Losing but not seeing changes

Options
Hello everyone, I’ve lost 43 pounds so far. I went from 327 to 284. I am a woman, 23, 5’8. I’ve been bigger all my life but 327 was my highest weight. I’m just wondering if anyone else struggles with not seeing or feeling a difference. I still feel like I am my highest weight. I don’t see a difference in my appearance and Normally I don’t feel different, sometimes I have more energy but only a few days out the week. This weight loss has taken me about 7 months to achieve after going back and forth and finally finding a lifestyle that works for me. So for about 5 months I stayed around 300 pounds. Within the past 2 months I’ve gotten down to the 284 that i am now. Could anyone share their own stories and maybe their opinion or insight on my own? Thank you all

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    take pictures monthly to track progress
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Taking pictures may help you see the difference or take some measurements of waist, hips, arms, etc. Are your clothes fitting better?
  • chelseyq7
    chelseyq7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I saw that someone else recently shared the idea of the "Paper Towel Effect" essentially that when you are bigger it takes longer to see the loss, but as you lose weight every lb has a great impact... I started at 290 and am down nearly 35lbs and am just now feeling that I can notice a slight change - more in how clothes fit, etc. Keep with it and give yourself plenty of time - that's great progress already!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    lifting weights will give us a transformative look
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ebourg8299 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I’ve lost 43 pounds so far. I went from 327 to 284. I am a woman, 23, 5’8. I’ve been bigger all my life but 327 was my highest weight. I’m just wondering if anyone else struggles with not seeing or feeling a difference. I still feel like I am my highest weight. I don’t see a difference in my appearance and Normally I don’t feel different, sometimes I have more energy but only a few days out the week. This weight loss has taken me about 7 months to achieve after going back and forth and finally finding a lifestyle that works for me. So for about 5 months I stayed around 300 pounds. Within the past 2 months I’ve gotten down to the 284 that i am now. Could anyone share their own stories and maybe their opinion or insight on my own? Thank you all

Yes, it IS frustrating. Basically, changes tend to come with percentages of weight lost more than actual pounds. When I was my heaviest (close to where you were), I needed to lose 30+ lb to feel a difference in my clothing. Closer to goal, it was more like 10-15 lb. At or below goal 10 lb. made a big difference.

For those suggesting taking pictures: that is the problem at weights like the OP and where I used to be . . . there WAS no noticeable difference to take a photo of. Take heart OP, eventually there will be. Suddenly you realize that your pull-on shorts are just hanging on the hips instead of around the waist or that you are bouncing around in your bra instead of spilling over the top.

In the meantime, use the scale rather than clothing as your main indicator of progress. It is exactly the opposite of what those with less to lose have to do. Eventually you will reach the point where the opposite starts happening.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I struggle to see difference as well. I’ve lost 25 lbs since my highest weight (190 to 165) and still don’t feel like it’s noticeable. Even looking at pictures I don’t know if I really see it.

But I just have to remind myself that even if I don’t see it that doesn’t mean it’s not happening. The numbers on the scale are going down, my measurements are getting smaller, my clothes are getting looser. So even if I can’t see it, all the signs say I’m going in the right direction. I figure I will have to see it eventually so I’ll just keep going until I do because I know that day is coming.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have been told that people who have lost a lot of weight sometimes walk by a mirror / shop window, see themselves but have to take a double - take before they realize that it is really them, just with a different silhouette. Oh, I am so looking forward to that experience!
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    As far as how I felt about my body/form, progress photos were so helpful to me! There were a lot of times I felt there hadn't been any changes for weeks, but the monthly photos I took told a different story. Body measurements in inches can help, too.

If you're not feeling much improvement as far as energy levels and general feeling of wellness, perhaps it's time to take it to the next level. If you're not exercising yet, maybe it's time to add some daily walking or some other activity that you enjoy. Maybe evaluate the composition of your diet to see if adding or subtracting certain foods would be beneficial (e.g., I feel best when I have a lot of plant-based foods in my diet).

Maybe also log how you feel day to day with your diary to see if you can pinpoint any habits that add to or subtract from your energy levels.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Check with sizes not the scale.

