Cutting, no weight loss in 3 weeks. Stick with it or adjust?

I started logging and eating at a deficit about 3 weeks ago. My plan was to lose 15-20 pounds from 205 to about 185-190. I also had not been lifting for about a month because of a crazy work schedule, so I started lifting again right as I started the deficit.

In the 3 weeks I've been at it, I've done OK but not great with calories. I'm trying to underestimate exercise and overestimate any food that I don't weigh (more so than I've done previously when I successfully dropped weight). I've been going over on calories many days, but less (I think) so than previously when I successfully dropped about a pound a week.

In the 3 weeks, I seem to have visibly lost fat, and I've gone down a belt notch. My weight is staying constant though.

I know some of this could be water and that weight varies naturally, but I am frustrated not seeing weight go down, especially since seem to be losing fat.

Do folks have any suggestions based on this admittedly minimal information? Should I try hard to do better about staying under calorie goal or just not worry about it and be patient? The advice I see a lot is to be patient and go by the mirror, but I'm kinda getting anxious to see the weight go down.

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Be patient.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    edited October 2018
    You say your going over many days. What’s your weekly deficit look like?? Are you still in a deficit in a weekly basis? And if so , how much. And if not well there’s your answer

And are you weighing daily under the same circumstances and taking a moving average?
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Assuming that my measurements and tdee calculations are right, I averaged a 360 kcal/day deficit last week. I’m weighing at the same time every couple of days on the same scale.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    mreichard wrote: »
    Assuming that my measurements and tdee calculations are right, I averaged a 360 kcal/day deficit last week. I’m weighing at the same time every couple of days on the same scale.

With logging inaccuracies that 360 iis probably not even that but it is also early days and you have introduced a new workout...give it a few more weeks but aim to be more accurate with your logging.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    I’m sure my logging is inaccurate, but no more so that the three previous cuts where I’ve dropped about a pound a week starting pretty much right away, as regularly as clockwork. Really what I’m puzzling over is what’s different this time.

One thing that is different in the gym - I’ve switched upper body stuff to much higher volume and lower weight (5 sets of 10 in most exercises as opposed to 5/3/1 that I was doing before) due to persistent shoulder issues (which has worked - shoulders are the best they’ve been in years). I’ve also added accessory work that I wasn’t doing before, and now that I think about it, I’ve added BBB sets to the end of my squat sets. I guess the change in volume could cause some water weight?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited October 2018
    mreichard wrote: »
    I’m sure my logging is inaccurate, but no more so that the three previous cuts where I’ve dropped about a pound a week starting pretty much right away, as regularly as clockwork. Really what I’m puzzling over is what’s different this time.

One thing that is different in the gym - I’ve switched upper body stuff to much higher volume and lower weight (5 sets of 10 in most exercises as opposed to 5/3/1 that I was doing before) due to persistent shoulder issues (which has worked - shoulders are the best they’ve been in years). I’ve also added accessory work that I wasn’t doing before, and now that I think about it, I’ve added BBB sets to the end of my squat sets. I guess the change in volume could cause some water weight?

It is quite possible you are retaining some water from the new workout still, it can take several weeks for some people.

Having said that, if you logged inaccurately before and you are logging inaccurately now, you don't know that your inaccuracy is the same. There is a thing called "portion creep" where over time you think you are serving yourself the same amount of a food as you always have, but you are actually giving yourself a little bit more and a little bit more over time. Definitely happened to me!

It couldn't hurt to use a food scale for at least a couple of weeks and verify the entries you are using in the database. If it turns out you are off more than you thought, you'll know how to correct it and then you can just get on with your progress. If it turns out your logging is on point, then you've eliminated the most obvious variable and can look deeper at other possibilities.

Whatever you decide to do, hang in there and good luck!
  • perris101
    perris101 Posts: 15 Member
    Trying also👍
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    I was just coming in to say make sure you button down and actually hit your target before moving it. Saw your reply. 9.5 pounds congrats!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    set exercise to 1 calorie burnt and don't eat any back (well, you can't at 1 calorie anyway).

if your logging is innacurate, there's your answer.

My problem with cutting is that I hate being hungry so it takes me FOREVER to drop weight.