So many myths it’s exhausting.

Options
Okay so I have varios forums on the same topic but the days goes by and I get more confused. My trainer at the gym said if my goal is to lose weight I need to cut the weights and focus more on cardio. Others say I should lift heavy and do a little cardio. My goal is to lose weight and maintain muscle. I have fat to loose but my goal later on is to gain muscle and make gains. Where can I educate myself what can I do? I have like 4 years on my journey to lose weight and I always give up. So many of you have a lot of experience. Please help. I feel there will always be mixed comments and different information on this topic. AGH.

Replies

• JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You need to get rid of your trainer immediately and find one who understands your goals.

Losing weight is about calorie deficit. If you want to maintain muscle lift weights and reach your protein goals.

Losing weight starts in the kitchen. Log and be honest.

Yes, that is the main reason I lift weights I don’t want to lose weight and be skinny fat.
  • JanetReyna
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    From your posts you do seem to be actively seeking to make sometime simple more complicated - perhaps that's a subconscious searching for a justification for...
    "I have like 4 years on my journey to lose weight and I always give up"

(You aren't alone - I put off losing my excess weight for 20 years with a really silly excuse! Don't let searching for complication be your excuse.)

Losing weight is as simple and as boring as eating a bit less than you need to.
    To improve that slightly then the phrase "eat less, move more" adds in improving health/fitness and creating a positive habit.

• Eating a bit less than your needs is by far the biggest driver for creating a calorie deficit.
    • Strength training is the biggest driver for muscle retention.
    • Cardio is the biggest driver for CV health and fitness.

So do those three things consistently over an extended period and you will lose fat, retain muscle, improve health and fitness.

You could share this link with your trainer as their advice is poor for your stated goals but personally I think you need to simplify the process not complicate.
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html/

Okay so I think I’ve been doing this wrong all along then. I lift weights and do a cardio class in the afternoon. But that’s really all I do, I am not really active. Should I walk for an hour or more in the treadmill just to increase my daily steps? I am not active. I go to the gym in the mornings to lift and in the afternoon I attend a cardio class and that’s pretty much it.
  • JanetReyna
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I actually learned a lot from these forums, as well as reading lifting books, like Strong Curves and New Rules of Lifting for Women.

If you want to lose weight, you want to eat in a deficit #1, so less than you burn. Lifting (progressive over time) will help you maintain muscle as you lose fat (also good for health and strength), along with adequate protein. If you do not lift, you will lose fat and way more muscle than you would otherwise and have a softer appearance/higher bodyfat when you get to goal. I've done it both ways and my results from lifting vs not lifting were quite different.

You can add some cardio to that to help burn more calories add to that deficit (it is also good for health and fitness). But keep in mind too much cardio can start to affect lifting performance and recovery in many so you don't want to overdo it.

While some people can gain a bit of muscle in a deficit under certain circumstances, you will mostly be retaining what you have right now. So once you get closer to goal, and you feel like you don't have the muscle base you are happy with you can either eat at maintenance to recomp, or you can run bulk (surplus) cycles to put on weight to gain muscle.
    Always so much good advice and knowledge.

All along I’ve been thinking weights burn more calories than cardio oh myyyy🤦🏻‍♀️ Should I walk in the treadmill for an hour to increase my steps? I’m not an active person. I go to the gym in the morning to only lift weights and in the afternoon I go to a cardio class but that’s it’s. I don’t even get to 10,000 steps daily. Should this be my problem?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Jarettzy18 wrote: »
    I actually learned a lot from these forums, as well as reading lifting books, like Strong Curves and New Rules of Lifting for Women.

If you want to lose weight, you want to eat in a deficit #1, so less than you burn. Lifting (progressive over time) will help you maintain muscle as you lose fat (also good for health and strength), along with adequate protein. If you do not lift, you will lose fat and way more muscle than you would otherwise and have a softer appearance/higher bodyfat when you get to goal. I've done it both ways and my results from lifting vs not lifting were quite different.

You can add some cardio to that to help burn more calories add to that deficit (it is also good for health and fitness). But keep in mind too much cardio can start to affect lifting performance and recovery in many so you don't want to overdo it.

While some people can gain a bit of muscle in a deficit under certain circumstances, you will mostly be retaining what you have right now. So once you get closer to goal, and you feel like you don't have the muscle base you are happy with you can either eat at maintenance to recomp, or you can run bulk (surplus) cycles to put on weight to gain muscle.

All along I’ve been thinking weights burn more calories than cardio oh myyyy🤦🏻‍♀️ Should I walk in the treadmill for an hour to increase my steps? I’m not an active person. I go to the gym in the morning to only lift weights and in the afternoon I go to a cardio class but that’s it’s. I don’t even get to 10,000 steps daily. Should this be my problem?

Cardio is great for health and adding to your deficit. While it's good to be active, you don't need to go crazy with it. Start with your food intake.. then let the rest follow
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Jarettzy18 wrote: »

Find something you enjoy doing. No need to waste precious time on the dreadmill - there are a lot of enjoyable activities that you can do for cardio... dancing, walking around random neighborhoods (or snowshoeing/XC-skiing them), hiking, cycling, rollerblading, sports, window shopping,...