So many myths it’s exhausting.

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    To lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit which you can achieve through diet alone. But if your goal long term is to add some muscle and lose fat exercise is key. I’m a 38yr old woman with thyroid disease and I have been able to decrease my body fat percentage while adding some muscle so I can tell you what I did. I suspect that someone younger or without my medical issues would probably have faster results. I’ve been at this a little over 2yr now.

I started by maintaining a modest and maintainable calorie deficit while playing around with different workouts and activities just to explore what I enjoyed and get used to moving more at first. I really love hiking and boxing now. Doing this got me to the top end of a healthy BMI range.

Once I reached a healthy weight I became more focused on my macros and training schedule. I do 3-4month bulk/cut cycles. I alternate between cardio and strength days when bulking and cutting. When I’m bulking my runs on cardio days involve more hills and I don’t time them. It’s more about challenging my body on different terrains. In the gym I’ll add more weight and less reps for strength days. When cutting I run longer on flat ground and work towards improving my speed getting my heart rate up higher and focus on increased reps without adding weight on strength days. For diet calories are still king but I focus on hitting my protein first for both cycles. When cutting I also reduce my net carbs (not super low but goal is 100g net max).

You will have to find the right combination for you. I currently lift twice a week, boxing once a week, Jazzercize with light hand weights (3-10lb) once a week, and run the other days. The boxing and Jazzercize both incorporate cardio and strength into the same workout which I really enjoy.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited October 2018
    Jarettzy18 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    From your posts you do seem to be actively seeking to make sometime simple more complicated - perhaps that's a subconscious searching for a justification for...
    "I have like 4 years on my journey to lose weight and I always give up"

(You aren't alone - I put off losing my excess weight for 20 years with a really silly excuse! Don't let searching for complication be your excuse.)

Losing weight is as simple and as boring as eating a bit less than you need to.
    To improve that slightly then the phrase "eat less, move more" adds in improving health/fitness and creating a positive habit.

• Eating a bit less than your needs is by far the biggest driver for creating a calorie deficit.
    • Strength training is the biggest driver for muscle retention.
    • Cardio is the biggest driver for CV health and fitness.

So do those three things consistently over an extended period and you will lose fat, retain muscle, improve health and fitness.

You could share this link with your trainer as their advice is poor for your stated goals but personally I think you need to simplify the process not complicate.
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html/

Okay so I think I’ve been doing this wrong all along then. I lift weights and do a cardio class in the afternoon. But that’s really all I do, I am not really active. Should I walk for an hour or more in the treadmill just to increase my daily steps? I am not active. I go to the gym in the mornings to lift and in the afternoon I attend a cardio class and that’s pretty much it.

Intense cardio sessions and a sedentary job are working fine for me. Some days I get zero exercise and maybe 2000 steps. I get a solid cardio session in every other weekday (sometimes things come up and I miss that). Some days I am more active outside of dedicated exercise, but the exercise is what improved my general fitness (able to walk for miles without getting too tired, up a few flights of stairs without getting breathless, etc).

I am not preaching cardio only; just saying that intermittent cardio seems to be just as effective as an overall increase in activity. It's also more measurable and easier to succeed at IMO. I can't change the fact that I have the most value sitting at my desk; I can move a bit more but I can't make my job be really active.
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    shaf238 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I actually learned a lot from these forums, as well as reading lifting books, like Strong Curves and New Rules of Lifting for Women.

If you want to lose weight, you want to eat in a deficit #1, so less than you burn. Lifting (progressive over time) will help you maintain muscle as you lose fat (also good for health and strength), along with adequate protein. If you do not lift, you will lose fat and way more muscle than you would otherwise and have a softer appearance/higher bodyfat when you get to goal. I've done it both ways and my results from lifting vs not lifting were quite different.

You can add some cardio to that to help burn more calories add to that deficit (it is also good for health and fitness). But keep in mind too much cardio can start to affect lifting performance and recovery in many so you don't want to overdo it.

While some people can gain a bit of muscle in a deficit under certain circumstances, you will mostly be retaining what you have right now. So once you get closer to goal, and you feel like you don't have the muscle base you are happy with you can either eat at maintenance to recomp, or you can run bulk (surplus) cycles to put on weight to gain muscle.
    Always so much good advice and knowledge.

All along I’ve been thinking weights burn more calories than cardio oh myyyy🤦🏻‍♀️ Should I walk in the treadmill for an hour to increase my steps? I’m not an active person. I go to the gym in the morning to only lift weights and in the afternoon I go to a cardio class but that’s it’s. I don’t even get to 10,000 steps daily. Should this be my problem?

Find something you enjoy doing. No need to waste precious time on the dreadmill - there are a lot of enjoyable activities that you can do for cardio... dancing, walking around random neighborhoods (or snowshoeing/XC-skiing them), hiking, cycling, rollerblading, sports, window shopping,...

The thing is I don’t have nothing to do. I just go to the gym sometimes work as a substitute and that’s pretty much it. I’m not active so I’m guessing this is why I don’t lose weight because I don’t burn enough calories? Idk.
  • JanetReyna
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    To lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit which you can achieve through diet alone. But if your goal long term is to add some muscle and lose fat exercise is key. I’m a 38yr old woman with thyroid disease and I have been able to decrease my body fat percentage while adding some muscle so I can tell you what I did. I suspect that someone younger or without my medical issues would probably have faster results. I’ve been at this a little over 2yr now.

