Just started properly working out, now I'm breaking out?

Options
Hi all,

I've only recently started properly working out; building up a proper sweat six times a week. I've also started drinking a lot more water. I've noticed that my skin has started to become a little bumpy and itchy, which is very irritating. I wash my face and neck before leaving the gym to rinse away the sweat, and I never exercise in makeup.

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, did your skin calm down after a while? I'm coming from a very unhealthy diet and sedentary lifestyle, so I can I understand the shock my body must be going through.

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Happened to me years ago when I first started working out. Didn't take long for it to go away.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Extra sweat on the skin is a breeding ground for bacteria. Add some dead skin and/or open pores and you get zits, condones and acne.

Try to wash as soon as you can after exercising to remove sweat and excess sebum. Exfoliate regularly (but not so often that you are damaging your skin surface) to remove dead skin.

Use an oil free moisturiser (yes you should still be moisturising!).

If you still find you are flaring up, try using over the counter topical creams containing vitamin A and/or retinol.

If you are still having problems, see your PHC practitioner as they can prescribe extra stuff including creams, lotions and a variety of tablets.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Use a facial cleanser, not just rinsing. Try sensitive skin cleansers and moisturizers. It could also be a change in weather or diet.
  • danielleedwards018
    danielleedwards018 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It’s all really great advice. I use sensitive skin washes and moisturisers in the morning and at night when I get home from the gym (The one thing my mother managed to drum into my head is good skin care), and exfoliate twice weekly.

If it doesn’t clear up I’ll look into other products or trying retinol like @GrumpyHeadmistress suggested.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posters, but will also add that if it’s on your chest or back, that happens to me if I wear more cotton type shirts. I have to wear sweat wicking shirts to prevent it.
  • danielleedwards018
    Options
    I agree with above posters, but will also add that if it’s on your chest or back, that happens to me if I wear more cotton type shirts. I have to wear sweat wicking shirts to prevent it.

I wear a $10 hoodie from target- I don’t think it’s sweat wicking at all haha. I might have to invest in a few proper workout items.
  • danielleedwards018
    Options
    It’s on my chest and back too.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    Could it be heat rash?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It’s all really great advice. I use sensitive skin washes and moisturisers in the morning and at night when I get home from the gym (The one thing my mother managed to drum into my head is good skin care), and exfoliate twice weekly.

If it doesn’t clear up I’ll look into other products or trying retinol like @GrumpyHeadmistress suggested.

If it's beyond your face, it could be your laundry detergent. Even if you've been using it a long time. It is possible to develop new sensitivities. Before you start self-diagnosing and self-treating, consider seeing a dermatologist.