How hungry is “good” hungry?

Options
I’m 5’4” 135 lbs and looking to lose about 15-20 lbs. MFP has me on 1200 cals a day to start with. I take a 50 minute indoor cycling class 3x a week and walk upwards of 15 miles a day (6 miles to school, about 3 miles stop and go while at school, and 6 miles back home). I end some (3-5/ week) days with an hour of hip hop dance practice. After logging the fitness class (under “general indoor cycling”) and dancing, and after MFP’s step calorie adjustment from my Apple health app, I get up to 1400-1600 calories a day. Does that sound right? Just wondering because I’ve been starving at all points during the day (I eat salads, eggs, chicken, all sorts of soup) and I’m not sure if it’s normal and I just need to get used to feeling hungry or if maybe my caloric intake is too low. I’m at the point where I can’t sleep because I’m so hungry at night. Last night, I did end up falling asleep, but when I woke up this morning I was so hungry and tired that without any sort of self control I just devoured this whole plate of pasta my sister brought home for me the night before (at 700 calories that was half of my allowed intake by 5 am). I feel like it shouldn’t feel this hard, but I also feel like maybe I’m just being a little *kitten* that can’t handle a few hunger pangs. People are always saying to just “listen to your body” but after the month long binge that made me gain the weight I’m trying to lose, I’m just not sure I can trust my body’s signals anymore. I just feel so lost and confused I think and if it’s going to be this hard I don’t know if I have what it takes to keep going.
Help?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What did you set as your goal weight loss per week?

How long have you been eating 1,400-1,600 calories a day?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,950 Member
    Options
    Change your weight loss per week to 0.5 lbs, your activity setting to active, and eat back your exercise calories.

^^This.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    How much weight have you lost and in what time frame? if it were me I'd up your calories by another couple hundred and see how that goes. Not gonna lie that doesn't sound like enough food for someone as active as you are.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    co0211 wrote: »
    I’m 5’4” 135 lbs and looking to lose about 15-20 lbs. MFP has me on 1200 cals a day to start with. I take a 50 minute indoor cycling class 3x a week and walk upwards of 15 miles a day (6 miles to school, about 3 miles stop and go while at school, and 6 miles back home). I end some (3-5/ week) days with an hour of hip hop dance practice. After logging the fitness class (under “general indoor cycling”) and dancing, and after MFP’s step calorie adjustment from my Apple health app, I get up to 1400-1600 calories a day. Does that sound right? Just wondering because I’ve been starving at all points during the day (I eat salads, eggs, chicken, all sorts of soup) and I’m not sure if it’s normal and I just need to get used to feeling hungry or if maybe my caloric intake is too low. I’m at the point where I can’t sleep because I’m so hungry at night. Last night, I did end up falling asleep, but when I woke up this morning I was so hungry and tired that without any sort of self control I just devoured this whole plate of pasta my sister brought home for me the night before (at 700 calories that was half of my allowed intake by 5 am). I feel like it shouldn’t feel this hard, but I also feel like maybe I’m just being a little *kitten* that can’t handle a few hunger pangs. People are always saying to just “listen to your body” but after the month long binge that made me gain the weight I’m trying to lose, I’m just not sure I can trust my body’s signals anymore. I just feel so lost and confused I think and if it’s going to be this hard I don’t know if I have what it takes to keep going.
    Help?

With your stats, you are already a healthy weight, so your rate of loss will be slow. If you chose an aggressive weekly rate of loss, change it. Having said that, I am 5'4 and started at 145, and I ate 1500-1600 cals per day to lose 0.5lbs per week. You sound a bit more active than I am though, so your cals might be a bit low. You are doing a lot of exercise which can put stress on your body, is it possible you are overdoing that?

How is your daily protein, fat, and fiber? Some combo of one or more of those three things is typically filling, so make sure none of them are consistently low.

My suggestion would be first make sure your weekly goal isn't too aggressive and your activity level is correct. I'll bet you get at least a few more calories. Then look at your macros and see if you are shorting any of them. You could also try easing into your deficit... Say eat 1800 for a week, then 1700 next week, then 1600 the week after.

If you just started out, it might take a week or two to get used to the reduced calories. Try to be patient with yourself. It's a process, and unfortunately the vanity lbs can be the toughest. It took me a year to lose the last 10 lbs, simply because there were some days I just couldn't stick to the deficit. I don't say that to discourage you, just to let you know it's not just you, this can be difficult! Best of luck :smiley:
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    With all that walking id be making sure your activity level is set to very active and weekly deficit is set to 0.5lbs per week. Youre not doing it right if your that hungry.
    Im smaller than you only 5ft1 and 115lbs and eating about 1800-1900 average lately and still loosing weight! Dont starve yourself, its not a race!
    Sounds like you need to do some strength training too as you are already fairly light for your height, trust me, it will change the shape of your body for the better!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I only get hungry prior to meals (I eat 3-4 full meals and no snacks) but I never go for huge deficits. I go for 0.5lbs loss rate if any. I'm 137lbs. So I eat 1600cals on days I exercise and I eat at maintanance (1500) on completely sedentiary days.
    I can't sleep unless I'm full either so I either eat my dinner close to bedtime or have a forth meal just before bed.

So like the above advice - see if you can lower your loss rate to 0.5lbs per week. (well I don't even know what "see if you can lower" means lol, just do it)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    OP: IMO, no hungry is "good" hungry. It's not a sign of virtuous self-deprivation, determination, or discipline.

Slightly hungry before meals is "OK" hungry, because that's how things are supposed to work: You get hungry, you eat.

If I get hungry and it's not near mealtime, I eat a small snack that I personally find satiating. IME, it's a bad plan to let myself feel ultra hungry, because I'm more likely to Eat All The Things.

When you start out, it may take a week or two to adapt to lower calories, but if your deficit is sensible (not too agressive) many people find that things do settle down. If they don't for you, experiment with what you eat and when you eat it, to try to find better satiation.

Be sure you're distinguishing hunger from boredom, stress, or habit. If a distracting activity makes the hunger disappear, it was boredom. If you find yourself hungry in very specific situations or when doing certain activities, it's probably habit.

Beyond that, I agree with those who say that, especially with your activity level, you're probably eating too little. 1200 net was way too low for me, when I tried it at 150-some pounds, 5'5", age 59, sedentary outside of intentional exercise (that I ate back). I got fatigued and weak; it took weeks to recover, even though I ate more as soon as I realized I was losing too fast. Don't do that! :)

I also agree with those suggesting you consider recomposition. I can't post the link from my phone, but there's a great thread about it in the "Most Helpful Posts" section of the Maintaining Weight section of the forums.

Best wishes!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    co0211 wrote: »
    Help?

With how active you seem to be does the Apple Watch give you an additional 1400-1600 calories to eat extra per days on top of the 1,200 you're currently at?

Do you have it selected to lose two pounds per week? If so lower it to 0.5-1 pound per week since you're already close to your goal weight?