doing. If theyre unaware of the nutritional facts behind everything theyre consuming and knowing why things are or arent good for them, they wont be able to maintain the weight loss without having to stick to that “payment plan” forever.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You don't have to buy a program or hire a coach if you think you can do it will forum support. There are groups here that support keto and larger more active keto forums elsewhere (PM me and I'll point you that way). There are also several podcasts on the topic (my favorite ones are 2 Keto Dudes, Ketovangelist, Keto Talk with Jimmy Moore and Dr Will Cole). There are several books on the topic as well. I can give you some titles if you're wanting to deep dive.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    • Read the Reddit/keto FAQ. Free and easy.
    • Join the Low Carber group posted upthread. We have FAQs. Also free and easy. :)

There are a bazillion and one keto recipes in varying levels of complexity available free online. Or you can just eat meat, dairy, and some veggies (to your carb limit). Of course you must log it which/whatever it is because calories ALWAYS matter.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Atkins is probably the easiest plan to find. His phase 1/Induction is ketogenic. Phase 2 is more low carb high fat but can still be keto depending on what foods you eat.

Keto is usually under 20-50g of carbs which is often 5-10% of your macros. That's the main thing. Good luck.