Why do vegetables have fat?

Options
Hi, so I’ve been thinking about fat. Animal fat is probably a good thing to eat I reckon because it’s natures way of storing food for the animal to use later, so it’s probably a pretty good food source for us too. But what about vegetables? Like, why does an olive have fat? Or an avocado?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Huh. I've been around here a few years but I've never seen that asked. Good one!

I'm guessing here....
    Vegetables don't have much fat. Fruits tend to have more fat, so maybe like having more sugar, it is to induce animals to eat it and spread the seeds. Olives, coconuts, and avocados are all fruits (technically, so are nuts) so maybe it appeals to animals that like fats? Actual vegetables like lettuce don't have the tasty fat, and don't want those parts to be eaten. Maybe.

Maybe it is for storage. The seeds are surrounded by/made of fats and the fats act as a preservative? Or maybe the seeds can use the fats for germination and early growth.

Fat is not the typical energy storage for plants. That's usually sugars or starch, depending on the plant.
  • MikeLearnsHowToEat
    MikeLearnsHowToEat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. It’s an interesting question isn’t it? Google doesn’t seem to know either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    That's a question for God (if you have one), not for MFP.

Maybe so that the animals who eat only vegetables will get some essential amount of fat? Fat is a good way for plants to store food, too. Seeds are mostly little nutrition bundles designed to feed the baby plant until it can get roots down, and they normally contain fats. Some seeds have little fat bloblets on the outside called elaiosomes; they're designed to be tasty to persuade ants and such to move the seeds around so the plants are more widely distributed. Some other plants may contain fats for similar reasons - to get animals to eat/spread them. There are even some seeds that need to go through an animal's digestive system to thrive.

And why would you ask this question about fats? Wouldn't the same logic apply to carbs in plants, or proteins?

I can't decide whether I believe you're over-thinking this, or under-thinking it.

Eating lots of animal fat probably mostly isn't really a super-great plan for humans, BTW.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Try using this to figure out your macros:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

It's easier than trying to work it out by speculating about plant fats, or reading dozens of research papers. Humans are pretty adaptable omnivores. Get enough protein, enough fats (the plant ones are good for you, BTW), and a boatload of fruits/veggies, hit your calorie goal, and you'll do fine.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Because I’m trying to work out what macro ratio I should have. I just read an article that said people who ate 35% of their calories from fat were 23% less likely to die over the 7 years of the study. So it’s obviously good for you. I’m trying to properly learn about foods - like fundamentally. I like your idea that the seeds have stored fat to feed them while they grow - before they can get any sunlight I assume.

Could you share the article? Thanks. :)
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hi, so I’ve been thinking about fat. Animal fat is probably a good thing to eat I reckon because it’s natures way of storing food for the animal to use later, so it’s probably a pretty good food source for us too. But what about vegetables? Like, why does an olive have fat? Or an avocado?

They’re conspiring....
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Thanks. :)

It would have been interesting if they approached that more exactly with the macros. Like:
    high carb = 65% C, 20% P, 15% F
    Moderation = 40% C, 20% P, 40% F
    high fat = 15% C, 20% P, 65% F

Or something like that.

Their "high fat" diet was only 35%. That is barely high, and may be more moderate depending on your calorie intake.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I would think macro goals are an individual thing depending on your nutritional goals. A person with diabetes might have lower carb goals than others. Someone focused on building muscle might focus on increasing protein. I often try to pick foods based on the DASH diet for hypertension rather than macro goals. Coincidentally when I am more compliant about it, my macros line up pretty close to the MFP generic settings. I do find it interesting to look at each person’s approach toward weight loss. We are each unique and each have different goals. I learn a lot from other people’s perspectives.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    maybe because those things you mention are seed carriers, maybe the fat protects the seed, provides nutrients to grow a new plant. IDK. That's my 50 cent guess.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    http://lifeofplant.blogspot.com/2011/03/lipids.html

Not a fan of blogs but this has an excellent explanation about the function of fat in plants.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    So they don’t get cold?
    ;)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Some plants seeds only germinate after passing through an animal's digestive tract. Tasty, accessible fat can serve as an evolutionary advantage. The avocado used an animal which did not survive human invasion of the western hemisphere following the most recent ice age.