Did you not read the OP? The scale is showing nice losses but the clothing isn't.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    You're not alone..there's a lot of ways of addressing this. First.. you need to embrace the tools of reality .. one is the scale, the tape measure, your clothes, and finally, a before photo. The scale doesn't always work as a gauge..that is why you need the other tools to reassure yourself that you're losing.

You need all these things to look at your progress logically..because the mind is often sees a skewed perception of what is going on during weight loss. There are at goal weight people on here who know they are at goal..but still see themselves as overweight.

The bottom line is the scale is not lying in your case. Don't let your mind's false perception of your progress discourage you..or make you quite. Eventually your mind will catch up with what's really going on.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Did you not read the OP? The scale is showing nice losses but the clothing isn't.

I just re-read the original post with my mouse, going word by word and no, she doesn't mention anything about clothing fit. She said she doesn't see a difference in her body. I think it's more a perceived body image thing.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I will agree that it's a good idea to take your measurements weekly. This can be an eyeopener over time. When you hit a stall, you can see your progress on the tape measure. It keeps you going. Keep a journal of your measurements. Good luck.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »

I just re-read the original post with my mouse, going word by word and no, she doesn't mention anything about clothing fit. She said she doesn't see a difference in her body. I think it's more a perceived body image thing.

To quote the OP "I’m just wondering if anyone else struggles with not seeing or feeling a difference" Having been where she is, it is not that unusual to lose a lot on the scale and not see it in either the clothing or the body itself. No, she did not specify clothing, but that is the inference since that is where you first see and feel changes.

Perhaps OP will come back and clarify for us. Each of us is looking at her situation through the lens of our own experience.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I will agree that it's a good idea to take your measurements weekly. This can be an eyeopener over time. When you hit a stall, you can see your progress on the tape measure. It keeps you going. Keep a journal of your measurements. Good luck.

For those with a lot to lose, weekly measurements tend to be counterproductive since the changes happen very slowly. Until I lost my first 100 lb. I did monthly measurements.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,593 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone wearing plus size clothes, it takes a long time to need to change clothing sizes partly because the gap between (for example) women's size 24 and size 22 is much larger in terms of pounds than the gap between sizes 8 and 6. I have been working on weight loss all year and am down over 50 pounds, but it took a long time to get into smaller pants. Keep doing what you are doing, and the smaller clothes will come!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Changes in your body with weight loss are slow and subtle...you look at yourself everyday, so you're not likely to really notice so you always look the same to yourself...this is where progress photos come in handy. Also, "problem areas" tend to be what we look at and focus on and unfortunately, those problem areas are usually the last to go.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    First of all you are on a fantastic path of success!

What I noted during my loss is that I would either see the loss on the scale or in tape measure, but not both. I also didn't notice much change in the mirror or really feel different. I lost the majority of my weight 3 years ago and essentially at maintenance since then and now I notice difference, but it's more about body composition.

I did notice a great difference in working out and running. With every 10 lbs I really noticed how much easier it was to run, climb stairs, etc.

I also noted that hitting performance goals were more meaningful to me than hitting weight goals. Sure these were a boost, but more along the lines of a small goal serving a larger goal.

Keep up the great work!
  • jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Changes in your body with weight loss are slow and subtle...you look at yourself everyday, so you're not likely to really notice so you always look the same to yourself...this is where progress photos come in handy. Also, "problem areas" tend to be what we look at and focus on and unfortunately, those problem areas are usually the last to go.

I was thinking this as well. And also, everyone carries their weight differently. You may not see it yet, but changes are happening...try not to get discouraged You've lost over 40 pounds! :smiley:
    Great work!
  • ebourg8299
    ebourg8299 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

To quote the OP "I’m just wondering if anyone else struggles with not seeing or feeling a difference" Having been where she is, it is not that unusual to lose a lot on the scale and not see it in either the clothing or the body itself. No, she did not specify clothing, but that is the inference since that is where you first see and feel changes.

Perhaps OP will come back and clarify for us. Each of us is looking at her situation through the lens of our own experience.

Sorry for not much clarification on this. My s/o has told me that my clothes are starting to look baggy but personally, in my own eyes, I don’t see it. I still wear most of the same clothes I had when I was 327. I’ve had anxiety about shopping since I’ve been bigger for a while, but I might go try on size smaller clothes just to see, maybe that will help me. In my OP I was mainly talking about my physical appearance in general, but you’re right clothes go hand in hand with that.