I started by maintaining a modest and maintainable calorie deficit while playing around with different workouts and activities just to explore what I enjoyed and get used to moving more at first. I really love hiking and boxing now. Doing this got me to the top end of a healthy BMI range.

Once I reached a healthy weight I became more focused on my macros and training schedule. I do 3-4month bulk/cut cycles. I alternate between cardio and strength days when bulking and cutting. When I’m bulking my runs on cardio days involve more hills and I don’t time them. It’s more about challenging my body on different terrains. In the gym I’ll add more weight and less reps for strength days. When cutting I run longer on flat ground and work towards improving my speed getting my heart rate up higher and focus on increased reps without adding weight on strength days. For diet calories are still king but I focus on hitting my protein first for both cycles. When cutting I also reduce my net carbs (not super low but goal is 100g net max).

You will have to find the right combination for you. I currently lift twice a week, boxing once a week, Jazzercize with light hand weights (3-10lb) once a week, and run the other days. The boxing and Jazzercize both incorporate cardio and strength into the same workout which I really enjoy.

Well that’s my problem. I don’t know what to do because I do weight training and some cardio and try to eat healthy and I still don’t lose weight. I’m only active when I’m @ the gym because I don’t do anything else at home. So that is why I’m saying maybe using the treadmill for over an hour will help me walk more and burn more calories because of the steps. How can I know how many calories I burn each day. What device can I use?
  • JanetReyna
    mmapags wrote: »
    I actually learned a lot from these forums, as well as reading lifting books, like Strong Curves and New Rules of Lifting for Women.

If you want to lose weight, you want to eat in a deficit #1, so less than you burn. Lifting (progressive over time) will help you maintain muscle as you lose fat (also good for health and strength), along with adequate protein. If you do not lift, you will lose fat and way more muscle than you would otherwise and have a softer appearance/higher bodyfat when you get to goal. I've done it both ways and my results from lifting vs not lifting were quite different.

You can add some cardio to that to help burn more calories add to that deficit (it is also good for health and fitness). But keep in mind too much cardio can start to affect lifting performance and recovery in many so you don't want to overdo it.

While some people can gain a bit of muscle in a deficit under certain circumstances, you will mostly be retaining what you have right now. So once you get closer to goal, and you feel like you don't have the muscle base you are happy with you can either eat at maintenance to recomp, or you can run bulk (surplus) cycles to put on weight to gain muscle.

All along I’ve been thinking weights burn more calories than cardio oh myyyy🤦🏻‍♀️ Should I walk in the treadmill for an hour to increase my steps? I’m not an active person. I go to the gym in the morning to only lift weights and in the afternoon I go to a cardio class but that’s it’s. I don’t even get to 10,000 steps daily. Should this be my problem?

Cardio is great for health and adding to your deficit. While it's good to be active, you don't need to go crazy with it. Start with your food intake.. then let the rest follow

Cardio is great for health and adding to your deficit. While it's good to be active, you don't need to go crazy with it. Start with your food intake.. then let the rest follow

This! ^ Weights don't burn more calories but they shape your body better. Manageange the calorie part with diet. You don't "have" to do anything more. If you "want" to give yourself a little more dietary flexibility with calories and have the time, sure walk more. Getting the 10,000 steps is nice but controlling the diet is the key. That and resistance training will give you a great looking body.

What happens in the cardio class? You must get some calorie burn from that. Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread. Here is the thing. It's not a rules based thing with the exception of eating less than you burn. Everything else is a bonus. Be careful about too much focus on the scale. You can make some great body changes while not having weight drop that much. Take a look at this thread and the pics posted.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/42695689#Comment_42695689

This lady lost weight and gained it all back in a fabulous way!

Yes girl. This is what I’m trying to explain I weight lift because later on when I’m leaner I want to gain more muscle. But that’s a whole other story, right now my main goal is to maintain muscle and lose weight. The only time I’m active is when I go to the gym because when I’m in my house I don’t even reach 7,000 steps. But I have nothing else to do, so that’s why I said maybe walking on the treadmill for an hour can help my daily steps. Also, I’m familiar with the calorie deficit but i find it hard to track my calories burned even with my Apple Watch. What can be an accurate device so I can get familiar with my calories burned and make a deficit???
  • lbryans929
    lbryans929 Posts: 42 Member
    Very helpful thread!
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Your food consumption is the most efficient variable to change for fat loss. Think of a donut for example. That little bit size treat that you can eat in a couple of minutes is going to be about 250cal or so. It will take about 60min on a treadmill at 3mph to burn that off. I would focus on your calories for fat loss. Think of the exercise merely as a bonus for fat loss.

What you eat will affect how much of your loss is fat vs. lean mass. There are lots of books on that topic. I like Lyle McDonald's writing style and he backs up his arguments. There are many others. The reality is some percentage of your loss will be lean mass. That is just how it works.

Focus on the exercise to improve your cardiovascular fitness and use the weights to try to build some lean mass. People tend to have this crazy idea they touch a weight and they will make huge gains. That is not the case. Very meticulous body builders can be happy with 10-15lb of lean mass increase in a year. Another bonus of exercise is the change in your mindset.

Keep it simple. It has to be a plan that works for you and your life long term. Most of us that creep into the unhealthy weight category have problems with extremes. Finding a balance that will work for you and your life is difficult and is the most important aspect to focus on if this is to be a life change. I'll be honest. I have done this once before, and now I am doing it again.