Gained around 2.5 lbs in a week?

Options
aidayazd95
aidayazd95 Posts: 46 Member
edited October 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys,
First, i dont know what category this belongs to so :wink:

So... Since last week, i checked myself on the scale, i was 115.6 lbs
and yesterday it was 116.5 and today 118 lbs.

I dont how it went up? I've been eating good, and i work at a kids club in a gym so im pretty active.
Only yesterday went to this healthy salad buffet place, i ate two plates full, im sure i had lots of
calories by just the beans and chickpeas. I've been drinking tons of water just in case if it was water weight from any salt i've overeaten?

I usually have my limits on what i eat. I dont count calories as much as i do on sugar, salt, carbs, protein, and fat. But im sure i had enough calories based on BMR and how active i was.

What do you guys think?

I'm a female, 5'1
I kind of overthink even by gaining half a pound lol.

Replies

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I'm up 2.5 lbs from Monday. Dont worry about it, it's water.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 thanks for posting that! do you have a link to it as I'd like to share it on my newsfeed if thats ok? thanks, Ruth
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 thanks for posting that! do you have a link to it as I'd like to share it on my newsfeed if thats ok? thanks, Ruth

It's in the Infographic thread here (like you I was repeating the same thing, so it's easier now just to copy/paste :lol: )
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 thanks for that :smile:
  • aidayazd95
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thank you guys! I really hope it’s water weight. And i’ve noticed my tummy is little bloated and I should be close to that time of the month (period) but the thing is i never really bloat by 2.5 lbs and its usually less and sometimes not even at all? Cuz i check myself everyday and been doing that for months. I keep drinking water and less salt, it cant be the sodium intake.
    So you all suggest me to check my weight next week? Or 2 weeks?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    2.5 Lbs is well within the norm for natural weight fluctuations
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just to ease your mind a little bit, the water weight can disappear just as rapidly! I weigh myself every day and lost 1.6 pounds overnight.
  • aidayazd95
    Options
    Makes lot’s of sense!
  • aidayazd95
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    aidayazd95 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I dont how it went up? I've been eating good, and i work at a kids club in a gym so im pretty active.
    Only yesterday went to this healthy salad buffet place, i ate two plates full, im sure i had lots of
    calories by just the beans and chickpeas
    . I've been drinking tons of water just in case if it was water weight from any salt i've overeaten?

I usually have my limits on what i eat. I dont count calories as much as i do on sugar, salt, carbs, protein, and fat. But im sure i had enough calories based on BMR and how active i was.

What do you guys think?

I'm a female, 5'1

I'm sure you didn't gain two and a half pounds of actual fat, and that most of it is water weight, but unless you are counting your calories, it is impossible to definitively say that you haven't gained any fat. You said that you had lots of calories, but just by beans and chickpeas. If you go over your maintenance calories eating any food, whether it is beans and chickpeas, or pizza and ice cream, then you will gain weight. If your goal is weight loss, then I would suggest counting your calories to verify that you are actually in a deficit. I wouldn't worry as much about macros except to make sure you are getting adequate protein to preserve muscle. I kind of cringed when I read that you had two plates full at a "healthy salad buffet place". Salads can be calorie dense as well depending how they are made and what is on them, and considering your stats, I wouldn't think you would have a lot of calories to play with to still be in a deficit. Weight loss definitely is not linear, and it is normal to experience daily fluctuations, but at the same time, I think you need to start logging properly to ensure that you are on the right track to achieving whatever goals you have set.

So counting calories would be better?
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

calories by just the beans and chickpeas
    . I've been drinking tons of water just in case if it was water weight from any salt i've overeaten?

What do you guys think?

I'm a female, 5'1

I'm sure you didn't gain two and a half pounds of actual fat, and that most of it is water weight, but unless you are counting your calories, it is impossible to definitively say that you haven't gained any fat. You said that you had lots of calories, but just by beans and chickpeas. If you go over your maintenance calories eating any food, whether it is beans and chickpeas, or pizza and ice cream, then you will gain weight. If your goal is weight loss, then I would suggest counting your calories to verify that you are actually in a deficit. I wouldn't worry as much about macros except to make sure you are getting adequate protein to preserve muscle. I kind of cringed when I read that you had two plates full at a "healthy salad buffet place". Salads can be calorie dense as well depending how they are made and what is on them, and considering your stats, I wouldn't think you would have a lot of calories to play with to still be in a deficit. Weight loss definitely is not linear, and it is normal to experience daily fluctuations, but at the same time, I think you need to start logging properly to ensure that you are on the right track to achieving whatever goals you have set.

So counting calories would be better?

Yes, considering your stats, and the fact that you probably don't have a lot of wiggle room calorically, I think it is important for you to be as accurate as possible.
  • aidayazd95
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thank you guys! I really hope it’s water weight. And i’ve noticed my tummy is little bloated and I should be close to that time of the month (period) but the thing is i never really bloat by 2.5 lbs and its usually less and sometimes not even at all? Cuz i check myself everyday and been doing that for months. I keep drinking water and less salt, it cant be the sodium intake.
    So you all suggest me to check my weight next week? Or 2 weeks?

Check it every day and compare it to a similar point in your cycle last month.