Cheat Days

Options
How often do you allow yourself a cheat day? Do you still log your food for that day?

I'm looking forward to a good cheat day but I've only been doing this a few weeks and I dont think the time is right yet. Would love any input! :)

Replies

• mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm not as diligent as I could be on weekends (especially saturday).....some might cal my Saturday a cheat day. I consider it training for when I need to maintain rather than lose, as there will always be days where you can't control what you eat, or feel like letting and/or have friends over for a special occasion.
  • tiabugg217
    tiabugg217 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tend to gain one or two pounds if I have an entire cheat day. It totally throws me off and makes me frustrated. I may allow a cheat meal every few weeks, but I still log how many calories I'm eating. I also try to work out a little extra the day before or after a higher calorie meal so that it doesn't impact my weight as much.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't ever have an entire day of cheating either. Some days, I'll have a small piece of birthday cake at the office. On those days, I skip the birthday lunch that's usually held at a restaurant of the celebrant's choice - usually junk. If I go to the b-day lunch, I don't have cake. On both of those days (with cake or without), I add some extra exercise... even if it's just playing tag with my kids in the yard for 20 minutes. I log my cake... I log my snacks.... I log my meals stringently. I like to know what I'm putting in my body and how my future self is going to look. The way you are now is only a product of past choices... it is not who you will become!
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    Try treats instead of cheats... if you treat yourself to small portions of things you crave every once and a while, it'll be easier to maintain in the long run. Cheating for an entire day is only going to cheat yourself.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    Having a "cheat day" every now and then isn't as bad as you might think. I prefer to call it "calorie cycling" :wink:. How often you do it depends on how far along you are in your weight loss. When I first started, I only did one every couple of months. Now that I have hit my goal weight, I do it once a week and have been able to maintain for almost two years! It really depends on your body though. What worked for me may or may not work for the next person.
  • irisnyx
    irisnyx Posts: 7
    Options
    I basically give myself a cheat day every three weeks. I do better if it's every four. It seems to be good for motivation as long as I do not go completely over the top.
  • jjewelty
    jjewelty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like to log my entire day in the morning, then correct it in the evening. If I know I'm going out to my favorite restaurant, I log it before I go, then cut somewhere else, or add some exercise to my day to cover it. I really haven't had any days that I go over by more than a few calories because I work it off somewhere else. It's a lifestyle, and MFP makes it into a game for me! I love it! :)
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Cheating could be pretty detrimental. One meal outside at any restaurant averages 1000 calories. If you're eating three meals out in one day, it's almost a pound. Eat what you want, just ration your portions.
  • Pulse1
    Pulse1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Our cheat day is Saturday.

I don't hunt down my food on Saturdays, I just put down 2500 blank calories for the day. If there's something I think I'll need to remember I just add it in to my notes.

This way, the cheat days spike on my charts but I can just enjoy the day (which is kind part of the fun on a cheat day) but I put something in place for future me to reference.
  • Pulse1
    Pulse1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cheating could be pretty detrimental. One meal outside at any restaurant averages 1000 calories. If you're eating three meals out in one day, it's almost a pound. Eat what you want, just ration your portions.

Depends on which plan you're following.

Some of them (like the Slow-Carb diet listed in the 4 Hour Body) require a cheat day and recommend a massive intake of calories and carbs that day.

Your weight will also spike, early in the week, but will usually taper back down to pre-cheat-day levels in 2 or 3 days.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I log everything.
    I think that the food we eat on special occasions nourishes our soul, so it shouldn't be skimped on.
    What you need to do is make sure you only "indulge" on truly special occasions and that you workout harder for a day or two after.

For example, if you have Thanksgiving at your house, eat what you want, but the leftover pies either get given away or tossed.
  • hillendahl
    hillendahl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't like to think of it as "cheating". That brings in too much negative feelings. Its a matter of perspective. People who are naturally thin, aren't dieting...or making life style changes do not think in terms of cheat days vs. dieting days.

Its about living life...and living life in moderation.

When I began my changes it was with full understanding that I was going to live as normal a life as possible.

Birthdays, Thanksgiving, 4th of July BBQ's...Christmas....these are events that come up every year and I refuse to not participate like I would normally have.

The way I figure there are maybe 15 days out of the year...when 90% of American's are celebrating something...and the something usually has some sort of traditional meal....

On these days...I eat what other eat....For example. Thanksgiving...I will be eating Turkey and Dressing with cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. And...I won't feel guilty about it.

Even if I have a "cheat day" for holidays...that still lives 350 or so days the rest of the year to eat healthy.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day most every week. I still log it, but for the most part my cheat days don't involve overeating on calories, it involves eating foods I know aren't good for me, like pastries and croissants or fast-food. Or being completely off on my macros, I might have what is essentially an almost all carb day, or a day with way to many saturated fats (the "bad" kind).
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of a "cheat meal" instead of a whole day. I wont pretend that I wont fall off the wagon from time to time though...but maybe if I allow myself a good cheat meal every few weeks it will be easier to stick to this! I cant imagine life without some Mcdonalds or a big piece of chocolate cake every now and then :P
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    I log all food and my calorie count varies from day to day. I don't consider that to be cheating at all - the average calorie count is the more important number.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Cheat days makes absolutely no sense to me.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I allow a cheat meal once per week, where I can eat what ever I want. On a previous diet I allowed a cheat day, you can really eat a lot o calories in a cheat day I wouldn't recommend it.

I also think it is important to plan your cheat meals. Spontaneous cheat meals lead to guilt, and you are more likely to eat something bad for you you didn't really want.

I also allow my self to eat extra calories if I burn a lot off. For example a long hike or bike ride burns off 1500-2000 calories which affords me another free cheat meal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    How often do you allow yourself a cheat day? Do you still log your food for that day?

I'm looking forward to a good cheat day but I've only been doing this a few weeks and I dont think the time is right yet. Would love any input! :)
    EVERY SINGLE DAY. At least that's what some people would think. I don't limit any foods. Eating McDonald's for lunch.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with counting anything on a cheat day, so I don't log it. But I only allow myself a cheat day once or twice a month. I put it on the calendar, and it's something I look forward to.
  • losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big "cheater". I feel like I'm too still early into my journey to start slacking off. I log everything religiously and it makes me feel good to keep within the limits I've set for myself. Of course there are some days when a treat will call to me but i try to make it the healthiest version possible. For instance, hot summer day and I'm DYING for an ice cream - I'll go to the store and buy 1 yogurt bar. I don't keep temptations in the house so I have to make an effort to get anything that is on the "naughty list". If I'm willing to walk to the store for it then I feel like I deserve it. If it's not worth the effort (and on a really hot day, it often isn't) then I don't go and my reward is not eating unnecessary treats. Or if it's chips that I want, I'll buy some low fat snackbread or rice cakes.

It's all about balance. So I say if you really want it, and you are willing to work for it (ie: walk/bike to the store to get it) then go to town. But always log everything. Too easy to get out of control if you stop journalling.

Good luck!